inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ideas For An 80s Themed Movie

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/31/05 at 12:31 am

In a quest to escape from the drudgery of a government job, I am trying to conjure up some ideas for a script I am thinking about writing for a movie, either set in the 80s or present day with the 80s as a backdrop. I would like to give you my 2 cents. One possible plot would be about class of '80- something high school grads who set-up a 20 year-reunion with an 80s theme. Only it doesn't turn out the way they all wanted. (Lack of attendees, true feelings, etc.) Another would be set in the 80s, about a nightclub that falls victim to Reaganomics. I would prefer it to be a drama, but a quirky comedy is okay too. Any suggestions? 

Subject: Re: Ideas For An 80s Themed Movie

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/05 at 1:28 am

In a quest to escape from the drudgery of a government job, I am trying to conjure up some ideas for a script I am thinking about writing for a movie, either set in the 80s or present day with the 80s as a backdrop. I would like to give you my 2 cents. One possible plot would be about class of '80- something high school grads who set-up a 20 year-reunion with an 80s theme. Only it doesn't turn out the way they all wanted. (Lack of attendees, true feelings, etc.) Another would be set in the 80s, about a nightclub that falls victim to Reaganomics. I would prefer it to be a drama, but a quirky comedy is okay too. Any suggestions?   
Think of the movies made and set at the time of 80s, such ET, Gremlins, Back To The Future (the 80s sequences) or any other of that time.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/01/05 at 6:47 pm

Sorry, Philip, but I don't think I'm going to be writing another 80s fantasy film. It just takes too much time and involves a lot of details. If I write any script, it'll be adult or teen in nature, most likely a drama or dark comedy, and won't involve any FX. I think 80s audiences have grown up to where they don't need another cookie cutter sci-fi pic set in the 80s. But I would like something that isn't an 80s rehash film. 
Think of the movies made and set at the time of 80s, such ET, Gremlins, Back To The Future (the 80s sequences) or any other of that time.

Written By: MarcDaShark on 08/01/05 at 10:09 pm

Your idea of the reunion is good but it reminds me just a little too much about Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion.  I know it's a different idea, but it's a bit too similar.

I had once thought of making a highschool flick based in the 80's.  I guess the premise would have something to do with a prom but I don't know where I'd go with it or how it's relevant to the 80's.  But I did think it would be cool to really emulate an 80's film by using some 80's equipment and stuff.  Just think of how 80's you could make the film look if you used an 80's camera, audio equipment, and such.  But you could still use today's editing equipment.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/01/05 at 10:18 pm

have you ever seen the movie "Flatliners"?

You might be able to do something sort of similar to that.. say someone who was in HS in the 80's and was a bully dies in a car accident and in order for him to go to heaven he has to go back and track down all the people he hurt and make it right?  You could use alot of flashbacks.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/01/05 at 10:49 pm

Almost sounds like The Butterfly Effect sort of.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/01/05 at 11:00 pm

Almost sounds like The Butterfly Effect sort of.

I haven't seen The Butterfly Effect...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/01/05 at 11:06 pm

I haven't seen The Butterfly Effect...

It's an ok film, even for an Ashton Kutcher film.  ::)  ;D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/02/05 at 5:26 am

You just want someone to give you an idea so you can rip it off? You must be suffering from a serious case of writers block. :D Are you serious about writing? I actually have a project I started that has an 80's element to it. I shelved it because I am working on something else. Have you ever thought of working with someone? I might be open to the idea, but wouldn't just let someone steal it. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/05 at 2:19 pm

Sorry, Philip, but I don't think I'm going to be writing another 80s fantasy film. It just takes too much time and involves a lot of details. If I write any script, it'll be adult or teen in nature, most likely a drama or dark comedy, and won't involve any FX. I think 80s audiences have grown up to where they don't need another cookie cutter sci-fi pic set in the 80s. But I would like something that isn't an 80s rehash film. 
I meant the period those film were set in, the fashion, language, decor, etc.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/02/05 at 8:01 pm

Maybe it would rip off Romy and Michelle. But that was a light comedy. The only thing dark about that film was Janeane Garafalo, and she wasn't nearly on that long. I'm thinking more on the lines from "The Big Chill" (think "The Anniversary Party" or "Magnolia" minus part of the angst) set in 2005. And more than likely there would be no happy ending (or at least an ambiguous one).   
Your idea of the reunion is good but it reminds me just a little too much about Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion.  I know it's a different idea, but it's a bit too similar.

I had once thought of making a highschool flick based in the 80's.  I guess the premise would have something to do with a prom but I don't know where I'd go with it or how it's relevant to the 80's.  But I did think it would be cool to really emulate an 80's film by using some 80's equipment and stuff.  Just think of how 80's you could make the film look if you used an 80's camera, audio equipment, and such.  But you could still use today's editing equipment.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/02/05 at 8:04 pm

I like that one, Odessey. I definitely like the flashbacks idea. (But to the rest of you, I don't see the relevance to "Flatliners", other than the Keifer Sutherland story.) 

have you ever seen the movie "Flatliners"?

You might be able to do something sort of similar to that.. say someone who was in HS in the 80's and was a bully dies in a car accident and in order for him to go to heaven he has to go back and track down all the people he hurt and make it right?   You could use alot of flashbacks.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/02/05 at 8:06 pm

Which is why I haven't written parodies in a while. ;)
I would have need a brief detailed synopsis of your project. Could you PM that for me, please?
You just want someone to give you an idea so you can rip it off? You must be suffering from a serious case of writers block. :D Are you serious about writing? I actually have a project I started that has an 80's element to it. I shelved it because I am working on something else. Have you ever thought of working with someone? I might be open to the idea, but wouldn't just let someone steal it. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/03/05 at 8:32 pm

I like that one, Odessey. I definitely like the flashbacks idea. (But to the rest of you, I don't see the relevance to "Flatliners", other than the Keifer Sutherland story.) 

yeah flatliners kinda gave me the idea but youre right, it's not really the same at all...  i was just thinking of when he had to go find that girl he had picked on

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/05/05 at 8:48 pm

You know Indy you still haven't addressed agoraphobicwhacko's question.  Are you serious about this being just your idea? -- I might be willing to lend a hand as well since I graduated high school in 1981 and have some knowledge of what I wanted back then and what actually happened to me and others (and both the whys and why nots -- my e-mail is cnbpjb@comcast.net if you are interested -- I have also always wanted to act -- and am wanting to go to a nearby acting studios here in Atlanta when I get a better more stable income job then I have right now as a temporary part-time file clerk).   

One thing I might be willing to suggest, but you better give me (Peter, not giving my last name some credit) is that you need to make sure your characters are as realistic as possible, that many have moved around a great deal, that the economy over time has changed things, medical science may have changed things, the events since then may have changed things, etc. for these characters and that not always the most popular students always get ahead or find the best lifes could also be a theme and that back then 40 may have seemed old, but now in many respects 40 is still considered quite young.  And also I would suggest (just one more) that you include what has happened with some of the adults (teachers, parents, school adminstrators and city leaders) since these teens were younger back in 1980 or 1981 or so.  (I have a feeling that the movie "Must Love Dogs" might not be a fluke as being a popular movie right now).  Also (one more suggestion), don't necessarily shy away from politics of these characters. 

Check for new replies or respond here...