inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Whats ur 80's faverites cartoon shows?

Written By: Larry35 on 07/14/05 at 11:41 pm

:) my cartoon show was Voltron, Reboot and Thundercats, I hope it comes back on CN

Subject: Re: Whats ur 80's faverites cartoon shows?

Written By: pell on 07/15/05 at 2:32 am

My favorite 80s cartoons, as far as I can remember:

Muppet Babies
Danger Mouse
The Smurfs
G.I. Joe
Speed Racer (or was that 70s?)
Gobots
Alvin & the Chipmunks

and any of the CBS network animated specials that showed at night. Whenever I'd see that CBS logo (or was it the word "Special") twirling on the screen with that weird music (some kind of electronic percussion) I'd eagerly wait to see if it was some new Charlie Brown or Garfield special. Of course sometimes it wasn't even animated, but during the holidays it usually was.

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 07/15/05 at 9:54 am

I think I like

He-Man
Smurfs
Noozles
Adventures of The Little Koala

Written By: robby76 on 07/15/05 at 11:39 am

GI Joe
The Biskitts
PawPaw Bears
Thundercats
He-Man
Jem
M.A.S.K.
Ewoks
Monchichi's
and everything else almost.

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 07/15/05 at 1:14 pm

I also liked Fat Albert too

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/15/05 at 6:44 pm

Hey hey hey Fat Albert!

Is Captain Planet an 80's cartoon?

I hate it now, because its Ralph Naders Creation

Written By: robby76 on 07/15/05 at 10:09 pm

I would've classed Fat Albert as a 70's cartoon really. It ran from '72 to '84 so it's debatable.

Written By: pell on 07/15/05 at 10:40 pm

I also liked Fat Albert too

How could I forget Fat Albert?

Written By: WembleyBooberGobo on 07/16/05 at 9:58 am

I loved Jem , Heathcliff,Get Along Gang, Garfield and Friends,Duck Tales,Camp Candy,Smurfs,Muppet Babies...to many to name.

Written By: woops on 07/16/05 at 6:56 pm

Heathcliff, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, Muppet Babies, Maters of the Universe, Duck Tales, classic Looney Tunes & Disney cartoons on tv (both not from '80's, but are hardly ever shown now),  Alivin & The Chipmunks, and some more I might've forgotten  :D  8)

Written By: robby76 on 07/16/05 at 9:35 pm

Yeah the Chipmunks were cool, as were the Littles. Even the Care Bears was pretty watchable.

Written By: Max Headroom on 07/17/05 at 2:39 pm

:D My favorites were:  Thundercats, Real Ghostbusters, Dungeons & Dragons, Thundarr, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Rubik the Amazing Cube, and Count Duckula....  :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/17/05 at 3:33 pm

Count Duckula
Masters of The Universe
G.I. Joe
Transformers
Thundercats
Saturday Supercade
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
Ewoks
Camp Candy
Fat Albert
Muppet Babies
Voltron
Alvin and The Chipmunks

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 12:13 pm

In no particular order:
Masters of The Universe
Transformers
Thundercats
Centurians
M.A.S.K.
Voltron
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
Hulk
Challenge Of The Super Friends (reruns)
Dungeons & Dragons
Jem
Machine Men (in Australia, it was called Gobots in the U.S. i think)
Astroboy
Count Duckula (it's actually a Danger Mouse spin off show)
Fat Albert
Muppet Babies
Alvin and The Chipmunks
Smurfs
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
There's probably heaps i can't think of at this very moment.

Written By: mitch1987 on 07/19/05 at 11:14 am

Hm..GIJOE, SMURFS, DUNGEON AND DRAGONS, TRANSFORMERS, JEM (I just found a VHS tape of some of the episodes..can't wait to watch it) , MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, MR.T, EWOKS, DROIDS, and many others I can't remember right now.

Written By: cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 11:34 am

The VHS you found, do you mean Jem? What's the quality like? I tried downloading the first episode off the net at the start of this year & the picture quality was just not watchable & the sound was pretty bad too. After seeing the quality of that episode i gave up on the idea of getting the rest.  :\'(

Written By: smurfette 101 on 07/19/05 at 6:58 pm

ahh, i remember the cartoons,
their was
G-force
captian caveman
scooby doo
wonder woman
tom amd jerry
bugs bunny
dragonball
charlie brown, the peanuts
rainbow brite
my little pony and theirs  a whole lot more... :)

Written By: mitch1987 on 07/20/05 at 8:17 am

The VHS you found, do you mean Jem? What's the quality like? I tried downloading the first episode off the net at the start of this year & the picture quality was just not watchable & the sound was pretty bad too. After seeing the quality of that episode i gave up on the idea of getting the rest. :\'(

Yeah it is JEM. Its the original VHS tape of The Princess and the Singer episode.Its 45 minutes long so I believe its 2 episodes. The quality is good for an old VHS tape. I found it at a local second hand store and hope to find more. Does anyone know how many tapes were released?

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/20/05 at 8:54 am

Not sure but, there were 3 seasons with a total of 65 episodes. I doubt they would have released every episode on video. I know the videos are more nostalgic & collectable, but the DVDs are available in the U.S. though. I think they come in seasons as boxsets so you should be able to get all the episodes now. :)

Written By: robby76 on 07/20/05 at 10:10 am

Have you SEEN how much the dvd's are going for????!!!!! They're as rare as anything... over 100 bucks for the Season 1 & 2 set! Scandalous!

I also bought a JEM video from a 2nd hand shop. It had 3 episodes on it... the one where that little blonde girl joined the "house" and they had a rock battle with the Misfits (or did that happen in every episode... ha ha).

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 8:04 pm

Transformers, Challenge of the Gobots, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines(yes it's about the ORIGINAL MONSTER TRUCK,BIGFOOT!), and oh yes THE SIMPSONS!(started as a series in 1989 I think)

Written By: rich1981 on 07/31/05 at 10:11 pm

Disney Adventures, e.g. Duck Tales/Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers. I think most people mentioned the others.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/01/05 at 4:21 pm

I don't remember watching many cartoons of the 80's but did love The Simpsons.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/02/05 at 12:37 am

I loved most of the above-mentioned. I dinstinctly remember watching the Simpsons as a short on "The Tracey Ullman Show" It was actually the only reason why I watched her show.
I liked Mr. Wizard, too. And there was some show that came on at about 6am on NBC to sort of start off the Saturday morning cartoons. It had a lady that was friends with these monkey looking muppets. It was different, but I'd watch it because I knew the good stuff was coming on next. Boy, Saturday mornings will never be the same.. what has happened to all the good stuff??  :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/02/05 at 6:59 pm

The 'videogame' cartoons of the 80's were nowhere near as good as the 90's stuff like Sonic The Hedgehog(SatAM)...I don't think the writers developed the characters or stories much..except for the Mario Bros. cartoon...

Written By: Sakura on 08/10/05 at 11:34 am

Sonic the Hedgehog and the super Mario super Show!!!!!

Written By: Chrisrj on 08/10/05 at 2:32 pm

The following were NOT 80s cartoons:

Reboot (1994)
Captain Planet (1990)
Sonic the Hedgehog (1991 game, 1993 syndicated cartoon show, 1993 ABC show)
...and before it's mentioned on here, Gargoyles(1994; some people actually classified it as the 80s elsewhere).

As for favorite 80s cartoons:

Ducktales
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
Legend of Zelda
Mario Super Show
TMNT
Transformers
Heathcliff
Cartoon Express (USA Network)

Sorry to be a b**** about this, but it just upsets me that people would get it in the wrong decade and make me feel older than I really am.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/10/05 at 9:32 pm

The following were NOT 80s cartoons:

Reboot (1994)
Captain Planet (1990)
Sonic the Hedgehog (1991 game, 1993 syndicated cartoon show, 1993 ABC show)
...and before it's mentioned on here, Gargoyles(1994; some people actually classified it as the 80s elsewhere).

As for favorite 80s cartoons:

Ducktales
Legend of Zelda
Mario Super Show
TMNT
Transformers
Heathcliff
Cartoon Express (USA Network)

Sorry to be a b**** about this, but it just upsets me that people would get it in the wrong decade and make me feel older than I really am.
I remember the Garfield specials in the 80's.

Written By: richkeen22 on 08/11/05 at 12:23 am

hello all!

My all time Top3 80s are

smurfs
Wacky Races
He-Man and the masters of the univers!!!!!!!!!!!
Thunder Cats
The Land before Time (can soemone confirm if this is in the 80's)
Banana Man! (grin)

would like it if people make a remake on one of these cartoons.. that would be a treat..

R

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/11/05 at 12:59 am

Remakes suck donkey dick. They've already done a new He-man cartoon twice. A newer version in 1989 & the latest one in 2003 & they were both SH!T.  Same goes for the new Transformers Energon & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Remaking them would just ruin & bastardise the originals & doesn't evoke the same feel. They should just rerun the originals more often, they never do here in Australia at all. All we get is these poxy & lame new cartoons like Pokemon Beyblades, Yu-Gu-Oh etc & they're all sooooo crap that even words can't describe. You never see the old WB Looney Tunes anymore either like they used to show every now & then up untill the late 80s & maybe early 90s. I used to love The Road Runner Show. A million times more entertaining than all the ones now. A whole generation is gonna grow up never knowing these cartoons & that's the sadest thing ever.

Written By: robby76 on 08/11/05 at 1:32 am

Agree... I love cartoons but no way could I sit through todays cartoons. They all look so Japanese-like, especially Powerpuff Girls etc. Even the drawing technique is sh!t. I also hate the new GI Joe cartoons that use CGI.

Even as 80's cartoons go, I still prefer the pre-1987 stuff. Things like Ducktales, TMNT, Chip n Dale felt more like 90's stuff to me. And I hated all the Nintendo to cartoon shows, but then again I never liked playing computer games.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/11/05 at 5:51 am

I think one of the saddest things was Warner Bros. decided to f*#k with Bugs & company. Made them out to look like freakazods from the future. Totally radical re-drawing of them. They actually looked scary and didn't even look close to what they originally did. They got so many complaints they decided to scrap the idea.  <whew!> Was supposed to debut next month...thank god they left them alone.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/11/05 at 9:18 pm

>:(  Yep ..Nobody needs to mess with Bugs and Co.... I really dont even like the Baby bugs cartoons..The old ones are the Best!! Merrie Melodies!!  the great thing is that as a child they were great and even as an adult they are better..all the stuff that goes over our heads as kids..we now get it!! classic!!

Written By: robby76 on 08/11/05 at 10:38 pm

Fans of Chip n Dale and Ducktales... go to www.tvshowsondvd.com

They're both getting a dvd release sometime soon.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/12/05 at 1:59 am

:D  I know this wasnt a cartoon but in a wierd way it was..PeeWees Playhouse..I absolutely loved PeeWee Herman!! PPLe needed to be a little more sypathetic towards him when he got busted ..in my opinion..The news shoulda kept it under wraps to keep the kids from seeing it..My stepson was 2 when PeeWee was really big and I would never want him to see the Media Frenzy that followed the Arrest..We are ALL human and I think Hollywood and sociaty..persicuted Paul Ruebins ..He could not be ,,Pee Wee all the time and we all..get Horny..Lol...sorry Im In the middle of quittin smokin soo im really on edge..lol...Still love Pee Wee!!!!!!!

Written By: rip_jeans on 08/12/05 at 3:05 am

Voltron

"Form feet and legs"
"Form arms and body"
"And I'll form the head"

Written By: robby76 on 08/12/05 at 4:27 am

I watched "Vice versa" the movie with Fred Savage and Judge Reinhold, and Fred's playing with a huge Voltron! Brought back so many memories.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/12/05 at 5:22 am

Green- I agree with you on PeeWee. While I wasn't a huge fan, the media frenzy surrounding his arrest I thought was absurd and cruel. First he was hurting nobody, he was in an adult theatre with, I'm guessing, a scattering of other adults. I've never been to one of those but you'd think that's pretty much what goes on in them. It's unfortunate they chose to set an example of him. I thought it was brash and uncalled for. Why not pick on any of the other guys that were in there most likely doing the same damn thing?

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/12/05 at 6:56 am

8)  yep.. Hey Robby.I remember Vice-Versa- Forgot about Voltron..Lol.I watched The Simpsons Too..........

Written By: aliceinflame on 08/14/05 at 11:15 am

80's cartoons are cool..... no 3d animation effects...... just plain strip

my favorite cartoons are (here in the Philippines):
1. visionaries: knight of the magical light (
2. thundrcats (without wily kat and wily kit, they suck)
3. challenge of the gobots (cyckill is cool)
4. bionic 6
5. classic astroboy
6. silverhawks
7. teddy ruxpin
8. gummi bears
9. smurfs
10. carebears
11. snorks
12. teenage mutant ninja turtles
13. ducktales
14. mighty man and yukk
15. bioman
16. shaider
17. masked rider black
18. rainbow brite (cheesy)
19. transformers season 1 & 2
20. Ghostbusters (venkman kicks ass)

my 80's heydays is way cool.....

Written By: aliceinflame on 08/14/05 at 11:23 am

i forgot......

voltron (lions, not the 15 pieces vehicles)
g-force is from the 70's i guess...
centurions (those bastards are cool)

how about 80's tv series?

Written By: robby76 on 08/14/05 at 9:15 pm

ALice start a new thread for the tv series... I have a list waiting... ha ha!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/15/05 at 9:03 pm

>:(  Yep ..Nobody needs to mess with Bugs and Co.... I really dont even like the Baby bugs cartoons..The old ones are the Best!! Merrie Melodies!!  the great thing is that as a child they were great and even as an adult they are better..all the stuff that goes over our heads as kids..we now get it!! classic!!

I hear they were going to "Dragonball Z" Bugs and friends, hopefully it won't happen....

Leave Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Looney Toons alone!

>:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/15/05 at 9:10 pm

Wait.... it gets better, they are going to bring back The Smurfs, only this time in CGI as a movie.... seriously....

::)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=794&e=2&u=/eo/20050719/en_movies_eo/16972

By the way there was a animated Smurfs movie called The Smurfs and The Magic Flute.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086326/

Written By: robby76 on 08/16/05 at 4:24 am

Smurfs Movie : Call me old fashioned but I hate CGI... it looks so fake! All the charaters have grey teeth.

Written By: Atari on 08/16/05 at 7:21 am

I'd have to go with Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, but I enjoyed Looney Tunes the most in the 80s (and still today... Boomerang channel rules) :)

Check for new replies or respond here...