inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Degrassi High

Written By: Mullet-Head on 07/14/05 at 6:53 pm

I met one of the skinhead girls who was in the TV program Degrassi high. Do you remember the TV show it was Canadian. There was one scene when one boy in the school tested HIV+ and smashed a condom vending machine in his school

Subject: Re: Degrassy high

Written By: pell on 07/15/05 at 1:57 am

I met one of the skinhead girls who was in the TV program Degrassi high. Do you remember the TV show it was Canadian. There was one scene when one boy in the school tested HIV+ and smashed a condom vending machine in his school

I remember "Degrassi High". I used to watch it when I'd visit my girlfriend in the late 80s. She liked the show.

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 1:02 pm

Yeah, i remember it from the late 80s & then i enjoyed the reruns in  1992 on ABC here in Australia. There was Kids Of  Degrassi Street, Degrassi Junior High & then Degrassi High. It was the only teen show i've ever liked. The actors weren't total prissy poser pretty boys & pretty girls trying way too hard to be cool & failing misserably that you could cast in a fashion clothing or shampoo commercial. They all looked like real teenagers. It came across as sincere & it was a moment of purity & honesty in TV teen shows with this show in the 80s or any other decade for that matter. It was about as realistic as you can get for the rating it had.
The 80s punk/skin looking girl you mentioned was either Spike or Liz.
If i remember correctly there were only two in the show so it has to be one of the above. Well actually only Liz looked like a skin girl Spike just had a Siouxsie style newwave punk esque hairstyle.

Written By: Mullet-Head on 07/18/05 at 6:38 pm

Yeah, i remember it from the late 80s & then i enjoyed the reruns in  1992 on ABC here in Australia. There was Kids Of  Degrassi Street, Degrassi Junior High & then Degrassi High. It was the only teen show i've ever liked. The actors weren't total prissy poser pretty boys & pretty girls trying way too hard to be cool & failing misserably that you could cast in a fashion clothing or shampoo commercial. They all looked like real teenagers. It came across as sincere & it was a moment of purity & honesty in TV teen shows with this show in the 80s or any other decade for that matter. It was about as realistic as you can get for the rating it had.
The 80s punk/skin looking girl you mentioned was either Spike or Liz.
If i remember correctly there were only two in the show so it has to be one of the above. Well actually only Liz looked like a skin girl Spike just had a Siouxsie style newwave punk esque hairstyle.

I met her at The Dance Cave a kind of Ska club in the eighties. Unlike all the other fat skinhead girls she looked pretty good. I wonder what she's doing these days.

Written By: ToddR on 07/19/05 at 3:37 pm

LOVED IT!!!  ;D

Such a good show! I used to watch after-school all the time. What I remember is that the characters of the teens were not your typical popular kids. They were in like the "B" or "C" crowd.......which I thought was cool and different.

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 4:35 pm

Totally  :)

Written By: pcxo on 07/20/05 at 7:37 pm

I watch the new Degrassi, because some of the old charachters on on there.

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/21/05 at 9:18 am

Yeah i saw a few of the new ones but i hated it. It's just not the same

Subject: Re: Degrassi High

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/09 at 9:16 am

I just finished watching the Degrassi High Box Set and I'd forgotten about the Canadian music used in the show.

The episode where Wheels steals quarters from Joey's mom, you can hear 'Fly By Night' by Rush on Joey's car radio
The episode where Erica and Heather throw a party, they have 'Moonlight Desires' by Gowan on their record player

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/09 at 1:16 pm

I just finished watching the Degrassi High Box Set and I'd forgotten about the Canadian music used in the show.

The episode where Wheels steals quarters from Joey's mom, you can hear 'Fly By Night' by Rush on Joey's car radio
The episode where Erica and Heather throw a party, they have 'Moonlight Desires' by Gowan on their record player

only you WD....  ;D

I'm too busy simultaneously getting all weepy nostalgic and mocking the hair clothes to notice the music  ;D

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/27/09 at 6:11 pm

Loved the show too. Didn't it originally air on a major network then moved to PBS? Just wondering.

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/09 at 6:13 pm

Loved the show too. Didn't it originally air on a major network then moved to PBS? Just wondering.

In the US I only remember catching it on PBS... I must have found it by accident because I cannot, for the life of me, imagine what I was doing watching PBS  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/09 at 7:01 pm

It was PBS only in the USA.  Not sure about other countries, but it's original broadcast in Canada was on the CBC which (at the time) was a major network in Canada that aired popular shows in Prime Time

Check for new replies or respond here...