inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV 24th B'day

Written By: Ashley Tisdale's A Cutie on 08/01/05 at 2:30 pm

Anything you remember...

When it was all good until it's downfall in 1997.

Subject: Re: MTV 24th B'day

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/01/05 at 4:11 pm

Finally getting to see my favourites. I think the strangest thing I can recount is when it first started, we'd watch it we'd be sitting there with cans of Pepsi rockin' out to the Scorps or Ratt or Quiet Riot to its latter days when buddies and I would be over someone's house for Headbangers ball and we'd be totally wrecked...beer and JD in abundant supply, being stupid and just having a great time. Man, those were the days that 3 beers would have the room spinning for me  ;D  Aaahhhh, those were the days. Especially when someone's mother or father would come running down to yell at us for haivng it too loud.

I also remember tuning in to see Nina Blackwood...thought she was the best. Tho it was fun to see Martha Quinn show  up in a Full Moon movie (B-horror movies of the 90's) or two.

Wonder if we could petition them to go back to the good old days for their 25th Anniversary?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/05 at 12:05 am

Wonder if we could petition them to go back to the good old days for their 25th Anniversary?

I'd be all for that! :)

I didn't watch music video channels much until about late 1990, and it was VH1 more of the time. I do remember a bit of early MTV though - when I'd see it at people's houses. My parents watched it on occasion too. From all I know about the early days, I'd give anything to see that stuff "live"--it all looked so much fun.

When I hear "Video Killed the Radio Star" I get really nostalgic, even though I don't remember the song itself. I always get the feeling we're standing on the edge of a huge cultural revolution about to sweep us - reflectively looking to the past, but anticipating what will soon be the future.

I like the line "I heard you on the wireless back in '52, lying awake intent to tuning in on you." Since that came out in 1979, in only 4 more years, it'll be like us saying the same thing about 1982! :D

I also watched MTV in the 90's a bit, mostly for shows like Beavis & Butthead and the occasional alternative rock/pop videos (they also still aired some 80's stuff then too, so it was a good mix), but after 1996/97 I stopped paying attention.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 08/02/05 at 6:15 am

My sister's and I watch MTV from 6:00a.m. till 1:30a.m. I really miss the way it used to be.. :\'( I remember almost everything.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/02/05 at 9:55 am

It's 24?  Dear sweet James Brown, I'm getting old.....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Atari on 08/02/05 at 2:10 pm

*sigh*

I sure miss the first three years of MTV. They were a total revelation. I loved staying up on Saturday nights with my little tape recorder, recording the concerts that they played. April Wine, Journey, Billy Squier, Sammy Hagar, Rush, etc.

What the hell happened to rock n roll?  >:(

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/02/05 at 4:46 pm

*sigh*

I sure miss the first three years of MTV. They were a total revelation. I loved staying up on Saturday nights with my little tape recorder, recording the concerts that they played. April Wine, Journey, Billy Squier, Sammy Hagar, Rush, etc.

What the hell happened to rock n roll?  >:(

;D I wasn't the only one doing that? And if someone flushed the toilet or the dog barked it's right there on the tape  :) Cool!

I think rock & roll got too dang PC and was afraid to offend anymore and that was its downfall

Check for new replies or respond here...