inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Reynolds Girls

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 07/10/05 at 11:27 am

They were a duo and they had a one hit wonder in 1989 with the song "I'd Rather Jack" which was produced the ledendary producers Stock, Aitken, Waterman.

According to what it said, they were massive in the USA with three consecutive number 1's. I say. "What a load of crap". I mean for god sake. There is a time and a place for "Cheese" but this just takes the p!ss. Please tell me this isn't true.

You can read the message @ http://www.hitfactoryforum.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1119605107;start=15

Subject: Re: The Reynolds Girls

Written By: Paul on 07/10/05 at 11:33 am

Good Gawd! 'I'd Rather Jack' indeed...!!

I can say that neither lady is deceased and their total hit tally (#1's notwithstanding) in the US stands at zero...

However, you may have got misled...I think someone's referring to Milli Vanilli...try reading the previous page of the thread...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/05 at 11:44 am

Good Gawd! 'I'd Rather Jack' indeed...!!

I can say that neither lady is deceased and their total hit tally (#1's notwithstanding) in the US stands at zero...

However, you may have got misled...I think someone's referring to Milli Vanilli...try reading the previous page of the thread...
Confirmed!

I'd Rather Jack is the only reference I have for The Reynolds Girls

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 07/10/05 at 12:05 pm

Confirmed!

What do you mean?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/05 at 1:40 pm

Confirmed!

What do you mean?

I confirm with Paul (above) that I think someone's referring to Milli Vanilli...try reading the previous page of the thread...
and the only reference in one of my UK Chart books has I'd Rather Jack as the only record they had.

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 07/10/05 at 2:13 pm

I confirm with Paul (above) that  and the only reference in one of my UK Chart books has I'd Rather Jack as the only record they had.

Click on to the link that I have posted. You can read what it says there. Apparently The Reynolds Girls had about three consecutive number 1's in the U.S. "I'd Rather Jack" being one of them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/05 at 2:15 pm

Click on to the link that I have posted. You can read what it says there. Apparently The Reynolds Girls had about three consecutive number 1's in the U.S. "I'd Rather Jack" being one of them.
That link refers to Milli Vanilli not the Reynolds Girls!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/05 at 2:22 pm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Reynolds Girls

The Reynolds Girls were a pair of sisters from Liverpool, England who became a one hit wonder in 1989 with a Dance Pop track that started out as a response to critics who ignored the younger Pop acts in the UK at the time.

It was in 1988 that Pete Waterman became critical of how radio was ignoring the newer talent in favor of establshed or adult-friendly acts. That was until producer Matt Aitken came up with a track that would answer that response.

Enter siblings Linda(Born in 1971) and Aisling(Born in 1973) Reynolds, who had given Waterman a demo after pestering him during his radio show. He wasn't interested at first but changed his mind after he heard it and signed them to the PWL family. He also thought that they would be the perfect act to record the track that Aitken had written.

That song would become "I'd Rather Jack." The song, which pokes fun at how older and more established acts get better treatment on the airwaves than their younger peers, became a top ten hit in the UK Pop charts in March 1989. Despite the critism, it did get airplay time in England.

But just as they were about to go into the studio to do their first full-length album, the duo split from PWL over creative differences. They later put out a follow up, "Get Real," but the title alone wasn't enough to convince fans to buy it or get any airplay, and the two would fall off the music radar for good.

It was reported in later years that one of the Reynolds girls may have died during childbirth, but that is just speculation.

Written By: Paul on 07/10/05 at 5:00 pm

Yeeesss...the thread is titled 'The Reynolds Girls', but along the way someone has started talking about MV (who did have three #1's in the US and one of whom has since died...)

Mind you, Reynolds Girls aside, sending MV to #1 on three occasions is nothing to brag about...!

Myself? I'd rather Fleetwood Mac than Jack!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/10/05 at 5:42 pm

Is 'Jack' an American term for something else  ;D

Written By: Paul on 07/10/05 at 5:44 pm

Is 'Jack' an American term for something else   ;D

Trust you to pull it into the gutter, Jules...

(Actually, it's probably more 'jerk', but what would I know...!!)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/11/05 at 4:33 am

Trust you to pull it into the gutter, Jules...

(Actually, it's probably more 'jerk', but what would I know...!!)

;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/05 at 5:52 am

Is 'Jack' an American term for something else   ;D
Can Jack be a dance?

Written By: Paul on 07/11/05 at 7:28 am

Can Jack be a dance?

Not so much 'can be'...it was...

Wouldn't know how you did it though, my limit's the 'Hokey Cokey'...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/05 at 7:34 am

Not so much 'can be'...it was...

Wouldn't know how you did it though, my limit's the 'Hokey Cokey'...
Jack dancing, makes a change from Morris dancing.

Check for new replies or respond here...