inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's Sitcoms & Dramas season or series finales...

Written By: deemoe7301 on 07/21/05 at 9:06 pm

Do you remember the season or series finales of your favorite 80's Sitcoms or Dramas? Some of them didn't have a decent burial while others made us cry....I would love to see your thoughts!  ;)

Also, Did 'Facts of life' have a series finale?

As much as I loved that show, I can't remember!

Subject: Re: 80's Sitcoms & Dramas season or series finales...

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 07/21/05 at 9:12 pm

I liked "Alice" and "Three's Company", "Gimmie a Break"

Written By: iluvthe80s on 07/22/05 at 7:22 am

Do you remember the season or series finales of your favorite 80's Sitcoms or Dramas? Some of them didn't have a decent burial while others made us cry....I would love to see your thoughts!  ;)

Also, Did 'Facts of life' have a series finale?

As much as I loved that show, I can't remember!

The last episode of Facts of Life had Blair purchasing Eastland Girls School and becoming headmistress - there had been talk of spawning a new series based on that but it never panned out.

Written By: holicman on 07/22/05 at 7:38 am

I remember the final series of ALF.

good episode for anyone who knows it :D

Written By: tv on 07/22/05 at 1:38 pm

It wasn't in the 80's but "Who's The Boss" season finale I was so sad that day when it left the air. It was April 11th, 1992(a saturday Night) that it was its last episode. Sam(alylissa Milano) got I think married. I can't remember what happen with Tony(Tony Danza) and Angela(Judith Light.) I remember their relationship was getting alot closer the last couple of years of the show.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/05 at 2:19 pm

I remember Different Strokes went off the air in 1986(7) but I forgot how it ended it's final show? ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/22/05 at 6:45 pm

My favorite was the one used for Newhart.

Written By: smurfette 101 on 07/22/05 at 9:35 pm

my favorite was silver spoons,  punky brewster, good times,  and their is so much more... :)

Written By: deemoe7301 on 07/23/05 at 3:22 pm

It wasn't in the 80's but "Who's The Boss" season finale I was so sad that day when it left the air. It was April 11th, 1992(a saturday Night) that it was its last episode. Sam(alylissa Milano) got I think married. I can't remember what happen with Tony(Tony Danza) and Angela(Judith Light.) I remember their relationship was getting alot closer the last couple of years of the show.
I vaguely remember the finale to 'WTB', but I believe Tony and Angela were going to get married. (Correct if i'm wrong,anyone.) :-\\

Written By: deemoe7301 on 07/23/05 at 3:27 pm

The last episode of Facts of Life had Blair purchasing Eastland Girls School and becoming headmistress - there had been talk of spawning a new series based on that but it never panned out.
Thanks alot, riversidetigers, I think I remember that.

The Ironic twist was that, out of all the girls in the main cast, you woudn't have thought Blair would be the one becoming the second Ms. Garrett.  Thanks again!

Written By: Peter on 08/06/05 at 9:45 pm

I have to admit my two favorite series final season was "Family Ties" (in 1988 - 1989) -- one of the most completely done series final for a comedy show. 

My favorite drama ending had to be "St. Elsewhere", back in 1987, especially the ending of the last episode with the hospital in snow globe.

My favorite seasons for comedies in the 1980's was the first (1982 - 1983) and fourth (1985 - 1986, the last with Coach) and sixth (1986 - 1987, the last with Diane) of "Cheers"  (very funny episodes in those season, especially the hillarous Thanksgiving 1986 episode where they all dined at Carla's, still makes me LOL!  And Diane in the pilgrim outfit is just waaaaaaaay too out there for words.);  "Golden Girls" had a couple great seasons from 1985 to 1988 until the spin-off "Empty Nest" started, UGH! how they spinned that show off, was just awful for the "Girls".  "Murphy Brown"'s first season, 1988 - 1989 was one of the best seasons for any comedy show (this was before "Murphy" started dwelling into that what was going on on the show was actually "real life" -- Candice Bergen was at the top of her game in thiis season and unfortunately could never get that back -- I also have a fondness for the Valentine's Day episode, 1989, because Murphy's date on that episode {the high school teacher named of all things, Richie -- who ended up taking out Corky Sherwood instead} was played by my favorite character actor -- and also all around actor, Harley Venton -- who should have played David Addison on "Moonlighting" in my not too humble opinion (I was also told personally in 1992, by actress Valerie Harper that I favored Venton, so that's another reason why he's my favorite actor of that time period and of the last 25 years).  Mentioning Valerie reminds me that the time Harper was allowed to star in her own named show, "Valerie" was one of the best and most hillarous of times for that show!  Also "Designing Women"'s first two seasons (1986 - 1988) were very outstanding and I also loved the very little watched but having one of my favorite actress, Blair Brown star in it, "The Days & Nights Of Molly Dodd" was always outstanding!!  Also the one season (1982 - 1983) of "Square Pegs" was also very very outstanding and the fact that it brought fame to Sarah Jessica Parker gives "Pegs" even more a special place in my heart.

As for some of the best dramas of the 1980's having good seasons all-around, some that come to my mind are, "Hill Street Blues", "Cagney & Lacey", "Remington Steele" (especially the first three, 1982 - 1985), "Lou Grant" & "L.A. Law".

And one more very special series final season would definitely have to be "M*A*S*H" (1982 - 1983).

Just wanted to also make a special mention of my favorite mini-series of the 1980's, the sci-fi:  "V" & "V:  The Final Battle"; I just wish that when NBC attempted to make a series out of this show, they would have done it as well as they did the mini-series. (That one season was just awful and does no justice to the miniseries that preceded it)! 

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/06/05 at 9:59 pm

Was Threes Co. ending in the 80s? Thought it was the 70s... Whichever loved the show till the last year or so..cant beat suzanne 's snort laugh!..hated the other nurse chick..But the true STAR was John Ritter..he was just the best ..the day he died I cried my eyes out...

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/07/05 at 9:13 am

Was Threes Co. ending in the 80s? Thought it was the 70s... Whichever loved the show till the last year or so..cant beat suzanne 's snort laugh!..hated the other nurse chick..But the true STAR was John Ritter..he was just the best ..the day he died I cried my eyes out...

"Three's Company" did indeed have it's final season in the 1980's.

"Three's Company' final season was 1983 - 1984 on ABC.  That last season was rather bad, because it was the one where it appeared that Janet and the nurse were barely or is that rarely ever seen (Jack was going to Chef's school).  That last season was really a drag if you ask me (yes, pun intended).  I did like Chrissy (Suzanne's character) cousin, Cindy who was on during the 1979 - 1981 seasons (when Suzanne checked out or was pushed out, depending on the stories you read).   

In the 1984 - 1985 season ABC tried out a spinoff entitled "Three's A Crowd" which had Jack married and dealing with an obnoxious boss (I watched the first episode and it was soooooooooooo boring it was ridiculous, although Ritter did make a valiant attempt at not making it so).  Let's just say "Three's A Crowd" didn't last that long, and was replaced in the spring of 1985 by "Moonlighting". (For good or bad).

Five other ABC comedy shows that started in the 1970's that had half way decent seasons into the 1980's (but not necessarily their last ones -- there were only two of these five that did have a really great final season) were:

"Laverne & Shirley" (the first two seasons , 1980 - 1982 {but after the 1980 actor's strike} when the girls went out to Los Angeles, in the middle of the 1960's, were still quite funny.  Don't get me started on that last and final season of 1982 - 83 when it ended up being "Laverne, Shirleyless"  (Talk about BOOOOOOOOOORING!!!)

The show "L & S" spinned off from, "Happy Days" had a few decent seasons in the early 1980's, until in 1983 the producers decided to spin off Joannie & Chiachi (one of the dumbest mistakes ever made by a TV show's producers).

"Bosom Buddies" starring future big-time movie actor, director and producer, Tom Hanks, did quite well throughout it's run (or more it stayed funny throughout it's run, it was never a big hit), it started in the 1970's last year, 1979, but continued into 1981.  And the use of Billy Joel's "My Life" as it's theme song, was really a great idea.

"Taxi" stayed really funny throughout it's run (it started in the fall of 1978), on both ABC (until the spring of 1982) and on it's one and final season on NBC (1982 - 1983).  Christopher Lloyd was outstanding as the Rev. Jim, Andy Kaufmann was as brilliant as ever, and of course Tony Danza, John Hirsch and Danny DeVito were fantastic in their roles.

And last but not least, "Too Close For Comfort" starring "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" alumni, Ted Knight was also really really funny throughout it's run into the 1980's -- although the best thing for this show is when ABC cancelled it and sent it packing in the spring of 1981 {it ran two previous seasons on ABC from 1979 to 1981} and it ended up being produced independently and seen on independent channels (I do believe this is the first live, not animiated original series {so "The Muppett Show" doesn't count on this and "Space: 1999" seemed animated to me} to do this, predates "Star Trek:  The Next Generation" by two seasons) to nearly the end of it's run I do believe until the spring of 1985.  (The show's producers did seem to run out of steam in the last season, 1984 - 1985).  The sets for this show were also very glorious to look at, I always wish I could have had a townhouse like the leads on the show lived in -- out in San Fran. 

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/07/05 at 12:50 pm

I think i loved & love it all except the soap operas like Dynasty etc. To be honest i can't remember how any of the shows ended, but if it was on in the 80s you can bet your a** i watched & enjoyed it. I may aswell not even own a TV these days though. Almost everything people have already listed, too many to list really.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/05 at 1:28 pm

I vaguely remember the finale to 'WTB', but I believe Tony and Angela were going to get married. (Correct if i'm wrong,anyone.) :-\\

What I remember about the finale of "WTB" was that is ended when Tony showed up at Angela's house seeking the job of housekeeper. I can't remember anything else about the episode.

My favorite was the one used for Newhart.

That was classic. Great twist, I thought.

And one more very special series final season would definitely have to be "M*A*S*H" (1982 - 1983).

This was by far the VERY BEST OF THE BEST! I have the final episode on video (recorded when they showed it on t.v. one time). I just saw Biography on the show and they said that it was the most watched show on network televison to date. As of yet, nothing has surpassed it.

Cat

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 7:01 pm

;D  Yes CAT! MASH finale was the BEST!..I loved MASH..Bought the whole set from TimeLife or something like that..cost a fortune..I remember that last episode soo well..Wasnt it such a trip that Klinger spent all that time tryin to get home and then he stays... But when the camera pans back and you see "goodbye"...Total TEARJERKER....

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/08/05 at 4:39 pm

This was by far the VERY BEST OF THE BEST! I have the final episode on video (recorded when they showed it on t.v. one time). I just saw Biography on the show and they said that it was the most watched show on network televison to date. As of yet, nothing has surpassed it.

Cat

Peter with his more usual name on this site, sometimes forget to log in.  But anyway I agree with you CAT, still.  Of course I don't believe any show's final or any episode will ever surpass the final episode of "M*A*S*H".  Of course what I remember the most about that final episode is the commentary, at the time, how the whole show went for far longer than the actual Korean War.  ;)  If I remember correctly the show started on CBS in the Fall of 1972 (while the Vietnam War was still going on, and Nixon was about to defeat McGovern for the Presidency in a landslide and then we would get the whole Watergate coverup and hearings and then Nixon resigning) -- but what was interesting although the times had changed from 1972 to 1983 (although throughout that time period there was a lot of cynism throughout that time period -- even into Reagan's 1980's America {some much needed cynism that I think we need more of today and maybe over the weekend I saw some coming back in various different ways in the news that is} -- for the politics of the time), "M*A*S*H" continued to show that and didn't let up with that humorist cynism or what would later would be called ironic humor.  Let's see the Korean War lasted from 1951 to 1953 (a little over two years, as i recall), "M*A*S*H" lasted a whole 11 years (or 10 seasons)!

I myself also loved the theme playing at the end of the final episode.

BTW, I do believe one drama's finale episode almost achieved the same thing (the emotional elements) as "M*A*S*H" and this show also started in the late 1980's, and it was about another war (the Vietnam War) and that would be "China Beach". 

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 5:08 pm

:)  I agree..China Beach was an excellent show..extremely well written and acted..The cast was superb..Marg Helgenberger, Dana Delany, Michael Boatman, Concetta Tomei, Jeff Kober, Robert Picardo, Brian Wimmer...Many of whom need to be in a series now!!! I miss them..( scuse me..ALL of them need to be on now! )...I was very upset when the show ended ..

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/09/05 at 3:43 am

I remmeber seeing a "Who's The Boss" episode where Angela and Tony were getting married but they were unsure of going through with it so Tony had a dream of how things would've turned out and everything sort of spun out of control. I believe that was one of the last episodes - if not the last. I remember watching it in my bedroom while doing some laundry. But, I thought it was sort of a bad episode for ending the show. I wish they had done it differently.

Written By: Sakura on 08/09/05 at 3:54 pm

Speaking of t.v shows it got me remebering a show with a girl that was a robot who lived with a family I think it was a mom, dad and son. Does anyone remember this?

Written By: Howard on 08/09/05 at 3:55 pm

Speaking of t.v shows it got me remebering a show with a girl that was a robot who lived with a family I think it was a mom, dad and son. Does anyone remember this?

Yes Sakura.The show was called "Small Wonder".

Written By: Sakura on 08/09/05 at 4:00 pm

Thanks!
I loved that show

Written By: Howard on 08/09/05 at 4:02 pm

Thanks!
I loved that show

You're Welcome :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/05 at 4:47 pm

;D  Yes CAT! MASH finale was the BEST!..I loved MASH..Bought the whole set from TimeLife or something like that..cost a fortune..I remember that last episode soo well..Wasnt it such a trip that Klinger spent all that time tryin to get home and then he stays... But when the camera pans back and you see "goodbye"...Total TEARJERKER....

I am looking for it on DVD. I know they just came out with season 8 (out of 11). I did just order seasons 1-7 from BestPrices.com and then they cancelled the order on me-and didn't tell me why.  ???  I e-mailed them and they gave me a b.s. answer. I will NEVER go through them again for anything! So, in the meanwhile, I am still looking.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...