inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Catchy Songs

Written By: MarcDaShark on 07/07/05 at 9:21 pm

Would you agree that the 80's had way more catchier songs than today?  I've noticed that there are a lot more songs from the 80's that I could even name to my friends, and they would start singing them just for the catchy lyrics and things.

I grew up in the 90's and even then there were a lot of kids singing all these different catchy 90's tunes, so maybe even the 90's had more than today.

I haven't heard too many tunes lately that actually make everybody want to sing them all the time.

Subject: Re: Catchy Songs

Written By: pell on 07/07/05 at 10:42 pm

Would you agree that the 80's had way more catchier songs than today?  I've noticed that there are a lot more songs from the 80's that I could even name to my friends, and they would start singing them just for the catchy lyrics and things.

I grew up in the 90's and even then there were a lot of kids singing all these different catchy 90's tunes, so maybe even the 90's had more than today.

I haven't heard too many tunes lately that actually make everybody want to sing them all the time.

Actually I find some of the pop music today does have that same catchiness to them, at least for me. I couldn't stop singing Avril Lavigne's hits when they came out, and Five For Fighting had a couple songs that I just couldn't get out of my head. There are probably some more examples, but I haven't been listening to enough current pop in the last few months to remember any.

You're right, though. If I hear "Let's Hear it for the Boy" on the radio, it'll haunt me all day long.

Written By: robby76 on 07/08/05 at 5:45 am

I think songs were certainly more melodic to sing along to, but really you can sing along to just about anything... Eminem 50 cents - it's just a lot more monotone. The Corrs latest singles were quite 80's in their catchiness.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/08/05 at 3:28 pm

I think songs were certainly more melodic to sing along to, but really you can sing along to just about anything... Eminem 50 cents - it's just a lot more monotone. The Corrs latest singles were quite 80's in their catchiness.

I agree - when I first heard "Breathless" in 2001, it almost sounded like Bananarama (with a Shania Twain-ness to it). :)

I definitely think almost every big hit in the 80s had that "singalong" quality to them. Even alot of 90s songs had it, but it went in a complete mainstream rap-type direction around 1997-99.

Not that there aren't good songs anymore, but not really many that stay in your head all day the way something like "Take on Me", "Out of Touch" or "Refugee" did.

Written By: robby76 on 07/08/05 at 8:32 pm

Actually the word I was looking for was feel-good... songs in the 80's were almost guaranteed to be feel-good happy tunes. It mirrored the times in some way.

Written By: TC1970 on 07/09/05 at 6:15 am

I agree - when I first heard "Breathless" in 2001, it almost sounded like Bananarama (with a Shania Twain-ness to it). :)

I definitely think almost every big hit in the 80s had that "singalong" quality to them. Even alot of 90s songs had it, but it went in a complete mainstream rap-type direction around 1997-99.

Not that there aren't good songs anymore, but not really many that stay in your head all day the way something like "Take on Me", "Out of Touch" or "Refugee" did.

I agree! :)

I also think the songs from the 80's had a lot more originality.  Many of the "catchy" song of today use the 80's tunes as backups.  They know deep down the 80's ruled!  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...