inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's songs or bands you hated then but like now??

Written By: Gis on 08/01/05 at 3:21 am

This thought occured to me this weekend when I heard a Sisters of Mercy track.I hated them in the 80's (my brother was a big fan and played their stuff constantly at one point).Now I do like some of their 80's tracks.Are there any bands that you feel that way about ? 

Subject: Re: 80's songs or bands you hated then but like now??

Written By: ADH13 on 08/01/05 at 1:59 pm

I wasn't crazy about Madonna during the 80's... but now I like her older music.. she herself still irritates me though.

Written By: woops on 08/01/05 at 2:44 pm

Maybe anything Debbie Gibson...  ::)

My babysitter was a huge New Kids fan, who constantly played their junk...and still can't stand them to this day

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/01/05 at 5:44 pm

Debbie Gibson is an honorable mention (although, I'd admit I liked her in the 80's, too).

Some bands/artists I didn't like in the 80's but now appreciate more are:

Madonna (I liked her, but I had certain memories behind her music which made me not want to listen to it for awhile)
Wang Chung (I absolutely detested their songs/videos)
Peter Gabriel (although I really hated his music in the 80's, I am still only a half-hearted fan of his)
Dire Straits (my boyfriend is partly to blame for me starting to appreciate their stuff more)

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/01/05 at 11:54 pm

I remember Dire Straits "Private Investigations".... a song I didn't like back then (to put it mildly) :P
But with time I've grown to appreciate it and now I think it's absolutely brilliant. :) 8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/01/05 at 11:59 pm

I remember Dire Straits "Private Investigations".... a song I didn't like back then (to put it mildly) :P
But with time I've grown to appreciate it and now I think it's absolutely brilliant. :) 8)

I LOVE that song.. I always have to listen to it entirely when I'm driivng and hear it on the radio - great song!

Written By: Gis on 08/02/05 at 4:49 am

My favourite Dire Straits song is Romeo and Juliet. :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/02/05 at 1:39 pm

My favourite Dire Straits song is Romeo and Juliet. :)

Yeah, another great one.. :0)

Written By: Atari on 08/02/05 at 1:53 pm

I hated most 80s pop and new wave, as I was into Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, AC/DC, etc. But as I got older and the nostalgia bug hit me, I love all of that stuff now. In fact, my little iLO mp3 player has nothing but early 80s MTV pop and rock :)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 08/03/05 at 11:32 am

I didn't appreciate The Cure, back in the 80s, certainly do now.
I HATED Madonna's "Like A Prayer" when it was at no.1, love it now!
That's about all I can think of right now. 8)

Written By: nally on 08/03/05 at 10:46 pm

Bands/artists: I used to dislike Wham into the 90's but began to like them in the late 90's.

Songs: Not too many that I can think of right now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/03/05 at 10:52 pm

What does it generally sound like? jw

The only non Brothers in Arms hit I know of theirs is "Sultans of Swing" - catchy and just a bit of late 70s blues thrown in there too.

Speaking of the band, and the BIA album, I grew up loving the three hits (still do!) - "Money for Nothing", "Walk of Life" and "So Far Away", but the rest of the album is nothing like that - way more slow/jazzy - so I was kind of disappointed.

Of the hits, So Far Away is probably the closest to the rest of the album's sound, but that song is way catchier IMO.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/04/05 at 12:02 am

Slayer. I didn't like them then and still think they're over-rated, but I actually listen to them once in a while now.

Written By: banglebabe on 08/06/05 at 7:23 pm

Bon Jovi  and Bananarama

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 8:24 pm

Duran Duran

Wang Chung

Huey Lewis and the News

And also a few songs by Depeche Mode...as well as Spandau Ballet's TRUE...Sade's SMOOTH OPERATOR...David Lee Roth's cover of CALIFORNIA GIRLS...

Written By: rip_jeans on 08/07/05 at 8:26 pm

INXS

BON JOVI

REO SPEEDWAGON

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/08/05 at 9:13 pm

Count me in as one who couldn't stand, INXS, but later I grew to love them.  (Although I love their 1990's music over the stuff that was released in the 1980's).

One artist I noticed wasn't listed in the thread that I hated at the time, but later grew to love was Suzanne Vega (1987's "Luka" -- about the abused kid & 1990's "Tom's Diner"), I don't know must be how much I grew to love even more Tracey Chapman, Natalie Merchant & k.d. lang (who I did love at that time and still do) and then Vega came along to be loved by me later.

I also wasn't fond of heavy metal hair band Twisted Sister during the middle of the 1980's, but later grew to love (including their video of "We're Not Gonna Take It"). 

Written By: nally on 01/29/06 at 2:20 pm

Bands/artists: I used to dislike Wham into the 90's but began to like them in the late 90's.

Songs: Not too many that I can think of right now.

Update: I think I used to dislike Midnight Oil until the mid-to-late 90's.

Written By: Schillingfan on 01/29/06 at 5:53 pm

German singer Markus had a song called "Ich Will Spass" and whenever I would listen to the 30-second-sample, I used to hate the song, but it's now one of my favorites!

99 Luftballons has grown on me but I'm still not a big fan of Nena...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/29/06 at 8:03 pm

Human League, Animotion, Information Society, Level 42, Fine Young Cannibals, and Berlin were pretty cool too, all whom I listen to now!

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/06 at 8:56 pm

RUSH.  I hated Rush, and I still hate Rush, but atleast now, I can tolerate them without wanting to jump off a building ;D

I never used to like T'Pau.  "Heart and Soul" which at the time was all I knew them for, was quite overplayed and I got sick of it.  Then I discovered that they had another top 40 here in Canada with "China in Your Hand" so I gave it a listen and remembered how much I loved it, so I bought their greatest hits CD, and now I love "Heart and Soul" and all their other songs :)

Written By: Schillingfan on 01/30/06 at 1:11 pm

I used to not really give Curt Smith of Tears For Fears the light of day because I used to only see him as just the band member who really  didn't do much for songwriting contributions, but their 2005 album changed my thoughts of him contribution wise and now I like him better than I used to!

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/06 at 3:10 pm

I used to hate Poison, Bon Jovi, Scorpion, but now I listen to them quite a bit.  Sorry I still can't get through a Cheap Trick song though. :P

Written By: Abix on 02/02/06 at 1:52 am

I hated Madonna and MJ and Culture Club back then and any of the new wave bands.. as I was a 'metal head'. Now I can tolerate Culture Club, I admit MJ had some catchy tunes and I love Madonna circa  1985.  I still hate  Duran Duran and Flock of Seagulls though.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/06 at 3:33 pm

I should also mention "Cherish" by Kool & The Gang... that song really got on my nerves in the 80's... but I like it now. :)

Written By: lizjagger on 04/06/06 at 12:10 am

Well I don't like them but I remember hating that song "She drives me crazy" by Fine young cannibals when I was a kid, and when I heard it on the radio the other day, I found myself humming along to it ::)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 04/06/06 at 1:47 am

The Pet Shop Boys. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/06 at 1:50 am

I used to dislike Men at Work, becuase that one hit they had "Be Good Johnny" just drives me up the wall.  They have grown on me with their other great hits, but I still don;t like "Be Good Johnny"

Written By: Class of 84 on 04/06/06 at 6:07 pm

Although I didn't hate Cinderella in the 80's, I was just unfamiliar with them. They didn;t get much airplay in Ohio. But now I like listening to their stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...