inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need Help naming this Horror Movie

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/18/05 at 10:24 pm

Its a movie I seen in the mid 80's. This young woman starts getting a bunch of prank calls. I think she's babysitting or something and her friends come over. Some of her friends get killed. The cops put a trace on the phone and when the killer calls, the cops call back and say the killer is calling from her upstairs bedroom. I dont remember all the details, but at the very end of the movie, the phone rings and when she picks it up, he says,"Hi, Its Billy". He is the killer. Does anyone remember this movie. I've been wanting to know the name of it for years.

Subject: Re: Need Help naming this Horror Movie

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 10:28 pm

Its a movie I seen in the mid 80's. This young woman starts getting a bunch of prank calls. I think she's babysitting or something and her friends come over. Some of her friends get killed. The cops put a trace on the phone and when the killer calls, the cops call back and say the killer is calling from her upstairs bedroom. I dont remember all the details, but at the very end of the movie, the phone rings and when she picks it up, he says,"Hi, Its Billy". He is the killer. Does anyone remember this movie. I've been wanting to know the name of it for years.

um..total shot in the dark but i'm thinking "Are You In The House Alone" from the early 80s..around the time i first started babysitting.. :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/18/05 at 10:31 pm

It's the infamous 70's Canadian slash film, Black Christmas (directed by ironically enough by the same guy who directed A Christmas Story).

Other horror movies since then have copied some of the ideas, in the film, such as Halloween, When A Stranger Calls, Friday The 13th, Scream, to name a few.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006RJHG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/

"Agnes, It's Billy! Don't tell what we did!"

Written By: pell on 07/18/05 at 10:34 pm

You're probably talking about "Black Christmas" (1974)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxxPSJCbGFjayBDaHJpc3RtYXMifG14PTIwfGxtPTUwMHxodG1sPTE_;fc=1;ft=20;fm=1

http://www.geocities.com/headhunter32746/Black_Christmas.html

Written By: pell on 07/18/05 at 10:35 pm

Ah, you beat me to it. :)

Written By: eightieschick53 on 07/18/05 at 10:38 pm

That movie did not take place in the '80's though. It came out in 1974...that's okay though....I've made that mistake too  :D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/18/05 at 11:01 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I could've swore it was an 80's movie. So its really a Canadian film called 'Black Christmas'? I dont remember anything in the film associated with Christmas. But it has been almost twenty years since I seen it. Any of you guys seen it recently? Is it just as scary as it was back then?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/18/05 at 11:09 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I could've swore it was an 80's movie. So its really a Canadian film called 'Black Christmas'? I dont remember anything in the film associated with Christmas. But it has been almost twenty years since I seen it. Any of you guys seen it recently? Is it just as scary as it was back then?

To answer your questions:

1) It was released in 1974
2) Yes.
3) It takes place during the Christmas week and Christmas.
4) I saw it for the first time less than a year ago, and also own it on DVD.

Hope it helps!

http://www.itsmebilly.com/

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/18/05 at 11:58 pm

I'm gonna have to buy this movie. Jamie, I have a question: What did Agnes do with BillY? :D ??? :-* :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/05 at 12:44 am

I'm gonna have to buy this movie. Jamie, I have a question: What did Agnes do with BillY? :D ??? :-* :o

Not sure...

I know off hand that killer's name was Billy (I think), Agnes was probally his baby sister or something like that (the film doesn't really explain off hand).

It's been awhile since I have seen the film.

You should check it out, it's a good film.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/19/05 at 7:42 am

Sounds to me more like "When a Stranger Calls" Do you remember if the killer askes if she has checked the children. when he calls back he askes "Why haven't you checked the children?"

http://sfy.ru/sfy.html?script=when_a_stranger_calls_1979

Written By: lorac614 on 07/19/05 at 10:13 am

Sounds to me more like "When a Stranger Calls" Do you remember if the killer askes if she has checked the children. when he calls back he askes "Why haven't you checked the children?"

http://sfy.ru/sfy.html?script=when_a_stranger_calls_1979

That's what it sounds like to me.

First the babysitter gets calls and no one says anything, then she gets calls asking "Have you checked the children lately?" and then "Why haven't you checked the children?".  The last call she gets is from the police (She called them when she first started getting the calls), they tell her they traced the calls and they're coming from inside the house.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/05 at 12:01 pm

That's what it sounds like to me.

First the babysitter gets calls and no one says anything, then she gets calls asking "Have you checked the children lately?" and then "Why haven't you checked the children?".  The last call she gets is from the police (She called them when she first started getting the calls), they tell her they traced the calls and they're coming from inside the house.

Nope... I am pretty sure it's Black Christmas, both Black Christmas and When A Stranger Calls have prretty much the same plot, and both were made in the 70's.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080130/

Written By: whitewolf on 07/19/05 at 12:02 pm

Not sure...

I know off hand that killer's name was Billy (I think), Agnes was probally his baby sister or something like that (the film doesn't really explain off hand).

It's been awhile since I have seen the film.

You should check it out, it's a good film.

if you are talking about When a stranger calls, the guythe babysitter likes was named Billy and she thought it was him calling.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/05 at 12:06 pm

if you are talking about When a stranger calls, the guythe babysitter likes was named Billy and she thought it was him calling.

Either way, both are good films, and both are pretty creepy.

Intresting trivia: some of the music in When A Stranger Calls was used for the THX logo.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/19/05 at 4:14 pm

Jamie is right. Its Black Christmas. A few years ago, I was asking someone if they remembered this movie, and they told me it was 'When a Stranger Calls'. I rented it, and it sucked. Its definitely Black Christmas. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/05 at 6:49 pm

So... what did you think of the film?  ???

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/19/05 at 7:12 pm

I haven't seen Black Christmas since the 80's. I loved it back then. It ranks up there with 'The Burning' and 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' as the best horror movies of all time. I just called a couple of video stores, and they dont have Black Christmas. I guess I'll have to buy it on Ebay. >:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/19/05 at 7:36 pm

Amazon.ca has it.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000V8F4C/qid=1121819737/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_0/701-5817909-1853119

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/28/05 at 4:53 am

I rented Black Christmas the other night. It wasn't as good as I remembered it. It wasn't that scary. Does NOT stand the test of time. I do recommend that movie 'The Burning' that we discussed before. I seen that again a couple of years ago, and it's still a creepy movie. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...