inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: please help with fashion

Written By: arnbaltos on 07/18/05 at 1:16 am

This is a question for the ladies....I may have posted this before but got no answers......do any of you remember a 'terry turn down cuff' sock? I think they were popular in the 80s and were for sports (maybe tennis)? I am not sure. What did these look like, and were they popular? what about a short sock with a ball on the heel?  Any of you females have any info on this? I would much appreciate it. Thank you.

Subject: Re: please help with fashion

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/05 at 6:26 am

This is a question for the ladies....I may have posted this before but got no answers......do any of you remember a 'terry turn down cuff' sock? I think they were popular in the 80s and were for sports (maybe tennis)? I am not sure. What did these look like, and were they popular? what about a short sock with a ball on the heel?  Any of you females have any info on this? I would much appreciate it. Thank you.

I don't necessarily remember the terry turn down cuff sock...however, I do remember the "pom pom" sock that you speak of.  I used to have a few pairs of them back in the 80's, when I was younger. They were shorter socks and had a little pom pom ball on the back of them, usually pink or blue or some other girly color. Here's a picture of what I mean....

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=pom+pom+sock/v=2/SID=e/TID=I999_73/l=IVI/SIG=1309168fu/EXP=1121772361/*-http%3A//www.monarchhosiery.com/Jefferies/Jefferies_catalog/sm2208-pom-ped.jpg

Erin :)

Written By: same on 08/01/05 at 11:47 pm

thank you quirk....can anyone else helpl with the second style?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/02/05 at 12:31 am

I sort of remmeber the turn down terry. I think what that meant was that if you turned the sock over a bit to cuff it, it showed the sock as like terry cloth (like a wash cloth texture). I wore socks like that in the 1980's as a kid, but don't wear em like that anymore.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/02/05 at 1:09 am

I have some of the "terry turn down" ones still :-[ 

Hey, they're still cool  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/05 at 11:25 am

I remember those little pom pom socks.

I usually wear terry cloth ankle socks that are turned down (never heard of them called "Terry turn down" but it does fit)-those are the only socks that I wear in the summer. In the winter I wear heavy duty ones.  ;D

Cat

Written By: same on 08/03/05 at 9:36 pm

wow what a response...thank you......does anyone have a picture of this style maybe? 

others can feel free to share memories also...thanks folks

Written By: laldn324 on 08/04/05 at 2:51 pm

I remember both of these styles and owned both types in the 70s and 80s.  The terry cloth turn down socks that I rember usually had colored double stripes on the "towel" part - blue, red, pink and yellow are some colors that I remember and I vaguely remember actual colored socks with white stripes.  I also remember the cheerleaders wearing the ones that matched the school colors and I think our school even ordered them especially with two stripe colors to match school colors.  I wore the pom pom socks more often, although remember one ball would inevitably come off in the washer and you ended up with one sock with a ball and one with a tuft of fur where the ball used to be!  And they used to slide off of my heel a lot...I remember that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/04/05 at 10:08 pm

I remember both of these styles and owned both types in the 70s and 80s.  The terry cloth turn down socks that I rember usually had colored double stripes on the "towel" part - blue, red, pink and yellow are some colors that I remember and I vaguely remember actual colored socks with white stripes.  I also remember the cheerleaders wearing the ones that matched the school colors and I think our school even ordered them especially with two stripe colors to match school colors.  I wore the pom pom socks more often, although remember one ball would inevitably come off in the washer and you ended up with one sock with a ball and one with a tuft of fur where the ball used to be!  And they used to slide off of my heel a lot...I remember that.

ew ya..I hated when they slid off of your heel...that was so annoying!

Written By: same on 08/05/05 at 1:59 am

this must be a popular topic.......look what I started..who else wants to join?  come one, come all.......

I wondered if anyone could show mne what the second style looked like.......

Again, feel free to post more...I've created a small army I think....

Written By: same on 08/08/05 at 1:42 am

How about this:  which style did you like better, the first or the second and wehy?  Which ones did you have more of?

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 4:14 pm

;D  I forgot about the socks!!!!! Yep I had both..My parents owned a sporting goods store it the late 70s so I got all my socks for free..I loved the pom pom socks..had ev color..ev wore them with my chuka boots tho it was a bit uncomfortable..I really liked the turn down kind tho..they fit better..were a better ..thicker cotton..I had ev color in that style too..in fact..when I read this post I ran to my sock drawer and lo and behold I have one pair left..bright pink..when you turn them down they have la gear on the cuff..very cool

Written By: same on 08/09/05 at 12:20 am

good responses...hope others can share also.....

Which ones did you ladies like better:  the first or the second...

anyone else have things to add?

Written By: same on 08/13/05 at 12:20 am

come on, make this a hot topic.....

How about this:  which style did you like better, the first or the second and wehy?  Which ones did you have more of?

Written By: TC1970 on 08/13/05 at 5:25 am

It is a topic but we are talking about socks..not much to discuss really.  :D

I like the ones with the balls. Still do.

Written By: jim on 08/14/05 at 12:13 am

Ah, but some of us think those terry cuff socks are very cute.  We appreciate the discussion.  I hope you don't think we're *too* weird!  :)

Written By: katt72 on 08/14/05 at 11:25 am

I found this clothing of the 80,s site that is pretty neat but it has no pics of the clothes
http://www.inthe80s.com/clothes/index.shtml

Written By: same on 08/15/05 at 2:00 am

I guess it would be the same as talking about shoes or any other fashion trend, really.....to me, I guess.  I wasn't sure on the styles and now it hopefully is turning out to be a good topic.  I don't want people thinking I am weird either.....

Who else can add their memories to this discussion?

Written By: alexis on 08/15/05 at 10:06 am

I have some of the "terry turn down" ones still :-[  Technically, they're not, but they can be worn that way.

I'm curious what you mean by "technically, they're not, but they can be worn that way."  That sounds interesting!  Do you generally "wear them that way"?  I like terry cuffs, but they're very hard to find.  Gold Toe makes some cute white ones, but I don't see them in stores very often.

Written By: same on 08/16/05 at 12:32 am

You can't find these fashions anymore?

Written By: alexis on 08/16/05 at 9:30 am

You can't find these fashions anymore?

I haven't seen the socks with the little balls in forever!  Terry cuff socks are still around, but they're a lot harder to find than they used to be.  I like to wear them when I run, because they look good and they're also very comfy.  Most women's sports socks these days look the same as men's, which is okay, but not as much fun.  When I work out or run, I wear terry cuffs I bought at Filene's -- the gold toe kind, that they don't seem to carry anymore -- or I wear short ankle socks, unfortunately without the little balls.

Written By: same on 08/18/05 at 12:51 am

Tahnk you for the postings...I know there's more out there if the shoes category can rack up posts...so can this one.......any other memories? 

A poll:  which style of the two did you like better or have more of?

Written By: alexis on 08/18/05 at 4:48 pm

the gold toe kind

Was looking around for pics -- these are the ones I still wear sometimes:

http://www.beallsflorida.com/graphics/products/034-8463-5572-yy-yyy.jpg

wow, and check this out!  They make them in colors now!  I'll have to get me some of these.  ;D

http://www.boscovs.com/wcsstore/boscovs/images/store/product/images/3700730565572f.jpg

Written By: same on 08/19/05 at 12:47 am

Thanks, Alexis, for the pictures.  I think I may remember the style now.......

Everyone come back anbd vote in the poll:  which style did you like better or which ones did you have more of?

Written By: alexis on 08/25/05 at 1:49 pm

I'll kick this post with a terry-cuffed foot!  ;)

I've always liked terry cuff socks.  And I don't think I've ever worn the kind with the balls.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/26/05 at 12:23 am

;D  As I said before..I still like the turn down cuff sock...I remember now one of the main reasons I stopped wearing the "ball" kind....My CATS would follow me around the house and ATTACK my ankles to try to steal the balls!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Written By: same on 09/02/05 at 12:42 am

any other votes?  there's more of you out there......

Written By: same on 09/13/05 at 1:06 am

I'm curious what you mean by "technically, they're not, but they can be worn that way."  That sounds interesting!  Do you generally "wear them that way"?  I like terry cuffs, but they're very hard to find.  Gold Toe makes some cute white ones, but I don't see them in stores very often.

Was this ever answered?

Written By: same on 11/01/05 at 1:33 am

I found a pic now and wondered if this rings any bells with you folks:  I think this is the same style of fashion?  BTW- I was a bit eerie to mpost a pic, but someone on here already told me nobody would th9nk I'm a freak.  Hope they are right.........

http://imagescommerce.bcentral.com/merchantfiles/4311770/terry6.jpg

Any memories perhaps?

Written By: same on 11/08/05 at 9:04 pm

are people freaked by this?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/08/05 at 10:44 pm

I don't think anyone is freaked by it...they probably just don't have anything more to say about it.  I mean, how much can you say about a pair of socks?

Written By: same on 11/08/05 at 11:10 pm

I finally found a pic and wondered if it was the same kind and if anyone had any memories or whatever.  It's like any other post, I guess.

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/05 at 11:13 pm

are people freaked by this?

Not unless the sock started to talk  ;D

http://www.checkerberries.com/www/assets/images/lambchop_puppet.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/08/05 at 11:14 pm

awww...Lambchop! :)

Written By: same on 11/09/05 at 1:25 am

ok maybe a better response rate....how many of you ever had this style at one time?

Written By: same on 11/10/05 at 12:26 am

awww...Lambchop! :)

I dont get it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/05 at 10:29 am

I dont get it.

that's the name of the puppet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/05 at 11:49 am

ok maybe a better response rate....how many of you ever had this style at one time?

I STILL wear these-all the time.

Cat

Written By: same on 11/10/05 at 10:45 pm

Where do you find them?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/13/05 at 8:47 pm

this picture was already posted before.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/13/05 at 9:07 pm

I found a pic now and wondered if this rings any bells with you folks:  I think this is the same style of fashion?  BTW- I was a bit eerie to mpost a pic, but someone on here already told me nobody would th9nk I'm a freak.  Hope they are right.........

Any memories perhaps?

Memories? Oh Lord, my socks and I go wayyyy back. We did everything together. Inseparable, if you will. *Gets misty-eyed*

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from posting anymore pictures. They remind me of lost memories. Memories that dig deep into the very pockets of my being and cause me a great deal of sadness...

I...I..can't be in this thread anymore. I doubt it will help, though...now that the image has been perpetually BURNED in my head.

Thanks. Thanks a lot...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/13/05 at 9:21 pm

;D

Written By: same on 11/14/05 at 1:57 am

Good response!

Memories? Oh Lord, my socks and I go wayyyy back. We did everything together. Inseparable, if you will. *Gets misty-eyed*

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from posting anymore pictures. They remind me of lost memories. Memories that dig deep into the very pockets of my being and cause me a great deal of sadness...

I...I..can't be in this thread anymore. I doubt it will help, though...now that the image has been perpetually BURNED in my head.

Thanks. Thanks a lot...

Written By: alexis on 11/19/05 at 4:30 pm

Hey, Mr. "Same", you've been posting a lot about these socks.  I think turnabout is only fair play -- what are *your* memories of these socks?

Alexis  :)

Written By: Redd on 11/19/05 at 8:40 pm

any other votes?

Written By: same on 11/21/05 at 1:07 am

I must be a repeat poster, then.

I guess I was just clarifying the style.  Wierd topic to some probably, but I'm thankful nobody has gone bezerk on me.  My memories?  Well, I obviously never had them but the cuf style was around our school for awhile in the 80s and a bit into the early 90s.  The ball on the heel ones I remember a bit, but I didn't see as much of them around or maybe I wasn't loking enough..

How'd I do?

Written By: same on 11/21/05 at 1:09 am

Surely there are hundreds and thousands of us out in the world that have worn these cute little socks, without giving it much thought.  But thanks to your posts... my trip dowm memory lane has included my choice for the short little pom pom socks, not for comfort, (they would  always slip down my narrow heal eventually), but because I would ware them to play tennis or go to practice at my local high school courts.
Tan lines, ladies, remember, those things mattered back then!  Around the upper ankle, was very strange and hard to hide... lower ankle not so funky.

Is this to much info. I have more memories that these little socks brought back... should I tell??? :-\\

As long as it is tastefujl and all.....what other memories do you have?

Written By: same on 12/11/05 at 11:48 pm

Surely there are hundreds and thousands of us out in the world that have worn these cute little socks, without giving it much thought.  But thanks to your posts... my trip dowm memory lane has included my choice for the short little pom pom socks, not for comfort, (they would  always slip down my narrow heal eventually), but because I would ware them to play tennis or go to practice at my local high school courts.
Tan lines, ladies, remember, those things mattered back then!  Around the upper ankle, was very strange and hard to hide... lower ankle not so funky.

Is this to much info. I have more memories that these little socks brought back... should I tell??? :-\\

are you out there?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/11/05 at 11:54 pm

http://67.15.181.134/5285/192/emo/Bill_Ghey.jpg

Written By: same on 12/13/05 at 2:26 am

http://67.15.181.134/5285/192/emo/Bill_Ghey.jpg

?????????

Written By: same on 01/11/06 at 12:05 am

are you gonna post your response?

Written By: arnbaltos on 03/25/06 at 4:23 am

Is this a dead topic?  Anyone out there with memories to share?

Written By: me on 11/12/07 at 9:47 pm

Wow I haven't seen this style in years! lol.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/12/07 at 10:46 pm

Hi!

I remeber when I was younger, my friends and I used to wear like skirts but with little bike shorts under them. And short sets where the shirt had a little peplum or skirt coming from it and shorts.

Are there any pics of these looks floating around? If there are, will you please post them?

Thanks!

Written By: me on 01/09/08 at 8:38 pm

I don't know what you mean.

Check for new replies or respond here...