inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Horror Icons

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/01/05 at 11:48 am

Just curious who made your blood run cold

Subject: Re: Horror Icons

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/01/05 at 12:24 pm

I chose Hellraiser cenobites because the rest have all become parodies of themselves & as for Freddy & Jason they're a bit of a joke now. That Freddy Vs Jason movie was the biggest pile of steaming turds i've ever seen. I paid nothing to see that so i can't get my money back, but i want that hour & a half of my life back. Mrs. Vorhees was scarier than Jason ver was & i thought Betsy Palmer played a totally convincing schizo. If you ask me though i think horror special effects man Tom Savini is a my favourite horror icon.
They're always taking good horror movies & trying to remake them or bring them into this era & make them totally lame as f*** just like everything else that's coming out now. Throw in a token black guy who throws around some urban slang  & is good with guns & throw in a crappy youth oriented soundtrack (something gay like Korn) & hopefully you'll rake in profits from a whole new generation of teens ready buy into it. Altough i am curious to see George A Romeros new Land Of The Dead movie. It better not be as crap as the Dawn Of The Dead remake were they tonned down the graphic voilence & there were no zombies eating intestines or anything as remotely graphic. 70s & early 80s was no holds bared when it came to graphic violence & there was no emphasis on trying to make the movies trendy or slick, all the emphasis was on purely making just a horror film & nothing else. F***k soundtracks & a supposedly "cool" teenage cast.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/01/05 at 12:33 pm

I chose Freddy because of how he looked and what he did....Jason never really scared me that much, he always hit a soft spot with me, I always felt bad for him, being the brunt of people's jokes...on the other hand, Freddy was just a sick F***. Oh well..I am reading way too much into this! LOL!

Erin :)

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/01/05 at 12:42 pm

I guess he was pretty creepy & menacing in the first 2 films. Then they decided to turn him into a wise guy in the 3rd one. Even though i liked Dream Warriors & thought it was great i think Freddy lost his edge at that point.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/01/05 at 1:33 pm

Freddy.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/05 at 5:44 pm

Jason Vorhees

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/01/05 at 6:50 pm

Actually, I thought the Tall Man from the "Phantasm" movies was frightning, but I chose the Cenobites.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/01/05 at 11:29 pm

Right on Indy Gent. Clive Barker was definatly a bit more imaginative than his counterparts & come on Pinhead was 100 times meaner than Freddy or Jason put together & made them look like chior boys. Honestly there was nothing even remotely scary about Jason, but his mum gave me the creeps. He was at his best & creepiest in part 2 when he had the sack over his head & even then it wasn't scary compared to his creepy schizo of a mum. After part 2 it all went downhill & the rest were sh!t & the hockey mask was soooooooo lame. The only thing that saved part 3 was the fact it was released in 3D when it came out in the theatre & take that away from it on the video & DVD release & it's a very crappy movie.
To be honest Micheal Myers is creepier than both Jason & Freddy. That William Shatner mask painted white was a briliant touch & it looked wierd & ghostly. The Halloween movies were a bit tame for my liking though, but if i were to chose one  i'd say part 2 was the the best. It was a continuation of the first but a little less tame.  It's a "very rare" occurance for me to say that a sequel was better than the original especially when it comes to horror.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/02/05 at 9:09 am

Maybe because I saw the original very very young, Michael Myers scared the crap out of me. He seemed to have a mission where the others killed randomly and that chilled me to the bone. Michael was always very cold and calculating.  I thought Freddy was creepy in the original but he became too campy and fun. Pinhead was always way too majestic and regal-he was the epitome of cool to me  ;) But the Chatterer cenobite spooked me quite a bit. Jason made me uneasy but having met Kane Hodder a couple times, he no longer bothers me. Kane is one cool dude!

Great one Indy Gent! The Tall Man was way creepy! I didn't think to put him in.

Completely agree with you Cafe 80's....Freddy vs. Jason was the biggest piece of crap-but I had a very large chip on my shoulder with that from the start since they refused to hire Kane to play Jason for it.

LOL! I remember not long after the original Friday the 13th came out, there was a bit in the paper that Betsy Palmer was mugged in NYC. Thought to myself  "OMG! Jason's mom was mugged...that takes 'nads! I'd be afraid of her!" She was perfect in that role.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/02/05 at 9:18 am

Right on Indy Gent. Clive Barker was definatly a bit more imaginative than his counterparts & come on Pinhead was 100 times meaner than Freddy or Jason put together & made them look like chior boys.

Do you read his books? Clive was my favorite author. His style of writing was fantastic but when he moved to America I lost it....I couldn't get into his books, found he went from painting with words to just being overly wordy. Still never finished Imajica and haven't read a thing of his since that. Thought he was brilliant with the Cenobites tho-they were very disturbing to look at back then.

Totally agree with you on the remakes too. Buddy of mine and I are optimistic on Romero's Land of the Dead. Just praying he doesn't soften his style and cave in to political correctness. All these remakes being done and flooding the PG-13 market are sickening.

You sure we're not related by blood dude?  ;D We're on the same brain wave with this stuff!

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/02/05 at 10:57 am

I have Clive Barker's Books Of Blood 1,2,4,5 & 6 & Hellbound Heart (which the Hellraiser movie is based on) all in the form of document files on my PC. If you want them i can email them to you.
Yeah i'm a die hard fan of old school horror. I've been told my old horror collection is second to none & they are all the original large cover ex-rental VHS versions with original cover art except for my Nightmare On Elm Street boxset (which i also have all the origal VHS versions up to Freddy's Dead) & my Friday The 13th part 3 in 3D dvd i bought off ebay. I still have yet to find a pair of sequential field 3D glasses for that one. Some of my VHSs i have a few different versions of the same movie but most of them are all Australian release except for Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (banned in Australia) & Friday The 13th part 4 which was very censored in Australia so i had a US version shipped over in the early 90s before DVDs came out. Now the Australian DVD version of part 4 is the same as the US VHS version i have. I even have a rare & now out of print video called Sceam Greats Volume 1 which is a horror special effects documentary about Tom Savini which shows how they did the special effects to Dawn Of The Dead & Friday The 13th Part 4 among other films. It was through this documentary that i realised that the Aus version of Fri 13th part 4 was cut & didn't have the full Jason death at the end where he slides on the blade. After seeing that documentary i was on a mission to get a more uncut US version back then. 

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/02/05 at 11:58 am

OK i'll attempt to list my horror collection:
*Nightmare On Elm Street DVD Boxset
*Nightmare On Elm Street 1 - original 1985 CBS Fox big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 1 - 1990 CBS Fox big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 2 - original 1986 Warner Bros big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 3 - original 1987 Warner Bros big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 4 - original 1988 CBS Fox big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 5 - original 1989 RCA Columbia big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 6 - original 1991 Columbia Tri Star/Hoyts big gatefold cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Friday The 13th 1 - original uncut 1980 Warner Bros big cover rental VHS with orignal Aus cover art with girl in boat
*Friday The 13th 1 - cut 1990 Warner Bros big cover rental VHS with cover art of axe in pillow
*Friday The 13th 2 - original 1981 CIC/Paramount rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 3 - original 1982 CIC/Paramount rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 3 in 3D - bootleg DVD bought off ebay
*Friday The 13th 4 - original cut Aus 1984 CIC/Paramount rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 4 - original uncut US 1984 Paramount rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 5 - original 1985 CIC/Paramount big cover rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 6 - original 1986 CIC/Paramount big cover rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 7 - original 1987 CIC/Paramount big cover rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 8 - original 1986 CIC/Paramount big cover rental VHS with original cover art
*Texas Chainsaw Massacre - original early 80s Filmways VTC big cover rental VHS with original cover photo of girl on hook
*Texas Chainsaw Massacre - late 80s/early 90s Filmways VTC big cover rental VHS with cover art of cartoon picture of letherface with body at feet.
*Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 -original US version 1986 Media/Cannon rental VHS with original cover photo of family
Hellraiser - original 1987 Roadshow Aus graphic uncut version big cover rental VHS with original cover photo
Hellbound Hellraiser - original 1988 Roadshow special double cassete cover rental VHS with Hellraiser 1 & 2
OK this will take too long, but you get the basic idea. Other movies i have the original rental VHS versions of are:
*Halloween 1 to 5
*Exorcist (original with no added digital footage)
*The Burning
*Maniac
*Madman
*The Hills Have Eyes
*House By The Cemetary
*Demons 1 & 2
*Susperia
*Evil Dead 1 & 2
*Psycho 1 to 4
*Slaughter High
*Poltergiest 1 & 2
*Clownhouse
*Gate 1 & 2
*Trick Or Treat
*Shocker
*House 1,2 & 3
*Creepshow 1 & 2
*Return Of The Living Dead 1 & 2
*Night Of The Living Dead (techni color version)
*Night Of The Living Dead (1990 remake)
*Dawn Of The Dead
*Day Of The Dead
*Basket Case
I'd better stop there because there is more & it's just too many to list. Does that qualify as die hard?

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/02/05 at 5:08 pm

;D If we ever got together with a case of beer and all those movies....we'd have a good weekend! I'd say you've got a pretty die-hard collection there. Suspiria...unrated version? I love that movie. Argento had some of the best, most twisted movies ever.  Have to add Inferno (part 2 of the Suspiria trilogy) and Tenebre (final chapter of the trilogy) tho I don't see how Tenebre relates to the first two...it's just a twisted slasher film. House By the Cemetery rocked! Was pretty good atmosphere in that even tho the acting sucked. You gotta get Gates of Hell dude! There was some pretty sick stuff in that one-get it and then remind me to tell you about the car scene with the girl who cries blood.

Hey, maybe you never saw it but there was a small movie released in '85 (I think), Killer Party. It was a pretty bad demonic possession rip off about a sorority who initiates members in this house that a few people were killed in. Definitely a B movie but it was cool....ever see it? I have to see if I can find that one again.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/02/05 at 6:46 pm

Freddy Kruger with Michael Myers a veeeeery close second.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/02/05 at 7:36 pm

OK i'll attempt to list my horror collection:
*Nightmare On Elm Street DVD Boxset
*Nightmare On Elm Street 1 - original 1985 CBS Fox big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 1 - 1990 CBS Fox big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 2 - original 1986 Warner Bros big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 3 - original 1987 Warner Bros big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 4 - original 1988 CBS Fox big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 5 - original 1989 RCA Columbia big cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Nightmare On Elm Street 6 - original 1991 Columbia Tri Star/Hoyts big gatefold cover rental VHS with orignal cover art
*Friday The 13th 1 - original uncut 1980 Warner Bros big cover rental VHS with orignal Aus cover art with girl in boat
*Friday The 13th 1 - cut 1990 Warner Bros big cover rental VHS with cover art of axe in pillow
*Friday The 13th 2 - original 1981 CIC/Paramount rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 3 - original 1982 CIC/Paramount rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 3 in 3D - bootleg DVD bought off ebay
*Friday The 13th 4 - original cut Aus 1984 CIC/Paramount rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 4 - original uncut US 1984 Paramount rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 5 - original 1985 CIC/Paramount big cover rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 6 - original 1986 CIC/Paramount big cover rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 7 - original 1987 CIC/Paramount big cover rental VHS with original cover art
*Friday The 13th 8 - original 1986 CIC/Paramount big cover rental VHS with original cover art
*Texas Chainsaw Massacre - original early 80s Filmways VTC big cover rental VHS with original cover photo of girl on hook
*Texas Chainsaw Massacre - late 80s/early 90s Filmways VTC big cover rental VHS with cover art of cartoon picture of letherface with body at feet.
*Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 -original US version 1986 Media/Cannon rental VHS with original cover photo of family
Hellraiser - original 1987 Roadshow Aus graphic uncut version big cover rental VHS with original cover photo
Hellbound Hellraiser - original 1988 Roadshow special double cassete cover rental VHS with Hellraiser 1 & 2
OK this will take too long, but you get the basic idea. Other movies i have the original rental VHS versions of are:
*Halloween 1 to 5
*Exorcist (original with no added digital footage)
*The Burning
*Maniac
*Madman
*The Hills Have Eyes
*House By The Cemetary
*Demons 1 & 2
*Susperia
*Evil Dead 1 & 2
*Psycho 1 to 4
*Slaughter High
*Poltergiest 1 & 2
*Clownhouse
*Gate 1 & 2
*Trick Or Treat
*Shocker
*House 1,2 & 3
*Creepshow 1 & 2
*Return Of The Living Dead 1 & 2
*Night Of The Living Dead (techni color version)
*Night Of The Living Dead (1990 remake)
*Dawn Of The Dead
*Day Of The Dead
*Basket Case
I'd better stop there because there is more & it's just too many to list. Does that qualify as die hard?

:o

Written By: Powerslave on 08/03/05 at 2:36 am

Tenebrae isn't part of the "Three Mothers" series. The third film of the series hasn't yet been developed.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/03/05 at 7:23 am

other - Chucky

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/03/05 at 11:11 am

Chucky wasn't scary  ::)

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/03/05 at 2:20 pm

Tenebrae isn't part of the "Three Mothers" series. The third film of the series hasn't yet been developed.

I thought Argento said on the bonus disc of Suspiria (?) that it was but you are right, my mistake. Was hard to follow some of the talk since a lot of it was interpreted.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/04/05 at 12:00 am

Suspiria (?)

:) The movie is spelled 'Susperia'. Suspiria with an I is a Norwegian heavy metal band. ;)

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/04/05 at 5:05 am

:) The movie is spelled 'Susperia'. Suspiria with an I is a Norwegian heavy metal band. ;)

It might be spelled with an "e" in Europe, but in the US, it has always been spelled with an "i".

Written By: TC1970 on 08/04/05 at 7:05 am

Hellrasier Cenobites :o

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/04/05 at 7:35 am

Hellrasier Cenobites :o

Do they still spook you? I've gotten used to them but Chatterer is still one I'd not want to unlock with my Lament Configuration. It was cool to see them all in Nightbreed with somewhat normal looking faces. All but the female Cenobite were in Nightbreed.

Written By: robby76 on 08/04/05 at 8:23 am

Michael Myers... the first Halloween 1978 is the ONLY horror movie I'd class as a firm favourite in my all-time fave films. He even scared me in broad daylight in between the billowing laundry in the garden... who else could do that!

And... horror films have to be realistic and they have to have that "it could happen to you" storyline. Seeing Freddy only in your dreams, a psycho doll and a guy with multiple pins in his head are just fantasy.

Plus nothing beats the late 70's feel of Halloween... what an era!

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/04/05 at 10:35 am

I don't know, although i agree that Micheal is a bit more eerie & menacing than Freddy, to be honest i never found Halloween or Micheal even remotely scary & i saw it first as a little kid. Personally i never did like the first Halloween, i remember thinking it was crap & disappointing when i first saw it. I prefered part 2 because it had a little more visable blood & there was a bit more activity & it was less situated in just those couple of houses & that one street. Plus Micheal gave off a feeling of being slightly more aggressive & less lifeless in the second. The first one seemed really fake, people are getting stabbed & there was barely any blood to be seen. Too tame for my liking, even Hitchcock's  Psycho was bloodier than Halloween. Besides anything you'd miss by not seeing the first is revised for the viewer in the second. I do  agree that nothing beats that late 70s feel when it comes to horror, but unfortunatly Halloween was just too tame & mainstream & the sort of thing that would only scare little children, the boogeyman?  ::). I quote Pinhead when i say "such a limited imagination". On the other hand though i saw Hellraiser at the cynical  "i'm not scared of anything" age of 13 & i still found it disturbing & twisted as hell.

Written By: robby76 on 08/04/05 at 10:56 am

Okay maybe Halloween is a little tame but it did leave more to the imagination, either way I kinda like easy going films... you're talking to a guy who loves Punky Brewster!  ;D

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/04/05 at 11:50 am

:) hey nothing wrong with that, i love Punky Brewster aswell :). Have you seen her these days  :o mmmmmm mmmmmm.
Anyhow it's all good i just love these discussions & debates. I guess it's hard to argue with a rabid hardcore horror fan as diehard & as opinionated & stuborn as myself  ;D.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/04/05 at 12:04 pm

It might be spelled with an "e" in Europe, but in the US, it has always been spelled with an "i".

Oh well, one of them is correct. :)

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/04/05 at 12:43 pm

Yeah MetalManiac is right i've got the old ex-rental Australia version from 1981 & it's spelled Suspiria on the front cover & the cassette label.
BTW MetalManiac, mine's not the unrated version. It's the original big cover rental version that would have come out first in video libraries before the sell through versions ever went on sale, so mine is the R rated version. Not that the sell through version or any version in Australia would have been unrated because our cencorship laws over here were super tight in the 80s. Suprisingly though Australia was the only country in the world to release Friday The 13th Part 1 on rental videos totally uncut in 1980. Every other release of Friday The 13th Part 1 after 1980 in Australia with a different front cover from the original release were all cut versions.

Check for new replies or respond here...