inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s kids movies

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 1:42 pm

Is it just me or have kids movies gotten worse than ever before. Maybe i'm just bias & prefere the stuff i grew up with. I know it was cheesy but that's what makes it so cool. I think the kids movies & shows now have too much emphasis on trendiness trying to sell kids cool with urban lingo etc. It's all so image driven. Whereas the 80s stuff was had less or none of that sort of thing. Anyhow heres a list of kids movies i remember:
*Explorers
*Flight Of The Navigator
*D.A.R.Y.L.
*Neverending Story
*The Boy Who Could Fly
*Benji The Hunted
*Harry & The Hendersons
*Rad
*BMX Bandits
*Thrashin
*Gleaming The Cube
*Skateboard
*Monster Squad
I have all these movies in my video collection & every one of them is out of print here in Australia except for BMX Bandits & Neverending Story which both have a DVD releaase.

Subject: Re: 80s kids movies

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/18/05 at 2:06 pm

E.T. is a good movie, the less said Mac and Me, the better....  ::)

What about The Goonies and Young Sherlock Holmes?

They are good movies too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/05 at 2:07 pm

Gremlins has been enjoyed by younger folk

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 2:12 pm

Yeah we all know those movies though, i was just listing the ones that are overlooked or ones that don't get as commonly mentioned. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/18/05 at 2:15 pm

Gremlins has been enjoyed by younger folk

My mom thought it was a kids film, when I first saw it in the theatres with my mom, she freaked out midway during the movie.

By the way, I think it's a good film.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/05 at 2:24 pm

My mom thought it was a kids film, when I first saw it in the theatres with my mom, she freaked out midway during the movie.

By the way, I think it's a good film.
The scene in the kitchen?

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 2:26 pm

Oh hell yeah, Gremlins is a top movie. I own an original 80s big cover rental version on VHS with the original cover art from the 80s & it's in good shape. I prefere the old ex-rental videos, they're more collectable & still have the orignal cover art whereas DVD versions of films are a dime a dozen & often they change the cover art & use a snapshot from the movie or something which makes them look cheap.  

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/18/05 at 2:29 pm

The scene in the kitchen?

I think it was the scene with the Christmas tree....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 2:35 pm

Then again Moster Squad was an M15+ rated film (don't ask me why), but really i think it was enjoyed by many a kid & it was aimed more at kids. No way in hell that was a teen flick. It was always in the horror section of every video store. When i first saw it i thought "this ain't horror"

Written By: woops on 07/18/05 at 7:03 pm

"Goonies" was a fun movie 

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/18/05 at 9:59 pm

How could you forget the best kids movie from that time: Stand By Me.

Written By: TC1970 on 07/19/05 at 6:46 am

Benji The Hunted. I loved that movie when I was young.

Time Bandits is another not mentioned often movie. Not one I like now but back then it was good.

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 10:35 am

Oh hell yeah, i loved Stand By Me.
As for Benji The Hunted i think that's totally out of print in the Australia, U.K. & the U.S.  Don't know about the rest of the world. I know D.A.R.Y.L. & Explorers are also both totally out of print in the western world. I need to get a DVD recorder so i can record some of my vids & rip them & then i'll be able to share them on the net for others to enjoy. If no production companies want to finance a DVD release for some of these movies it's their loss. 

Written By: robby76 on 07/19/05 at 10:59 am

Being a huge Ewok fan I loved both the ewok movies (recently released on a 2 in 1 dvd). Also loved the B.R.A.T. Patrol and the usual Disney tv movies.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/05 at 12:20 pm

I also like The Bear, it's a good film but sad as well.

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 12:45 pm

Ohhhhhhh my god, i totally forgot about B.R.A.T. Patrol, good one. I loved that movie. Wasn't there more then one of the B.R.A.T. Patrol movies? Now i will go and visit the video store that i buy my ex-rentals from & buy it imediatly if they have it there. So far they've had every obscure & out of print 80s kid's vid i grew up with.

Written By: smurfette 101 on 07/19/05 at 3:59 pm

i remember movies like,
romancing the stone
star man
short circuit
indiana jones raiders of the lost ark
breakfast club
sixteen candles
pretty in pink
neverending story
stand by me. ;)

Written By: cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 4:32 pm

Oh yeah i remember Starman, i have a preview of that at the start of one of my 80s vids in my collection. Breakfast Club was great but it's more of a teen flick really. It was on free to air TV over here in Oz just a few of months ago. I remember coming home from seeing a really sh!t movie (Sahara) at the drive in that night & Breakfast Club was just starting & i thought wow this is a nice change from the visual rape i was just subjected to. I may aswell have stayed home & waited for Breakfast Club to come on instead of wasting my money. Short Circuit was cool aswell. That reminds me, what about Batteries Not Included. I got to see Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom for the first time at school. After seeing that guy get he's heart ripped out i rember thinking this is cool, i can't believe they are showing this movie to us at school. The first time i saw Explorers was at school as well. They'd only show us a film on special occasions like the the last day of a term before school holidays or something.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/19/05 at 7:15 pm

You guys wont believe this, but when I was in 6th grade, my teacher let us watch The Goonies. About halfway through the movie, our principal walked in and said we couldn't watch it, because it had 'adult themes'. >:( :\'( ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/05 at 7:37 pm

You guys wont believe this, but when I was in 6th grade, my teacher let us watch The Goonies. About halfway through the movie, our principal walked in and said we couldn't watch it, because it had 'adult themes'. >:( :\'( ;D

Like what?

::)

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 8:06 pm

Possibly at the start in the bit were Mouth is translating what mikie's mum's instructions for the spanish maid & he starts making up stuff & making drug references & how each seperate drug goes in a seperate draw LOL. Also he tells the maid not to go in the attic because that's where Mikie's dad keeps all his sexual torture devices & that if she does a bad job she'll be locked in there with no food or water LOL. It's only a small bit though & it's really not enough to render the movie unsuitable for kids. Also the word sh!t is used a few times. ::). I know, it's like biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig deal  ::).

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/19/05 at 10:43 pm

Isn't there a part where they show a statue with a big penis? I think that was what did it. :D :-*

Written By: eightieschick53 on 07/20/05 at 10:41 am

My favorite kids movies from the '80's are:

1) E.T. Extra Terrestrial

2) The Goonies

3) Ghostbusters 1 & 2

4) Stand by Me

5) The Explorers

6) Big Top Pee Wee

7) Project X

8)Some Kind of Wonderful (more for teens, this movie will bore younger kids)

9) The Karate Kid

10) Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Written By: Rain on Marz on 07/31/05 at 7:41 am

:D Actually, one time my mom went to this little video store here, we were always getting like planet of the apes and all that, but one time , she let us pick, and we thought it was an alvin and the chipmunks movie, when actually we got a movie that was in the wrong cover, were really disappointed, but then thought oh well, it's about a cat right, so mom got busy in the kitchen making a fivestar meal, and left us to our show, she came in wondering why we were laughing so hard,only to be completely horrified that there was a cat with a room full of other cats getting it on in the tub, I think it was fritz the cat.From then on, she checked the movies that we rented and gave the people an earfull for letting that be placed in the childrens section. apparently that happened to many times and the place shut down not long after, I like the BB that took it's place, they check the shows that you rent. So I know that my children will not be subject to such things. It was funny at the time, but now that I'm a mother, I realize how bad that really was.

Written By: ralfy on 07/01/16 at 11:26 am

"Exclusive: director Shawn Levy on the Starman movie remake"

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/starman/41715/exclusive-director-shawn-levy-on-the-starman-movie-remake

Written By: ralfy on 08/16/16 at 11:39 am

"Classic '80s Movie 'Stand By Me' Celebrates 30th Anniversary"

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/classic-80s-movie-stand-celebrates-30th-anniversary/story?id=41204165

Check for new replies or respond here...