inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rescue 911

Written By: star500 on 08/04/05 at 1:49 pm

Did anyone ever watch the show Rescue 911? It was a good show, I remember watching it with my mom when I was little. The one that scared me the most was one with this kid running around in the kitchen and he bumps into the cord of the kettle that was on the counter and the kettle fell over, dumping scalding hot water all over the kid  :o  :-\\ Ever since then, until I was a teenager, my mom kept me out of the kitchen when she was cooking  ;D

Subject: Re: Rescue 911

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/04/05 at 2:22 pm

Two words:

William Shatner!

So, yes - I remember it. Used to watch it regularly (although of course the ones we got to see here in The Netherlands were relatively old episodes.). I liked it mostly because there would always be a happy ending  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/05 at 2:57 pm

Glad to see a topic about this (I was thinking of doing one myself!).

Yeah, I watched and taped alot of episodes in the 1994-early 97 time frame. Since I like cop shows and Unsolved Mysteries, I also tended to prefer the police chase, or highway/road-type ones, but in all honesty I liked everything. It was entertaining, it also still makes me a little more aware of what to do in situations like that.

Occasionally they would throw a curveball in there where someone actually died (eg: this one 15 year old who did a drug overdose I recall) in a really serious situation - probably just as a lesson learner. But more often than not, I was 99% sure the people were gonna live, so that made it a little less sad/scary overall.

Oh and yeah, I quite liked William Shatner's narration - easygoing and serious at the same time! ;)

PS: Does anyone know if this is still aired (it's not in my cable listings)? I'd love to see/tape some of them again.

Written By: star500 on 08/04/05 at 4:14 pm

Glad to see a topic about this (I was thinking of doing one myself!).

Yeah, I watched and taped alot of episodes in the 1994-early 97 time frame. Since I like cop shows and Unsolved Mysteries, I also tended to prefer the police chase, or highway/road-type ones, but in all honesty I liked everything. It was entertaining, it also still makes me a little more aware of what to do in situations like that.

Occasionally they would throw a curveball in there where someone actually died (eg: this one 15 year old who did a drug overdose I recall) in a really serious situation - probably just as a lesson learner. But more often than not, I was 99% sure the people were gonna live, so that made it a little less sad/scary overall.

Oh and yeah, I quite liked William Shatner's narration - easygoing and serious at the same time! ;)

PS: Does anyone know if this is still aired (it's not in my cable listings)? I'd love to see/tape some of them again.

I can tell you right now, Marty it doesn't air in Canada (that's where I'm from) although I wish it did, I haven't watched the show since I was 8 or 9. I would love to see it in reruns and maybe it is. You should try checking all the Discovery Channels (esp. Health)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/05 at 4:37 pm

^ Cool, thanks. I'm in San Jose and, as far as I know the San Francisco Bay Area doesn't get any of those channels.

We get basic cable, but I'd be willing to spring for more to get the extended channels (VH1 Classic as well!).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/04/05 at 9:39 pm

It wasn't as good as America's Most Wanted or Unsolved Mysteries, it was ok... However I prefer...

http://www.tvatlas.com/store_assets/eoc/productImages/EMI/CAS/024543096139X.jpg

Some of the criminals on the show are kind of funny to watch!  ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 08/05/05 at 4:20 am

The thing I remember about Rescue 911 being shown here in Australia was that Shatner would remind us all that, in Australia, you have to dial 000 to report an emergency. Apparently, after this show went to air, people had tried to call emergency services on 911, which doesn't work here.  ::)

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/05/05 at 8:55 am

I loved all those shows. Unsolved Mysteries, Rescue 911, Cops, also,  was a my all-time favourite though.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 8:43 pm

The Rescue 911 episode that still stands out in my mind is the one with the kid who inhaled butane..and came out alive but with brain damage...and the recovery he made.

Another episode was a man having a heart attack during a Civil War re-enactment. I still remember the victim's name was 'Burt'..

They also showed the New Zealand tanker truck accident where the little girl was pinned underneath...

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/06/05 at 9:30 pm

Wasnt that the show where in one episode-REINACTMENT- that a little kid was running down the hall while brushing his teeth and fell,lodging the toothbrush in his throat?? That freaked me out soo bad..my daughter isnt allowed to MOVE while she brushes...aaarrggg

Check for new replies or respond here...