inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's your thoughts on Rap in the 80's?

Written By: makdafi on 08/04/05 at 12:10 pm

As a rap fan of the 80's I just thought I'd ask this question, I like some rap of today, but overall I like the 80's rap scene more, so many great joints.

Subject: Re: What's your thoughts on Rap in the 80's?

Written By: ADH13 on 08/04/05 at 12:19 pm

As a rap fan of the 80's I just thought I'd ask this question, I like some rap of today, but overall I like the 80's rap scene more, so many great joints.

I've never really been into rap at all.  Although "Goin Back to Cali" and "Supersonic" were the most popular that I can remember from the 80's.. and they were tolerable.  Not anything I would have gone out of my way to listen to, but they weren't too bad.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/04/05 at 12:21 pm

A lot better than what's out there now. I also used to think breakdancing was pretty cool.

Written By: MarcDaShark on 08/04/05 at 1:17 pm

Rap/Hip-hop from the 80's was awesome.  Sugarhill Gang, Afrika Bambaataa, Cybotron, Newcleus, Run-DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy, and NWA all have some great stuff.

I don't like the women-hating songs from NWA, though.  I don't like it when music spreads hate towards groups.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/05 at 2:46 pm

I'm from the old school and I'd say that Rap in the 1980's were most definitely much better than Rap of today. :P

Written By: MarcDaShark on 08/04/05 at 4:46 pm

I feel that 80's rap was somewhat more original.  I know that not all of today's rap always talks about these, but it seems that today's rap has too much bragging, bling/money talk, sex talk, etc.  The beats can also be very repetative at times.

Written By: Acidpiss on 08/04/05 at 5:55 pm

C'mon guys: The Fat Boys, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Dj Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, The Beastie Boys, LL Cool J - there's no f'n comparison. Today's stuff just plain blows compared to the old school stuff.

I'm the King of Rock.
There is none higher.
Sucker MCs should call me "Sire".

- Rob

Written By: Triviamom on 08/04/05 at 8:16 pm

Loved, Loved, LOVED Run-DMC. They were like the EWF of rap. No negativity, just doing their thing without the cussing and crap.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/05/05 at 9:06 am

I didn't care for it in the 80's although I did love the breakdancing when that began to show up on the streets. At least it was listenable back then. Can't stomach it now.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/05 at 2:37 pm

Back then Rap was cool.Today it's hard to stomach it these days.It makes me nauseous. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/05 at 2:40 pm

There was less expletives back then!

Written By: Howard on 08/05/05 at 2:44 pm

There was less expletives back then!

I agree with you there Phil.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/05/05 at 6:40 pm

Back then Rap was cool.Today it's hard to stomach it these days.It makes me nauseous. :P

The manner with which a lot of it regards women is absolutely disgusting. I laugh when I hear people complain how misogynistic metal was when I hear the atrocious crap they rattle on about in rap.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/05/05 at 11:50 pm

I agree, rap was better back then.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/06/05 at 12:41 am

I don't really like rap of any kind, but old school rap is much more tolerable than the new stuff...

Written By: rip_jeans on 08/09/05 at 12:01 am

Although rap artists in the 80's generally had only 1 or 2 hits, they are classics and can be heard on many radio stations today who play 80's music. They were also a couple of good ones in the very early 90's as well.

JJ Fad
Tone Loc
2 Live Crew
Grandmaster Flash
Rob Base
Digital Underground
Young MC
MC Hammer
Beastie Boys
Run DMC
LL Cool J
Snoop Dog (just some)
Doctor Dre(just some)
Coolio (Fantastic Voyage)
Biz Markie (Just A Friend)
Sir Mix A Lot (Baby Got Back)
Luniz (I Got 5 On It)
MC Breed (Aint No Future In Yo' Frontin)
N2Deep (Back To The Hotel)

Do not like: Public Enemy, NWA, todays rap

Written By: smurfette 101 on 08/09/05 at 10:41 am

i liked the beastie boys and mc hammer, and the funky cold madina, i forgot what his name was, and their is lots more.... oh and babys got back,  8)

Written By: Mushroom on 08/09/05 at 11:06 am

i liked the beastie boys and mc hammer, and the funky cold madina, i forgot what his name was, and their is lots more.... oh and babys got back,   8)

That was Tone Loc baby, Tone Loc!  If you have not played Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, they have a character named "OG Loc", who is like the worst rap artist ever.  I wonder where they got that name from?  8)

Actually, one of my fave songs from the time was "The Rapping Duke".  And there was a novelty in 1985 called "Hambo - First Rap Part II", which showed how horrible Sly would be if he took up music. 

Written By: Howard on 08/09/05 at 3:46 pm

Back In the 80's,All the new rap artists of today were just starting or were little kids in the 80's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:45 am

This topic has been dead 120 days  ;D

I like some '80s rap, but most of it is pretty stupid  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...