inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who was the most influencial person of the 80's

Written By: Mullet-Head on 07/08/05 at 12:03 am

Malcolm MacClarin          Ronald Reagan            Johny Lydon      Madona      Micheal Jackson    Sting

Subject: Re: Who was the most influencial person of the 80's

Written By: Carrie on 07/08/05 at 2:35 am

Celebrity wise, Michael Jackson was pretty influential for a lot of the 80's. Same with Madonna.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 07/08/05 at 6:59 am

I'd have to say, Sir Bob Geldof. He may not have sold as many records as his fellow performers at Live Aid, but I dare say he'll be remembered for alot longer. Onya, Bob!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/08/05 at 9:12 am

Michael Jackson

Written By: Howard on 07/08/05 at 2:23 pm

Michael Jackson

Written By: MetalManiac on 07/11/05 at 12:20 pm

Motley Crue  They took rock & roll to a whole new level  :D :D

Written By: Mullet-Head on 07/11/05 at 9:04 pm

I'd have to say, Sir Bob Geldof. He may not have sold as many records as his fellow performers at Live Aid, but I dare say he'll be remembered for alot longer. Onya, Bob!

I think the song  " I don't like Mondays", was the first new wave song I heard. It was about a shooting in a school in the late seventies. It is really a bridge between the seventies and the eighties

Written By: Dukefan on 07/11/05 at 10:59 pm

I think that Michael Jackson and Madonna were the most influencial people pop-culture wise, but I also think that Ronald Reagan played a big role in shaping the future at that time.         

Written By: Powerslave on 07/12/05 at 4:59 am

That isn't much of a list. There's a bunch of people who had enormous influence on the 80s who should have been included for consideration, not the least of whom would be Margaret Thatcher, Nelson Mandela, Mikhail Gorbachev, FW deKlerk, Mike Tyson and a string of others. Out of those suggested on the original post, I'd say Reagan.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/12/05 at 7:16 am

Madonna, obviously...and she still is!

Written By: Maddie's The Boss on 07/13/05 at 12:23 am

To me...Rikki Ractman  8)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 07/13/05 at 6:12 pm

Vince Clarke

Written By: nondiva234 on 07/14/05 at 12:48 pm

I have many people:

Michael Jackson for changing the music industry, and selling the best selling album of all time...
Madonna for being the Queen of Controversy...
Ronald Reagan for doing a lot as President in the 80s...
Sir Bob Geldof for creating the best concerts in the whole world...
Margaret Thatcher for being a good (and bad) female PM of the UK...

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 6:58 pm

I agree with the Malcom MaClaren one. Punk, punk culture & punk fashion has become more popular than ever & mainstream at the moment (not that i'd call any of the stuff now punk). Same goes for John Lydon. I like the Ronald Reagan one Mullet-Head, that's kinda funny, you're right though pretty influentual. Just look at George W Reagan  :P  ;) lol, that's proof in the pudding. Totally agree with the Motley Crue one aswell MetalManiac. You're all right about the Micheal Jackson thing aswell, but unfortunatly for him that's not what he'll be remembered for most. Plastic Surgery & unusual behavior will be. As for Madonna being the queen of contraversy i don't know about that, Micheal Jackson probably beats her hands down in that department. She's definatly a big infleunce in pop music though. Imfamy does not necessarily stop one from being influentual though. I'm sure some people out there think Richard Ramerez (The Nightstalker) was a highly influental figure in the 80s :D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...