inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just an idea I got

Written By: OliverDK on 07/30/05 at 2:49 pm

I realize that this might sound a bit far out, but bare with me here; I was watching the two 70s movies "Westworld" and "Futureworld" here the other day, and it gave me an idea, that I wanna run by you people; imagine an amusement park that would allow you to take a vacation back to the 80s, a place where nothing designed or constructed post-1989 would be allowed through the gates.

I know it would be hard to pull off, but imagine that you arrive at 80s-world (Need a better name) on August 1st 2006, everything you see would match what happened on August 1st 1986, like if you turn on the tv in your suite and watch the news, the news of August 1st 1986 that is, and of cause the cinema down the street would show only the movies that would have been running on August 1st 1986.

Is this idea too far out or would anyone actually visit such an amusement park, I know I would but what I would like to is if I would be the only one.

OliverDK

Subject: Re: Just an idea I got

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/05 at 3:29 pm

Welcome to Fantasy Island.  :D

But who is willing to give up their cell phone and laptops?

Cat

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/30/05 at 4:27 pm

But who is willing to give up their cell phone and laptops?

Cat

Well, since I don't have either....where's the entrance? 8)

Written By: ADH13 on 07/30/05 at 5:23 pm

I had thought of a similar idea but I was thinking more like the 1890's instead of the 1980's.

But yeah, that would be cool... only problem I see is <gasp>

NO STARBUCKS!

Written By: Class of 84 on 07/30/05 at 6:30 pm

Sounds like a place I would spend the rest of my life in! Actually, sounds like it would be an attraction inside an amusement park.

Written By: OliverDK on 07/30/05 at 7:38 pm

Having given it a bit more thought I realize that amusement park might have been the wrong term, it really would be more like a holiday resort, kinda like the Stoneage Resort I've heard about in France and Hungary.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/06/05 at 9:22 pm

Welcome to Fantasy Island.  :D

Cat

Either an episode of "Fantasy Island" or the later 1990's sci-fi show, "Sliders" (oh, wait they did do an episode such as this on "Sliders" didn't they?  Remember Quinn and company going to an alternate Earth still stuck back in 1984?)  ;D 

Or perhaps we can give a call up to one of the crews of the "Star Trek" shows and they can do one of those time travel episodes (sling-shot effect, et al) and take us back to the 1980's (yeah, that's the ticket!)  ;) 

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/06/05 at 9:38 pm

Cool idea! I would go...westworld is one of my all time fave movies!..wasnt yul just the best badguy? yea..it would have to be a kinda resort thing..but it would be hard to NOT check my Email!..

Written By: JT1972 on 08/06/05 at 11:16 pm

When can I make a reservation??

We still have 80's theme parties. Just a couple of weeks ago a few friends came over dressed in acid wash jeans, neon shirts complete with big hair, blue eyeshadow and frosted pink lipstick! The 6 of us took a limo ride around the city for over an hour listening to 80's music. 

I think you're idea rocks!!!!!!!!

Written By: BCRichrocker on 08/06/05 at 11:23 pm

80s Cafe.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/05 at 11:14 am

Just don't add any killer robots to the park...  ::)

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/07/05 at 11:56 am

Yep, F*** cellphones, laptops, internet, Starbucks & all the other superfluous bullsh!t. I'm in, sound's like a great idea. Besides i really can't stand much from this era & the next person that annoyingly plays  with their phone right near me on the train to draw attention to themselves & their flashy new state of the art phone is gonna have me shove it right up their a** . Just an annoying fashion accesorie for the yuppie-esque population. If it's an urgent or important phonecall there's always a payphone. We survived without them before just fine. Besides even laptops & cellphones would have once been considered fantasy island stuff at one point. 

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 12:02 pm

;D  FUTUREWORLD is coming on right now on WGN...........yippie

Written By: kairi747 on 08/09/05 at 9:32 pm

i'd like to go now.  do you accept major credit cards?  ;)

Written By: robby76 on 08/09/05 at 10:08 pm

Someone had an idea like this on another board, but the idea was for a "Sitcom Amusement Park"... where you'd have things like the Three's Company Set, Happy Days diner, the Munster House etc. I suggested the Punky Brewster treehouse... a true 80's kids dream home...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/miester30/treehousesmall.jpg

Written By: Powerslave on 08/09/05 at 11:04 pm

I realize that this might sound a bit far out, but bare with me here; I was watching the two 70s movies "Westworld" and "Futureworld" here the other day, and it gave me an idea, that I wanna run by you people; imagine an amusement park that would allow you to take a vacation back to the 80s, a place where nothing designed or constructed post-1989 would be allowed through the gates.

I know it would be hard to pull off, but imagine that you arrive at 80s-world (Need a better name) on August 1st 2006, everything you see would match what happened on August 1st 1986, like if you turn on the tv in your suite and watch the news, the news of August 1st 1986 that is, and of cause the cinema down the street would show only the movies that would have been running on August 1st 1986.

Is this idea too far out or would anyone actually visit such an amusement park, I know I would but what I would like to is if I would be the only one.

OliverDK

What a cool idea. I don't know about restricting the films/TV/culture of the moment to a particular date though. Because, for example, if you went there in September 2005 and were "transported" back to 1985, you wouldn't be able to go see 'Return of the Jedi' at the movies and Slippery When Wet wouldn't have been released yet. :)

Written By: robby76 on 08/10/05 at 12:19 am

I agree, it has to be a bit more generic... show stuff from the whole era, you could do a lot if you ran films 24/7.

And just one more thing, can you get me a job there? Hell I'd work for free! We could have a staff commune  ;D

Written By: TC1970 on 08/10/05 at 6:28 am

Last weekend my town had a festival and the rides were from the 80's  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...