inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Brenda K. Starr

Written By: george78 on 07/05/05 at 4:51 pm

For a short while, Brenda K. Starr was on the hottest female acts on the scene back in the late 80s. She had catchy dance tracks like "Breakfast In Bed" and "What You See Is What You Get", as well as the ballad with George Lamond, "No Matter What". Starr's biggest hit is "I Still Believe" which climbed into the Top 15 on the pop charts. I used to love that song when I was younger. I bought her Greatest Hits CD that compiled her best English and Spanish material. "I Still Believe" is one of the best break-up songs. It really just hits you when you're trying to get over someone. Trust me, I know.  :(  ;D

Subject: Re: Brenda K. Starr

Written By: iluvthe80s on 07/06/05 at 7:20 am

She's the one who discovered Mariah Carey.  Mariah had been working as a back-up singer for Brenda K Starr, who took her to this big excecutive party one night where she first met Tommy Mottola.  In 1999, Mariah covered 'I Still Believe'.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/06/05 at 4:41 pm

I hope she's no relation to me. ;D

Written By: 90s boy on 07/06/05 at 8:42 pm

She's the one who discovered Mariah Carey.  Mariah had been working as a back-up singer for Brenda K Starr, who took her to this big excecutive party one night where she first met Tommy Mottola.  In 1999, Mariah covered 'I Still Believe'.  :)

the Mariah Carey cover came out in late 1998 10 years after it toped the charts in 1988

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/06/05 at 9:55 pm

Is she the singer who sang that 80's song 'Piano in the Dark'? I always loved that song, but I never knew who sang it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/06/05 at 9:57 pm

Is she the singer who sang that 80's song 'Piano in the Dark'? I always loved that song, but I never knew who sang it.

No, that's Brenda Russell.

Tanya

Written By: ToddR on 07/07/05 at 9:06 am

I gotta say, Starr's original version is MUCH better than Mariah's. The way Brenda sings it, you can almost feel what a person is feeling after a break-up.  :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/07/05 at 2:46 pm

I gotta say, Starr's original version is MUCH better than Mariah's. The way Brenda sings it, you can almost feel what a person is feeling after a break-up.  :\'(

So true!

Tanya

Written By: 90s boy on 07/08/05 at 10:05 pm

i liked both versions :)

another great song is What You See Is What Your Get a great dance song i also liked Pickin Up The Pieces and Straight From the Heart

Written By: tv on 07/09/05 at 3:51 pm

For a short while, Brenda K. Starr was on the hottest female acts on the scene back in the late 80s. She had catchy dance tracks like "Breakfast In Bed" and "What You See Is What You Get", as well as the ballad with George Lamond, "No Matter What". Starr's biggest hit is "I Still Believe" which climbed into the Top 15 on the pop charts. I used to love that song when I was younger. I bought her Greatest Hits CD that compiled her best English and Spanish material. "I Still Believe" is one of the best break-up songs. It really just hits you when you're trying to get over someone. Trust me, I know.  :(   ;D

I love "I still Believe"  too. I saw the music video for it in 2001 I think on MTV 2. The music video I think was set in a bed room of a house and Brenda was going around the room and singing. I like the music video as well as the song.

Written By: 90s boy on 07/10/05 at 12:08 am

I love "I still Believe"  too. I saw the music video for it in 2001 I think on MTV 2. The music video I think was set in a bed room of a house and Brenda was going around the room and singing. I like the music video as well as the song.

yep that the video she's also walking around in NYC

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 07/10/05 at 5:13 am

the Mariah Carey cover came out in late 1998 10 years after it toped the charts in 1988

Topped has two "T's in it and not one. And again, please check what you type.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/10/05 at 5:19 am

Topped has two "T's in it and not one. And again, please check what you type.
Not it doesn't. Topped has two P's and only 1 T  ::)

Please check what YOU type.

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 07/10/05 at 12:04 pm

For a short while, Brenda K. Starr was on the hottest female acts on the scene back in the late 80s. She had catchy dance tracks like "Breakfast In Bed" and "What You See Is What You Get", as well as the ballad with George Lamond, "No Matter What". Starr's biggest hit is "I Still Believe" which climbed into the Top 15 on the pop charts. I used to love that song when I was younger. I bought her Greatest Hits CD that compiled her best English and Spanish material. "I Still Believe" is one of the best break-up songs. It really just hits you when you're trying to get over someone. Trust me, I know.  :(   ;D

"What You See Is What You Get" is such a fantastic song. What Billboard Chart position did this reach?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/12/05 at 2:59 am

Kareoke Queen, you have a serious problem. Who cares is someone makes a mistake or two while writing their post? As long as people can understand it, its ok. You must have really low self esteem, so you point out peoples' minor mistakes to make yourself feel better. What a loser. Usually it's just moderators on message board power trips, but you're the exception. I have some advice, and hopefully you'll take it: GET A LIFE!!

Check for new replies or respond here...