inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: With One Word, Kelly Osbourne Fades To Grey

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 07/01/05 at 7:04 am

What do we all think about Kelly Osbourne's single, "One Word"? I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed what a striking resemblence it bares to "Fade To Grey", by Visage (1982)..
1. Identical melody in the 1st line of vocals -just falls within 7 seconds, which is the legal limit for how much one artist can sample/steal from the work of another, without paying royalties.
2.Visage lyrics for this verse 1:
One man on a lonely platform
One case sitting by his side
Two eyes staring cold and silent
Show fear as he turns to hide

Kelly Osbourne lyrics for verse 1:
One word breaks the code of silence
Silence tells me all I need to know......

3. Copy-cat use of chatter in the background.
4. Identical rhythm (so what, one might say, if it weren't for all the other similarities.)

"One Word" also happens to be the only song in the current top 10 that I actually like, but I still like the original better. ;)

Subject: Re: With One Word, Kelly Osbourne Fades To Grey

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 07/01/05 at 7:40 am

What do we all think about Kelly Osbourne's single, "One Word"? I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed what a striking resemblence it bares to "Fade To Grey", by Visage (1982)..
1. Identical melody in the 1st line of vocals -just falls within 7 seconds, which is the legal limit for how much one artist can sample/steal from the work of another, without paying royalties.
2.Visage lyrics for this verse 1:
One man on a lonely platform
One case sitting by his side
Two eyes staring cold and silent
Show fear as he turns to hide

Kelly Osbourne lyrics for verse 1:
One word breaks the code of silence
Silence tells me all I need to know......

3. Copy-cat use of chatter in the background.
4. Identical rhythm (so what, one might say, if it weren't for all the other similarities.)

"One Word" also happens to be the only song in the current top 10 that I actually like, but I still like the original better. ;)

Kelly Osbourne's is a good version but she might as well have covered Visage's "Fade To Grey".

Check for new replies or respond here...