inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Countdown singers

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/19/05 at 3:36 pm

I bought a best of the 80's cd set from them, and haven't listened to it yet, are they good?

Subject: Re: Countdown singers

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/19/05 at 10:29 pm

I'd like to refer you to a post I made some time back in "Playful Penguin Place" with my thoughts on this genre of music.
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,3915.0.html
At least this'll sum up my opinions about it, anyway.

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/07 at 10:18 pm

I used to work with a lady who one day came into work and said she bought a "Best of" CD from Donna Summer, and that it wasn't Donna Summer, but some not very good sound-a-like.  I asked her if she bought the CD at Wal-Mart on the racks in the middle aisle for about $6.88 and she was like "How did you know?" lol

I never liked the Countdown Singers.  I mean why would you pay some 7 bucks for a CD of people trying to sound like the actual singers?  Why not spend a little more and get the actual singers?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/01/07 at 10:20 pm

I used to work with a lady who one day came into work and said she bought a "Best of" CD from Donna Summer, and that it wasn't Donna Summer, but some not very good sound-a-like.  I asked her if she bought the CD at Wal-Mart on the racks in the middle aisle for about $6.88 and she was like "How did you know?" lol

I never liked the Countdown Singers.  I mean why would you pay some 7 bucks for a CD of people trying to sound like the actual singers?  Why not spend a little more and get the actual singers?

I agree...I've always hated when it wasn't sung by the original. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/07 at 10:31 pm

I agree...I've always hated when it wasn't sung by the original. ::)

Something similar to the Countdown Singers are those ones that feature the actual singers, but are re-recordings.  They are usually on the shelves with the CS CDs.  Several Best of 80s CDs I see, have in fine print on the back: "All tracks have been recorded live or have been recorded by as many of the original members of each group as possible".  I got fooled into one of those ones coz the Wal-Mart price tag was covering the spot there that fine print was located >:(

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/03/07 at 4:23 pm

Spend? Spend??  :o :o ... Why spend anything, when there's limewire!  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/03/07 at 4:39 pm

These types of CDs have been around for a long time.  I remember seeing LPs and Cassettes that were very similar.

And I absolutely refuse to buy anything unless it clearly states "Original songs by original artist".  I was at Wherehouse this week wanting to get some new CDs, and saw the very collections you are talking about.  I think they were around $20, while similar sets with the original songs were next to it for around $40.

The only time I got burned like that in the last 5 years or so was when I bought a Herman's Hermits CD about 2 years ago.  I put it in, and immediately knew something was wrong.  Sure enough, when reading the inner notes it listed the lead singer, and it was not Peter Noone.

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/07 at 4:51 pm

These types of CDs have been around for a long time.  I remember seeing LPs and Cassettes that were very similar.

And I absolutely refuse to buy anything unless it clearly states "Original songs by original artist".  I was at Wherehouse this week wanting to get some new CDs, and saw the very collections you are talking about.  I think they were around $20, while similar sets with the original songs were next to it for around $40.

The only time I got burned like that in the last 5 years or so was when I bought a Herman's Hermits CD about 2 years ago.  I put it in, and immediately knew something was wrong.  Sure enough, when reading the inner notes it listed the lead singer, and it was not Peter Noone.

The ones on LP and cassette, usually had fine print that read something like: "All songs are recorded by studio singers and musicians in the same style as the original artists". 

Even without the fine print, you could generally always tell right away if the original artists were listed in brackets next to the songs.

Check for new replies or respond here...