inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weirdest 80's music videos

Written By: MarcDaShark on 07/30/05 at 11:42 am

What would you say are some of the weirdest music videos of the 80s?

One of them I would say is "Da Da Da" by Trio.  What are some of your picks?

Subject: Re: Weirdest 80's music videos

Written By: MetalManiac on 07/30/05 at 1:22 pm

Don't come Around Here No More  by Tom Petty. I want whatever he was smokin!

Actually, I take that back...Rock It by Herbie Hancock. There was some weirdass stuff in that video...cool but very strange.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/30/05 at 1:49 pm

Puttin on the ritz by Taco---just recently saw this  :o

Land of confusion by Genesis

Written By: woops on 07/30/05 at 2:51 pm

Agree wit the Tom Petty, Herbie Hancock,  & Genesis videos...  :)

Most from Devo were pretty interesting like "Freedom of Choice" & "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Written By: _adam_ on 07/30/05 at 4:50 pm

Relax-Frankie goes to hollywood

Written By: Acidpiss on 07/31/05 at 1:05 am

Hands down weirdest 80s music video was "Why Me" by Plan P (also known as Planet P). Some strange imagery in that video.
Great song though. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/05 at 9:46 am

Hands down weirdest 80s music video was "Why Me" by Plan P (also known as Planet P). Some strange imagery in that video.
Great song though. :)

I've never seen that one, but I've heard the exact same thing by a few others. In general, how would you describe it?

BTW: more related to the song itself, but there's a line about "The last man to leave here was never heard from again. He won't be back this way till 2010."

Needless to say I always liked that. Of course for the time it came out (1983 I think?) that sounded like an ominous, futuristic thing to say. Like if we had a song mentioning 2030. And just think, we're only 5 years away from it, and the world ain't that different! ;)

Written By: Schillingfan on 07/31/05 at 2:58 pm

Pale Shelter, Mad World and Change (all 1983) by Tears For Fears. I like them all, but PS and Change I never got to understanding!

Written By: Acidpiss on 08/01/05 at 2:06 am

I've never seen that one, but I've heard the exact same thing by a few others. In general, how would you describe it?

Don't remember it vividly since I was young. Remember alot of quick-cut type edits using a boy, a skull and if I remember correctly, a car floating in space.

All I remember is it weirded me out big time. It was creepy.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/01/05 at 8:55 am

Probably not the wierdest one i've ever seen, but the one that comes to mind at this moment is Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads. Hey MetalManiac i'm sure i've seen that Tom Petty one, isn't that the one with the Alice In Wonderland theme? Wow was that a filmclip on acid from hell or what?

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/01/05 at 11:34 am

Probably not the wierdest one i've ever seen, but the one that comes to mind at this moment is Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads. Hey MetalManiac i'm sure i've seen that Tom Petty one, isn't that the one with the Alice In Wonderland theme? Wow was that a filmclip on acid from hell or what?

Yup...that Tom Petty vid was Alice in Wonderland on  mushrooms or something  :D  Totally rad...I loved it even if it did make me feel a bit unsettled

Written By: MarcDaShark on 08/01/05 at 11:53 am

Probably not the wierdest one i've ever seen, but the one that comes to mind at this moment is Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads.

In that video, the lead singer looks like he's in desperate need for some coke.  ;D  Awesome song, though.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/01/05 at 12:35 pm

the lead singer looks like he's in desperate need for some coke.

LMAO ;D

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/01/05 at 4:03 pm

Mr.Roboto by Styx, that video scared the crap out of me when I first saw it! But I think it was those robots

One thing about Nena's video for 99 Luft Balloons, why does the video keep going back and forth on slow motion pace and normal pace! It's irritating!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/05 at 12:48 am

Yup...that Tom Petty vid was Alice in Wonderland on mushrooms or something :D Totally rad...I loved it even if it did make me feel a bit unsettled

Yeah it's certainly interesting. Despite that I'm STILL afraid of it (if I don't expect to see it, LOL), I would love to see a "behind the scenes/making of"-type feature for this video if such a thing exists.

Storywise, I wonder things like (1) does it take place in the present or the past, when AIW was supposed to have happened in the 19th century, and (2) how/why does Alice get in the pathway to Tom's dungeon in the first place.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/04/05 at 5:16 am

Yeah it's certainly interesting. Despite that I'm STILL afraid of it (if I don't expect to see it, LOL), I would love to see a "behind the scenes/making of"-type feature for this video if such a thing exists.

I'm going to do some web searching, you've got me interested now. It was a powerful visual! I have't seen it for years but would love to. Maybe I'll see if a local store has it (doubtful these days).

2) how/why does Alice get in the pathway to Tom's dungeon in the first place.

She was eating mushrooms, I'm telling you  ;D :D Either that or there were peyote cacti around her that she partook of  8)  Only reason I can work out for why she turned into a cake at the end LOL!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/05 at 5:40 am

^ LOL. Storywise you're probably right.

As for the video, it's on his old compilation from the 80's called "A Bunch of Videos and Some Other Stuff" and on the newer one called Playback, which I think is still available on DVD. I have it taped off VH1 somewhere but I'm actually afraid to watch it since I forget where in the tape it is.

Yeah I know I'm more than a little old for that, but what can I say! ;D

As a sidenote, I wonder who the actress is who played Alice? I'd guess she was like 10 or 12 in that, so she'd have to be around 30 today -- I can't believe 1985 was 20 years ago!!!

Written By: _adam_ on 08/04/05 at 6:40 am

The Cure-Close to me

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/04/05 at 7:32 am

^ LOL. Storywise you're probably right.

As for the video, it's on his old compilation from the 80's called "A Bunch of Videos and Some Other Stuff" and on the newer one called Playback, which I think is still available on DVD. I have it taped off VH1 somewhere but I'm actually afraid to watch it since I forget where in the tape it is.

Yeah I know I'm more than a little old for that, but what can I say! ;D

As a sidenote, I wonder who the actress is who played Alice? I'd guess she was like 10 or 12 in that, so she'd have to be around 30 today -- I can't believe 1985 was 20 years ago!!!

Amazon has Playback. I'll order that if I can't find it locally. Wish we could pay for and d/l videos like we can music.

Little old for being spooked by a video? No you're not...I'm still deathly afraid of clowns. How dumb is that? :-[

Dunno who the girl is in that video but it'd be fun to see if she is mentioned somewhere on line and if she's done anything else. I'm also curious about the little girl who was in Lita Ford's "Hungry for your sex" video. That was another strange Alice in Wonderland type video-wasn't creepy like Tom Petty's though

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/06 at 7:18 pm

Had A Dream (Sleeping With the Enemy) - Roger Hodgson
Fade to Grey - Visage
Too Bad - Doug and the Slugs

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 06/28/06 at 11:42 pm

Anything Tiffany

Makes me believe that Ashley Tisdale is much older than her actual age...  :o

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/29/06 at 1:05 am

Hawk, the Slayer's Top 6 Weirdest '80s Videos:

6. "Hyperactive", by Thomas Dolby. Disconnected, but fun...especially the ventriloquist bit!
5. "Don't Come Around Here No More", by Tom Petty. Alice as a cake, & his smile at the end.....
4. "She's A Beauty", by The Tubes. Now, THAT would be a ride to trip one out...
3. "Torture", by the Jacksons. Just exactly what was the POINT of this video?
2. "Everybody Have Fun Tonight", by Wang Chung. The flash-face motions were a trip out!
AND! Hawk's Personal Vote For Weirdest Video Of the 1980s:
1. "Shock the Monkey", by Peter Gabriel. I understand the idea of the song, but this was a weird way to show it......

Written By: dr mabuse on 06/29/06 at 10:18 am

Send Me An Angel - Real Life (looks like it was filmed on the same locale as "Legend" lots of fog and hazy cinematography, a scary monster, the not-so-attractive lead singer, very fairy-tale like and just flat out weeeiiiiiirrrrrrdddd)

I Love You - Yello (bizarre video, weird colors and imagery, one trippy looking woman in huge sunglasses)

Jeopardy - Greg Kihn (zombies in a church?  Maybe it was trying to rip "Thriller")

These are the ones that really come to mind. 

Written By: Mushroom on 06/30/06 at 12:34 am

Wow, there were so many of them.  Here are a few I remember, in no particular oder:

Oingo Boingo - Little Girls (imagine somebody trying to do  a video today about pedophilia)
David Bowie - Let's Dance (Hey, let's make a music video about some people in Brazil living through a nuclear war!)
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax (hey, let's set a video in a gay leather bar!)
Michael Nesmith - Sunset Sam (Hulk Hogan look-alike as a rollerskating hustler with 2 hookers)
Devo - Jocko Homo (the video is as weird as the song)

And there is one really strange one, but I can't remember the song or who performed it.  I know that a lot of time in the video was spent around an old school buss, and a bunch of televisions.  Towards the end of the video, the band crashes the bus through a wall of televisions.  It would have been one of the earliest videos, around 1982-1983.

Written By: pell on 06/30/06 at 1:52 am

1. "Shock the Monkey", by Peter Gabriel. I understand the idea of the song, but this was a weird way to show it......

Actually, anything by Peter Gabriel was weird and cool. "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" were strange and fun.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/30/06 at 9:49 am

Close To The Edit by Art of Noise is way up there.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/30/06 at 10:19 am

Send Me An Angel - Real Life (looks like it was filmed on the same locale as "Legend" lots of fog and hazy cinematography, a scary monster, the not-so-attractive lead singer, very fairy-tale like and just flat out weeeiiiiiirrrrrrdddd)

I Love You - Yello (bizarre video, weird colors and imagery, one trippy looking woman in huge sunglasses)

Jeopardy - Greg Kihn (zombies in a church?  Maybe it was trying to rip "Thriller")

These are the ones that really come to mind. 

Watching Send Me A Angel, right now...... Your right, it is weird!  ;D

Written By: Davester on 06/30/06 at 10:48 am

Hawk, the Slayer's Top 6 Weirdest '80s Videos:

AND! Hawk's Personal Vote For Weirdest Video Of the 1980s:

Yeah, Shock the Monkey would be my pick, as well...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/30/06 at 11:25 pm

Now that's a weird video!

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/06 at 12:00 am

One of my all-time favourite 80s songs .. "Love Leads to Madness" by Nazareth

Apparently Nazareth weren't ready for the video age, and it shows  :\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPwTvmhdbZQ&search=nazareth%20love%20leads%20to%20madness

Written By: woops on 07/01/06 at 3:52 am

banned version of "Relax" from Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Written By: berger on 07/02/06 at 12:33 pm

Land of confusion by Genesis

My son was 2yrs old when this video came out. He would hide in the kitchen and scream & scream until I turned it off.
He hated that video!!!
Hes now 22yrs old and it still creeps him out ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/02/06 at 5:49 pm

It is a really strange video.  ;D

Written By: woops on 07/02/06 at 6:10 pm

I actually found the "Land of Confusion" video funny,  :D ;D

Written By: Ed216 on 07/02/06 at 10:13 pm

I would have to say ANY video by Duran Duran. They were all stupid or creepy, or both.

The discussion of the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Alice In Wonderland video reminded me of a similar one. There was video by The Greg Kihn Band, (I don't remember the name of the song anymore) that was a takeoff of The Wizard Of Oz. That was pretty strange too. Maybe not in the top ten of strange videos, but I did see it on MTV a few times, and it stuck out in my memory as one of the weirder ones  I saw.

Written By: Bobby on 07/03/06 at 5:29 am

Definitely agree with 'Rockit' by Herbie Hancock and 'Don't come around here no more' by Tom Petty.

I think I ought to add "Hyperactive" by Thomas Dolby and 'Somebody's watching me' by Rockwell - great but definitely off-kilter videos.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/04/06 at 1:45 am

I would have to say ANY video by Duran Duran. They were all stupid or creepy, or both.

The discussion of the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Alice In Wonderland video reminded me of a similar one. There was video by The Greg Kihn Band, (I don't remember the name of the song anymore) that was a takeoff of The Wizard Of Oz. That was pretty strange too. Maybe not in the top ten of strange videos, but I did see it on MTV a few times, and it stuck out in my memory as one of the weirder ones  I saw.

You are either referring to Greg Kihn's "Jeopardy", or "The Breakup Song".
One of the most off-kilter videos I saw was David Bowie's "Ashes To Ashes".
All I can say is two words: Jeffrey Dahmer.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/04/06 at 12:42 pm

Rockit is definetly a weird video.  ;D

Written By: namilliron on 07/05/06 at 5:18 pm

Pale Shelter, Mad World and Change (all 1983) by Tears For Fears. I like them all, but PS and Change I never got to understanding!

I take it these were not striaght performance clips.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/06/06 at 3:49 am

How about Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse Of the Heart"?

I mean, I got most of it...but what was with the flying choir boys, whose eyes resembled something out of Zenna Handerson's "The People" novels???
???

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/06/06 at 9:36 am

haircut 100's love plus one comes to mind.

mmm going tribal

Written By: violet_shy on 01/14/19 at 1:22 pm

The only one that comes to mind is Loverboy by Billy Ocean.

Land of Confusion didn't seem weird to me. Which is weird! Lol.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/19 at 7:21 am

The only one that comes to mind is Loverboy by Billy Ocean.

Land of Confusion didn't seem weird to me. Which is weird! Lol.

I think Land Of Confusion was meant to be a comedy music video.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/15/19 at 12:30 pm

I think Land Of Confusion was meant to be a comedy music video.

Yes, but some people thought it was creepy. Lol. I never did find it creepy, and I was just a kid back then!

Written By: Howard on 01/15/19 at 3:35 pm

Yes, but some people thought it was creepy. Lol. I never did find it creepy, and I was just a kid back then!

I think it was about Ronald Reagan and Nancy.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/15/19 at 6:54 pm

I think it was about Ronald Reagan and Nancy.

Yup, it was.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/13/19 at 9:01 pm

Well, you've got give credit to Weird Al Yankovic for his wackiness and creativity in the early years of the 1980s.

I Lost On Jeopardy
Another One Rides The Bus
Ricky
My Balonga
Dare To Be Stupid
Eat It
Fat

Written By: annimal on 02/14/19 at 10:45 am

I think some of those might have been parodies from some songs

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/14/19 at 2:09 pm

I think some of those might have been parodies from some songs

They were but Al was pretty wacky while being respectful to the artists that he parodies.

Written By: annimal on 02/14/19 at 6:55 pm

You don't think living in the sewer with a pet hamster is normal?

Written By: randyripoff on 03/07/19 at 5:59 pm

Dare To Be Stupid

Dare To Be Stupid was a perfect parody of Devo. Speaking of whom, Girl U Want, Whip It and Freedom of Choice would all qualify.

Written By: randyripoff on 03/07/19 at 6:14 pm

Another contender would be True Faith by New Order.

Written By: cowboy on 03/08/19 at 6:29 am

Also Clouds Across The Moon by the Rah Band. It's so weird, it is from 1985, yet it's like it belongs to the space disco age of 1978-1979. The song itself was NOT dated, it was futuristic yet also very 80s.

I think Romeo and Juliet's music video by Dire Straits is kinda weird. I also always found the 1985's Money For Nothing video great, yet the way the music video and the song slowly fades in with the computer animation always surprised me. My 6 year old self thought this was some kind of a cartoon/TV bumper segment (it really was made to look like one with the 2 fake MTV videos in it). And how did the "Sally" bit even got past the censuring boards? A hot girl in panties. ;) I really thought those "fake" videos were real (Baby Baby by First Floor and Sally by the Ian Pearson Band). Weird Al did a parody of the video and song using the same effects with Beverly Hillbillies footage. I can't recreate those effects with Movie Maker. :D

Stock Aitken and Waterman had weird music videos, many were cheap-looking, like filmed on VHS or something and with tacky OTT clothes like Kylie's clothes in I Should Be So Lucky or Got to Be Certain (this last one though had some polished parts like when she's in the black dress on the roof, no wonder the weird video with her friends dancing in a coffee house got shelved).

Written By: violet_shy on 03/19/19 at 2:41 pm

The music video of "Total eclipse of the heart". So weird. Lol.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/19 at 2:47 pm

The music video of "Total eclipse of the heart". So weird. Lol.

What was so weird about it?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/19/19 at 2:56 pm

What was so weird about it?

Do you remember the music video? The whole concept was weird. Well, least I think it was.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/19 at 5:39 pm

-Land Of Confusion-Genesis
-Jeopardy-Greg Kihn
-Don't Come Around Here No More-Tom Petty
-Pressure-Billy Joel
-Total Eclipse Of The Heart-Bonnie Tyler
-Take On Me-A HA

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that I can think of right now.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 03/19/19 at 6:44 pm

-Don't Come Around Here No More-Tom Petty

Cat

Oh gosh YES. This music video was super weird!

Written By: Howard on 03/20/19 at 3:01 pm

Do you remember the music video? The whole concept was weird. Well, least I think it was.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGpZGLrZ7Wh8-k4reTlKdnkqmELpxJq2biDUVHunrapNastm_Q6Q

The video looks like it came out from some science fiction film.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 3:07 pm

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGpZGLrZ7Wh8-k4reTlKdnkqmELpxJq2biDUVHunrapNastm_Q6Q

The video looks like it came out from some science fiction film.  :o
That's from "Total Eclipse of the Heart"?

Written By: Howard on 03/20/19 at 3:53 pm

That's from "Total Eclipse of the Heart"?

Yes that is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/19 at 4:03 pm

Yes that is.
I must re-watch it....

Written By: Howard on 03/21/19 at 7:30 am

I must re-watch it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcOxhH8N3Bo

Written By: humaeast on 05/04/19 at 3:48 pm

Came here to say Land of Confusion. LMAO I guess Britain did not have Muppets.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/06/19 at 9:41 am

GHhD4PD75zY

Written By: Howard on 05/07/19 at 5:29 am

GHhD4PD75zY

The funny thing is with this video is that Herbie made these mannequins work in sync with the video.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/13/19 at 2:23 am

Madonna's Like A Virgin is one weird video. I don't hate Madonna, but it is a very weird video!  ;D

I suspect that there's a lot of symbolism in the video, but I'm too lazy to think clearly about the video.  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: Howard on 05/13/19 at 5:30 am

Madonna's Like A Virgin is one weird video. I don't hate Madonna, but it is a very weird video!  ;D

I suspect that there's a lot of symbolism in the video, but I'm too lazy to think clearly about the video.  :-X  :-X  :-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__rX_WL100
What's so weird about it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/19 at 5:30 am

Is it still banned in various countries around the world?

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 8:20 am

Grayson Hughes - Talk It Over (1989)

It had people randomly coming out of suitcases.  :o

Starship - Nothing’s Going to Stop Us Now (1987)

Sometimes I confuse the mannequins for being actual partygoers in this video.

Deniece Williams - Let’s Hear It for the Boy (1984)

The video for this song was too cartoony despite being live action and its cheesiness factor was too over the top that it was surreal.

Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen (1984)

Why is the weird puppet man dancing to the  left of Billy Ocean in this video?

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 3:11 pm

Some more to add:

Kool and the Gang - Misled (1984)

The whole part of JJ Taylor chasing the woman with a painted white face and all white ensemble is odd.

Klaus Nomi - Lightning Strikes (1981)

The unusual costume Klaus is wearing in this video is a bit freaky at first when you see it.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/19 at 2:58 pm

Some more to add:

Kool and the Gang - Misled (1984)

The whole part of JJ Taylor chasing the woman with a painted white face and all white ensemble is odd.

Klaus Nomi - Lightning Strikes (1981)

The unusual costume Klaus is wearing in this video is a bit freaky at first when you see it.

Retro, I'm trying to figure that one out and also what's with the zombies too? :o

Written By: Retrolover on 07/31/19 at 4:39 pm

Retro, I'm trying to figure that one out and also what's with the zombies too? :o

The 80s were the best if you’re an artsy member of the Baby Boomer or Gen X generations. The 80s were also for people who enjoy seeing metaphors in everything. The 80s were pretty weird to everyone else.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/04/19 at 12:17 am

Lionel Richie - All Night Long (1983)

nqAvFx3NxUM

Everything is too colorful (minus Lionel’s leather red jacket) and the dances the background dancers are doing is in fast motion (reminds me of the alien lady eating the hamster in “V”).  :o

Nolan Thomas - Yo Little Brother (1984)

MiARecI8T6s

^ Missing the red leather jacket, but same thing as above. Nolan’s hair is bright red too. Is Nolan wearing eye liner in this video or not?  :o

The music video to Janet Jackson’s “When I Think of You” is like Lionel’s video in the beginning (colors too bright and colorful), but it got better towards the end.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/04/19 at 9:48 am

David Seeger and Holly Whitstock Seeger - The Karate Rap (1986)

LJSZ1TwjcsQ

The rap itself is fine, but the lighting, makeup worn by the dancers, close ups, and everything look like they came out of the early 80s or the very start of the mid 80s and this is ‘86!!!

Olivia Newton-John - Physical (1981)

The fat guy in this video creeps me out for some reason. The whole thing is surreal.

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes (1980)

Early 80s Bowie! Need I say anymore?

Written By: Howard on 08/04/19 at 1:31 pm

David Seeger and Holly Whitstock Seeger - The Karate Rap (1986)

LJSZ1TwjcsQ

The rap itself is fine, but the lighting, makeup worn by the dancers, close ups, and everything look like they came out of the early 80s or the very start of the mid 80s and this is ‘86!!!

Olivia Newton-John - Physical (1981)

The fat guy in this video creeps me out for some reason. The whole thing is surreal.

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes (1980)

Early 80s Bowie! Need I say anymore?

That video was just wierd, why would anyone rap about karate?  ::)

Written By: Retrolover on 08/04/19 at 6:34 pm

That video was just wierd, why would anyone rap about karate?  ::)

This Guy:

https://eazye63.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/wp-image-2185828411.jpg

Bruce Lee

&

This Song:

https://sacharts.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/kung_fu_fighting.jpg

^ Self Explanatory

Written By: annimal on 08/04/19 at 9:30 pm

to fast for me to see

Written By: Howard on 08/05/19 at 7:04 am

This Guy:

https://eazye63.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/wp-image-2185828411.jpg

Bruce Lee

&

This Song:

https://sacharts.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/kung_fu_fighting.jpg

^ Self Explanatory

And I think Kung Fu Fighting was a better song than The Karate Rap.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/05/19 at 8:38 am

And I think Kung Fu Fighting was a better song than The Karate Rap.

Not many people know of “The Karate Rap” like they do “Kung Fu Fighting”.

Here are some links to other people’s weird 80s videos:

https://www.vulture.com/2013/08/weird-mtv-videos-1980s.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/whatculture.com/amp/music/10-hauntingly-weird-music-videos-1980s

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.throwbacks.com/15-bizarre-music-videos-from-the-80s-that-will-make-you-question-your-sanity/amp/

Some of the videos in these links are listed here already (Bonnie Tyler - “Total Eclipse of the Heart”). I found other videos under these links to not be as strange as the authors make them out to be (FYC - “She Drives Me Crazy”). Lastly, there aren’t YouTube videos available for some music videos in those links (Oingo Boingo - “Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me”).

Written By: Retrolover on 08/05/19 at 3:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu0ulHQizgQ
Ronnie Jones - Video Games (1980)

This is a weird song, all he sings about is just video games.

Very early 80s. Is it electro funk or disco? Who knows. There wasn’t a music video to it though.

This song on the other hand is not one to watch at 2am:

6vE5ewvxdfo

Escape Club - Wild Wild West (1988)

The weird usage of the band member’s arms and bare legs without the torso and head in tact is frightening at first. It was meant to be ‘cute’, but the arms and legs rubs me the wrong way.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/05/19 at 4:39 pm

Anything Peter Murphy goes here. This song especially:

Peter Murphy - All Night Long (1988)

blZwlNxzDxw

Written By: Howard on 08/06/19 at 7:13 am

Very early 80s. Is it electro funk or disco? Who knows. There wasn’t a music video to it though.

This song on the other hand is not one to watch at 2am:

6vE5ewvxdfo

Escape Club - Wild Wild West (1988)

The weird usage of the band member’s arms and bare legs without the torso and head in tact is frightening at first. It was meant to be ‘cute’, but the arms and legs rubs me the wrong way.

There was a music video to it but I think it was taken down, I'm not too sure.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/06/19 at 8:16 am

There was a music video to it but I think it was taken down, I'm not too sure.

It must be a rare music video since people from the UK do not have online screen-grabs of it from their music video VHS collections.

I imagine it was like very other music video made before the advent of MTV. Ronnie Jones was either on stage singing it, in a white room like the artist M for “Pop Musik”, or walking around a city like you see in early Blondie videos.

Here’s another bizarre 80s music video you should not watch at night:

Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok (1984)

c0i16ELBqYg

Human beings as chess pieces!!!  :o

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 11:18 pm

It’s hard to compile a list of every weird 80s video because you can’t get them all from MTV, VH1,BET, TBS, The Jukebox Network, and the other channels like you could back then. The videos that people recorded have been transferred to DVD from VHS and some old schoolers don’t know how to upload videos onto YouTube. Not to mention, those music video collectors wouldn’t want to pay VEVO. You could probably fill a library with videos from the 80s and 90s.  :o

Written By: Howard on 08/08/19 at 7:04 am

It must be a rare music video since people from the UK do not have online screen-grabs of it from their music video VHS collections.

I imagine it was like very other music video made before the advent of MTV. Ronnie Jones was either on stage singing it, in a white room like the artist M for “Pop Musik”, or walking around a city like you see in early Blondie videos.

Here’s another bizarre 80s music video you should not watch at night:

Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok (1984)

c0i16ELBqYg

Human beings as chess pieces!!!  :o

It was a video where he was playing with a joystick just singing about his love of video games.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/08/19 at 7:27 am

It was a video where he was playing with a joystick just singing about his love of video games.

Videos made before the launch of MTV are rare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY
Herbie Hancock - Rockit

Someone posted that one on here before.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/19 at 1:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY

I guess this video was based on The 1920's and 1930's but in a way it's weird.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/08/19 at 7:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY

I guess this video was based on The 1920's and 1930's but in a way it's weird.

It was on one of those website lists I posted. I wonder what Gen Xers thought of it at the time. I was too young to see it on MTV.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/29/19 at 4:38 pm

I use to think this one was a bit on the weird side, lol.

tz2szRFTp60

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/03/19 at 12:37 am

8qrriKcwvlY

Here's a real WTF video! Timbuk 3 The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades.

Written By: fusefan on 11/03/19 at 1:18 am

8qrriKcwvlY

Here's a real WTF video! Timbuk 3 The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades.

Yeah, it looks like someone playing with an early version of MS Paint. I guess Timbuk 3 thought it looked cool at the time. You never know what looks cool now but will look primitive in 30+ years.

Written By: fusefan on 11/03/19 at 1:29 am

Actually, doing my research the graphics on the Timbuk 3 video was done on a Commodore Amiga.

Written By: randyripoff on 11/06/19 at 6:24 pm

I remember when this came out it was considered pretty high tech for the time.

5ewETr-jsxM

Written By: imrane on 12/23/19 at 3:23 pm

fUlcfF5Dnvc

The mannequins are slightly creepy. And is that Britney Spears at 3:11? :)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 7:52 pm

The Cars - You Might Think

3dOx510kyOs

I’ll never get the image of Rik Ocasek as a fly out of my mind.

RIP Rik Ocasek

Written By: violet_shy on 02/26/20 at 8:24 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3dOx510kyOs

RIP Rik Ocasek

It WAS weird, but as a kid it was fun to watch for some reason.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/20 at 7:06 am

3dOx510kyOs

RIP Rik Ocasek

Who was the woman in the video?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/20 at 7:08 am

Who was the woman in the video?
Wiki has it as model Susan Gallagher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Might_Think

Written By: imrane on 03/23/20 at 11:38 am

It's supposed to be weird/funny. You can also see where MC Hammer got the idea for his parachute pants - David wears them at the end of the video, so it seems he launched this fad:
ui-zBq-f5XA

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/24/20 at 11:46 am

It's supposed to be weird/funny. You can also see where MC Hammer got the idea for his parachute pants - David wears them at the end of the video, so it seems he launched this fad:

;D

Actually, I love this "Just A Gigolo" video, in a "rolling on the floor funny" kind of way.  I love how it parodies so many of our favorite 80's icons.  I never noticed the parachute pants until you just pointed them out...

Written By: Howard on 03/24/20 at 2:17 pm

;D

Actually, I love this "Just A Gigolo" video, in a "rolling on the floor funny" kind of way.  I love how it parodies so many of our favorite 80's icons.  I never noticed the parachute pants until you just pointed them out...

He probably had loads of fun being around those bikini girls.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/24/20 at 6:34 pm

Nu Shootz - I Can’t Wait

UJ1tBVtYOBc

Something creepy about how the lead singer is all alone and the washer door keeps going up without anyone opening it in the beginning of the video.

Check for new replies or respond here...