inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: They Live

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 8:42 am

Since someone earlier brought up The Fog, a really good John Carpenter film, (he hasn't done anything since Ghosts of Mars), I thought I would mention They Live, an underrated sci-fi film about a drifter played by Rowdy Roddy Piper, who discovers that the business men and politicians in his world are really aliens, once he puts on a pair of sunglasses.

Intersting fact:

The fight sequence between Rowdy Roddy Piper and Keith David, is one of the longest fight scenes done for a movie.

There is also South Park episode that spoofs it as well.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

You see, I take these glasses off, she looks like a regular person, doesn't she? Put 'em back... ...on formaldehyde face.

Subject: Re: They Live

Written By: bj26 on 07/25/05 at 3:25 pm

It was a pretty good flick, I liked Piper's character he was pretty believable (like with Mad Max, I can identify).  Never made it to the end of the movie though 8)

Written By: Howard on 07/25/05 at 5:03 pm

I loved the film They Live.It's weird how he can just put on the glasses and he can see aliens then when he takes them off he sees normal people.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 5:34 pm

I differently don't want to wear those glasses....  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/25/05 at 5:49 pm

I differently don't want to wear those glasses....  ::)

And why not Jamie? ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 6:06 pm

And why not Jamie? ;D

I would be freaked out.............  ::)  ;D

Written By: Rob on 07/25/05 at 6:31 pm

Best Roddy Piper flick since Hell Comes To Frogtown.

And yes, that was sarcasm.

I actually did like They Live.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 6:59 pm

I have heard "things" about Hell Comes To Frogtown, is the film that bad?  ::)  ;D

Written By: Rob on 07/25/05 at 7:10 pm

Yeah, Frogtown is pretty bad. What's worse is, I believe they sequeled it.  :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 7:36 pm

Yeah, Frogtown is pretty bad. What's worse is, I believe they sequeled it.  :o

Wow... that bad?  ::)

Written By: Skippy on 07/25/05 at 10:02 pm

I don't mean to change the subject but has anyone read Stephen King's short story "The 10 O'clock People" ? It's similar in that the "baddies", I think they were vampires, can only be seen by certain people.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 10:08 pm

The movie itself is based on a short story called "Eight O'Clock in the Morning" by Ray Nelson.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/05 at 10:09 pm

Since someone earlier brought up The Fog, a really good John Carpenter film, (he hasn't done anything since Ghosts of Mars), I thought I would mention They Live, an underrated sci-fi film about a drifter played by Rowdy Roddy Piper, who discovers that the business men and politicians in his world are really aliens, once he puts on a pair of sunglasses.

Intersting fact:

The fight sequence between Rowdy Roddy Piper and Keith David, is one of the longest fight scenes done for a movie.

There is also South Park episode that spoofs it as well.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

You see, I take these glasses off, she looks like a regular person, doesn't she? Put 'em back... ...on formaldehyde face.

I knew a girl like that once!  Seriously, I haven't seen that movie yet but I'd like to.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/05 at 10:35 pm

What..... she was an alien too?  :o  ;D  ::)

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/26/05 at 10:11 am

:) Loved that movie although technically it came out in 1990. I saw it back then, but i just hired it last weekend & made my girlfriend watch it because she'd never seen it. As exagerated as it was i think there is a lot of truth in that movie.
What about those lines though, classic & hillarous. "i came here to kick a** & chew bubble gum & i'm all out of bubble gum". The Duke Nukem game stole that one from this movie. Oh & how could i forget "mamma don't like tatle tales" LOL.  "See when i put on these glasses famaldahyed face, but when take them off nothing. You, you're ok, this one, real f***in ugly." ;D.
The main actor in They Live was Rowdy Rody Piper who was a wrestler in the early & mid 80s & also made an appearance in the fimlclip for the Cindy Lauper Goonies song. I'm sure you all know that though.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 11:17 am

:) Loved that movie although technically it came out in 1990. I saw it back then, but i just hired it last weekend & made my girlfriend watch it because she'd never seen it. As exagerated as it was i think there is a lot of truth in that movie.
What about those lines though, classic & hillarous. "i came here to kick a** & chew bubble gum & i'm all out of bubble gum". The Duke Nukem game stole that one from this movie. Oh & how could i forget "mamma don't like tatle tales" LOL.  "See when i put on these glasses famaldahyed face, but when take them off nothing. You, you're ok, this one, real f***in ugly." ;D.
The main actor in They Live was Rowdy Rody Piper who was a wrestler in the early & mid 80s & also made an appearance in the fimlclip for the Cindy Lauper Goonies song. I'm sure you all know that though.

I got the Duke Nukem game awhile back, by the way those are my favorite lines in the film!  ;D

"I came here to kick a** & chew bubble gum & I'm all out of bubble gum!" and "ee when i put on these glasses famaldahyed face, but when take them off nothing. You, you're ok, this one, real f***in ugly."

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 11:26 am

The main actor in They Live was Rowdy Rody Piper who was a wrestler in the early & mid 80s.
Actually he was as were all the others in his proffession an "entertainment" wrestler ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 11:34 am

Actually he was as were all the others in his proffession an "entertainment" wrestler ;)

Don't tell that to Captain Lou Albano....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/26/05 at 1:28 pm

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 5:36 pm

Don't tell that to Captain Lou Albano....  ::)  ;D
;DRemember when they had him take a lie detector test about "Wrestling" being real, non-scripted and serious? He failed and was very po'd :D ;D ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/26/05 at 5:39 pm

Or Hulk Hogan  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/05 at 9:51 pm

;DRemember when they had him take a lie detector test about "Wrestling" being real, non-scripted and serious? He failed and was very po'd :D ;D ;)

I remember!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...