inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fave Singles from The Genesis

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 06/24/05 at 11:41 am

Vote here.

N.B. Remember that some of the singles were released before and after the 80's. Only vote for the above. Do not add or ask questions

Subject: Re: Fave Singles from The Genesis

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/24/05 at 11:45 am

It's between;

'I Know What I Like (in your wardrobe) '  or 'Many Too Many'

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 06/24/05 at 11:47 am

It's between;

I Know What I Like (in your wardrobe) '  or 'Many Too Many'

I have not added that to the list. Sorry for any iinconvenience caused :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/24/05 at 11:52 am

^ That's OK I just voted for one of them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/05 at 11:59 am

Can you please remind me what were the tracks on the 1977 EP Spot The Pigeon?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/24/05 at 12:03 pm

Can you please remind me what were the tracks on the 1977 EP Spot The Pigeon?

Oh yes - a hit in May 1977

Written By: Chris Fulmer on 06/24/05 at 4:01 pm

They had a number of good ones, but "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" stands out the most. 

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 06/24/05 at 4:40 pm

They had a number of good ones, but "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" stands out the most. 

"Tonight Tonight Tonight" was a superb song. I loved a load of songs from 1987 and this one was one of my all time faves from that year.

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 06/25/05 at 1:41 am

If you like the song, then why haven't you voted for it ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/05 at 1:53 am

Mama
Land Of Confusion
I Can't Dance 
Tonight Tonight Tonight
Jesus He Knows Me

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/25/05 at 2:42 am

I wish 'Many Too Many'  had been in there - but never mind.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/05 at 2:43 am

I regard the video for I Can't Dance as one of the best ever made.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/25/05 at 2:48 am

I regard the video for I Can't Dance as one of the best ever made.

YES!!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/05 at 2:49 am

YES!!   ;)
Was it the same video that had Phil Collins doing the Michael Jackson dance (even zipping up his fly)?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/25/05 at 3:04 am

Was it the same video that had Phil Collins doing the Michael Jackson dance (even zipping up his fly)?

Did he do a crotch-grab thing too  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/05 at 3:10 am

Did he do a crotch-grab thing too  ::)
He was checking for his car keys.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/25/05 at 3:43 am

I just noticed something - and I'm sorry to nit pick  but were they called 'The' Genesis or just Genesis?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/05 at 3:44 am

I just noticed something - and I'm sorry to nit pick  but were they called 'The' Genesis or just Genesis?
You are right, it is Genesis.

Written By: hornet on 06/26/05 at 5:04 pm

Follow You Follow Me  .....always loved this tune !

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/27/05 at 3:48 am

By

GENESIS

Written By: hornet on 06/27/05 at 4:42 am

lol  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/27/05 at 11:18 am

Hold On My Heart
That's All
Misunderstanding
Invisible Touch
Throwing It All Away

This was a great band!

Tanya

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/28/05 at 9:06 am

Hehe, I can't believe someone else thought of that since I found that to be one of the funniest things at the time -- right after the "I Can't Dance" song fades out, he imitates MJ's rampage at the end of the "Black or White" video. ;D

It always seemed that Phil was a genously nice guy with a good sense of humor, but this surprised even me.

Anyway, I don't even know how I could do this post justice - they're one of my favorite bands of the 80's. From 1981-92 they were arguably similar to Phil Collins' solo work, but with more experimentation and a progressive element.

For a 100% fave song, probably "Invisible Touch" - upbeat and happy are two words that best describe it to me. They did everything great though, from ballads (Taking it All Too Hard, In Too Deep, Never a Time) to slightly hard rockers (Just a Job to Do, Abacab) or just good pop/rock (That's All).

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/28/05 at 2:22 pm

I have the album DUKE and one of Collins solo albums FACE VALUE, but it's quite a sad one cos' I think it reflects his feelings at the time of his breakup with his wife?  I'm not sure.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/28/05 at 3:25 pm

I have the album DUKE and one of Collins solo albums FACE VALUE, but it's quite a sad one cos' I think it reflects his feelings at the time of his breakup with his wife? I'm not sure.

Yeah "I Missed Again" is the only remotely 'happy' song on there - I tried listening to it as a whole and you're right, it is pretty depressing.

I guess on the other end of his hitmaking career, Both Sides was pretty dark and sad too - but I did like the ballad "Everyday" from 1994 (his last real hit, and the most "pop" song on there), though it sounded more 80's.

Overall I way prefer his mid-career Genesis and No Jacket Required-era solo work.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/28/05 at 4:09 pm

Yeah "I Missed Again" is the only remotely 'happy' song on there - I tried listening to it as a whole and you're right, it is pretty depressing.

I guess on the other end of his hitmaking career, Both Sides was pretty dark and sad too - but I did like the ballad "Everyday" from 1994 (his last real hit, and the most "pop" song on there), though it sounded more 80's.

Overall I way prefer his mid-career Genesis and No Jacket Required-era solo work.

Yeah. I have vague memories as a youngster sitting in my friends bedroom while we sang 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe.') at the top of our voices, while we recorded it on one of those old portable tape recorders - we were in hysterics listening back to it   ;D
Happy days  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/28/05 at 4:24 pm

^ LOL I never could listen to my voice on tape--I literally cringe.

But if it helps any, I'm one of the few people in the year 2005 who still frequently uses tapes and all kinds of cassette technology - even though I do have CD burning and the Internet. ;D

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/28/05 at 9:33 pm

Land of confusion

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 06/28/05 at 10:33 pm

Definitely "Land of Confusion."

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/29/05 at 4:30 am

^ LOL I never could listen to my voice on tape--I literally cringe.

But if it helps any, I'm one of the few people in the year 2005 who still frequently uses tapes and all kinds of cassette technology - even though I do have CD burning and the Internet. ;D

Me too MM - I still love having my old cassettes and collect vinyl singles to this day.  :)

Can you remember when video recorders were the size of a small suitcase  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/05 at 5:42 am

Me too MM - I still love having my old cassettes and collect vinyl singles to this day. :)

Can you remember when video recorders were the size of a small suitcase ;D

Never had my own vinyls, but my parents did buy record singles for me (on one of those "kiddie" Fisher Price type players) when I was real little. And I do recall my uncle making us mixtapes (before my mom did it) using records.

I think by the time I physically recall going to music stores by 1987, records were kinda pushed into the bargain bin - like cassettes are now - so there weren't many left by this time.

As for VCRs: Yeah our old one was this grey Panasonic with a pullout tray (lasted around 10 years!). One thing I noticed about the VCRs today and even in the 90s, is that they're compact. Like the clock and display features are right below the tape slot. Whereas most 80's models had the window to the right of the slot, so it was bigger horizontally.

I just woke up - it's EARLY California time, hope that makes sense. ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/30/05 at 2:58 pm

^ Perfectly  :)

and cell-phones were the size of a house brick  ;D ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/30/05 at 4:26 pm

I voted for "Hold on my Heart."  Such a lovely song...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/30/05 at 9:32 pm

Misunderstanding
Follow You, Follow Me
That's All
Abacab
Invisible Touch

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/30/05 at 9:46 pm

So you're a PC fan too, eh Marty? I too found "Both Sides" a bit depressing. However on "Face Value", I did find a little upbeatness side from "Missed Again" in the songs "This Must Be Love", and "Thunder & Lightning".
If you want to hear Phil at his most upbeat, I highly reccommend his last two solo albums. "Dance Into The Light", is his best set since NJR, while "Testify" best echoes his first two albums, but it's far more postive-sounding. I love'em both, and I think you will too.

As for Genesis, every PC-era album had at least one or two good songs on it. I had to go with my favorite from each(except for Abacab, but "No Reply At All" & "Man On The Corner" weren't there.

"Follow You, Follow Me"
"Turn It On Again"
"That's All"
"Land Of Confusion"
"Jesus, He Knows Me"
BTW, that last one may have been their funniest video ever! Ever notice them doing the "Can't Dance" march, on the album cover labeled It's My Only Album For Christ's Sake!? just one of those subtle little gags that caught my eye.
And in one of the 'rows of heads' scenes in "Land Of Confusion", anyone know who that is walking between them? Just curious.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: dale smith on 07/01/05 at 1:12 pm

i'm a little curious who the genesis are, i've heard of genesis but not the genesis

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/05 at 11:23 pm

I only voted 4:

Invisible Touch
That's All
Throwing it All Away
In Too Deep

My 5th favourite would be other:  Man on the Corner  :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/02/05 at 11:29 pm

In Too Deep
Throwing It All Away
Hold on My Heart

:)

Check for new replies or respond here...