inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: nightclubs of the eighties

Written By: jamtart6 on 08/02/05 at 11:52 am

What were the the best nightclubs of the eighties in London??? and does anyone remember the name of the extremely trendy club near Covent Garden where Bands of the day
like Spandau Ballet started  their career??????

Subject: Re: nightclubs of the eighties

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/02/05 at 12:30 pm

Rent a movie called 24 Hour Party People. It documents the founder of the record label that Joy Division/New Order & other bands were signed to. He also started a night club which was one of the trendiest & biggest clubs in England at the time & it also later pioneered what unfortunatly became the rave scene. It might even be the club you are talking about, but i'm not sure i saw this movie a while ago.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/02/05 at 4:58 pm

What were the the best nightclubs of the eighties in London??? and does anyone remember the name of the extremely trendy club near Covent Garden where Bands of the day
like Spandau Ballet started  their career??????

I'm not British so I probably shouldn't answer this but one of the most important clubs in London was The Marquee. In the 80's, it was the place new bands broke. British synth pop/New Wave to rock. The Marquee is  legendary as is our very on CBGB's in New York City.

If I'm not mistaken, Depeche Mode got their start at the Marquee so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where Spandau Ballet began boiling the stew either. Marillion was another who played there frequently in their early days.

Written By: shore girl 1986 on 08/14/05 at 8:46 am

I'm not British so I probably shouldn't answer this but one of the most important clubs in London was The Marquee. In the 80's, it was the place new bands broke. British synth pop/New Wave to rock. The Marquee is  legendary as is our very on CBGB's in New York City.

If you were in the New York area and into metal in the eighties the place to be was Lamours in Brooklyn.  To those who were there, I need not say more!!

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 08/14/05 at 11:44 am

Rent a movie called 24 Hour Party People. It documents the founder of the record label that Joy Division/New Order & other bands were signed to. He also started a night club which was one of the trendiest & biggest clubs in England at the time & it also later pioneered what unfortunatly became the rave scene. It might even be the club you are talking about, but i'm not sure i saw this movie a while ago.

I believe that was the Hacienda club in Manchester

Written By: Gis on 08/15/05 at 1:38 am

I only went to The Marquee Club, The Astoria,Break for the Border and the Electric Ballroom at Hammersmith as I was into glam metal.
Sadly all bar the Astoria are gone now............. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/05 at 1:46 am

I only went to The Marquee Club, The Astoria,Break for the Border and the Electric Ballroom at Hammersmith as I was into glam metal.
Sadly all bar the Astoria are gone now............. :(
Where was the Electric Ballroom at Hammersmith, was it one of the many other names of the Hammersmith Palais?

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/16/05 at 10:53 am

I believe that was the Hacienda club in Manchester

Yep that's right. Thanks, you jogged my memory. 

Check for new replies or respond here...