inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Streets of Fire

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/12/05 at 9:14 pm

I was wondering who here has seen or heard of Streets of Fire?  It's one of my favorite films, after searching pretty much everywhere I was able to find it on DVD, the soundtrack is good too.

Subject: Re: Streets of Fire

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/12/05 at 9:30 pm

Never seen it, but I have heard about it - isn't it loosely a musical, about rock and roll and set in the future? If so I should check it out since that's my kind of thing.

I do know "I Can Dream About You" from Dan Hartman originally came from the soundtrack though. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/12/05 at 9:51 pm

It's not really set in the future, it's more like the 50's meets the 80's.  The film is pretty much a musical.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/12/05 at 9:54 pm

^ BTTF 1 was the 50s meets the 80s too, so that's probably more reason to like it. 8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/13/05 at 8:39 am

^ BTTF 1 was the 50s meets the 80s too, so that's probably more reason to like it. 8)

Then you'll probally like this one too.

Written By: Joe on 07/25/05 at 12:40 am

Way cool movie! How bout that sledgehammer fight at the end?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 12:41 am

Way cool movie! How bout that sledgehammer fight at the end?

It was really brutal! 

Written By: Triviamom on 07/27/05 at 10:00 pm

Wasn't that the one with Diane Lane as the rockstar and Michael Pare' as the ex- boyfriend trying to rescue her?  I remember that one, it was pretty good.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/28/05 at 10:13 am

Wasn't that the one with Diane Lane as the rockstar and Michael Pare' as the ex- boyfriend trying to rescue her?  I remember that one, it was pretty good.

Yep, that's the film.

Written By: bj26 on 07/28/05 at 10:37 am

I have the original soundtrack on an old record album but haven't listened to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/05 at 11:03 am

I remember a big deal when that movie came out-something about the violance (unless I am mixing it up with another movie).  I thought it was great movie-a lot of great acting-Diane Lane, Michael (yum) Pare, Rick Moranis, Amy Madigan, and Elizabeth Dailey (from Valley Girl fame). I also LOVE the music from it.

Cat

Written By: OliverDK on 07/28/05 at 1:58 pm

I so totally love "Streets of Fire" and still have the soundtrack on vinyl, I recently got the movie on DVD and was a little disappointed to discover that they have re-recorded the soundtrack - at least in the PAL version - and not all the songs were recorded by the original artists.
Walther Hill said that with "Streets of Fire" he tried to create what he would have considered the perfect movie when he was in his teens, and I can only say that in my book he did just that, simply the coolest movie I've ever seen, even if I wish they had kept the original soundtrack, but that's life I guess.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/05 at 11:40 am

Streets of Fire is my favourite film of all time.  I LOVE IT!

Here's some soundtrack trivia ...

I Can Dream About You by Dan Hartman hit #6 on the Billboard Charts and Tonight is What it Means to Be Young by Fire Inc. hit #80 on the Billboard Charts

Laurie Sargent (who was the lead singer for the band Face to Face, who had a popular 1 hit wonder in 1984 called 10-9-8) provided all the vocals for Diane Lane's character in the film.  The remaining members of Face to Face appear in the film as Ellen's backing band "The Attackers".  On the soundtrack, Fire Inc. was a Jim Steinman production and both songs Nowhere Fast and Tonight is What it Means to Be Young were sung by Holly Sherwood and Rory Dodd (who often sang on Steinman produced songs) with Laurie Sargent appearing on Nowhere Fast

In November of 1984, singer Meatloaf covered Nowhere Fast and turned it into a minor UK hit.

I'm not surprised that "Tonight is What it Means to be Young" is a Jim Steinman song. Sounds like him. But, it still is a GREAT song (like most of Jim Steinman's songs-especially song by Meatloaf  ;D)

Cat

Written By: Triviamom on 09/06/05 at 3:54 pm

Laurie Sargent (who was the lead singer for the band Face to Face, who had a popular 1 hit wonder in 1984 called 10-9-8) provided all the vocals for Diane Lane's character in the film. 

I had this 45, and I wore-it-out. I loved this song. 8)

Written By: TC1970 on 09/07/05 at 8:21 pm

I recently rented this through NetFlix. I enjoyed watching it again after al these years. :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/07 at 1:42 pm

U know what's awesome?  Streets of Fire was the basis for the popular 90s arcade game 'Final Fight'.  I never knew that until just this year.  Now I know why I loved to play that game so much 8)

http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/neo-reviews/BurningFigt/Final_Fight.png

Written By: statsqueen on 06/20/07 at 1:59 pm

Was Michael Pare's character named "Cody"?  I never saw the movie (obviously), but one of my friends in high school named her first car after Cody...I think that was the movie (I just remember it was a Michael Pare' character)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/20/07 at 7:53 pm

It's a great film.

Check for new replies or respond here...