inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's movies

Written By: Beth on 08/06/05 at 10:55 am

Anyone know of any 80's movie titles you like to share and what your take of what how you'd rate it or suggest to others to see. well post back soon

Subject: Re: 80's movies

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/06/05 at 2:59 pm

I would pick 'The Burning'. It's the best slasher movie of all time. It has truly stood the test of time. its just as creepy now as it was back then.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/06/05 at 3:21 pm

Check out The Dark Crystal, it's a good film.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/06/05 at 8:13 pm

Call me crazy but I love "Fast times at Ridgemont high"..I was the female "Spicoli"..had the checkered VANS..and the Sexwax t-shirt...rolled outta the van at school..after tokin a few..that movie was great..saw it about a million times..ev high school had all the same pple..the wanna be pat benatar chick..the stoners..the nerd ..the cheesy scalper guy..hot chick.( phoebe..whats her name? ) i remember it all and love it..my high school....20TH!!! reunion was this summer..what a trip..the cheesy guy is now fat and bald..and the hot chick is also fat and NO WHERE near hot!..it was great to see them all..

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 8:33 pm

GHOSTBUSTERS!!

I've seen it gawd knows how many times...and I still like it!

"I've Been Slimed!"..even Slimer was kinda cute.

and how about Prince's
PURPLE RAIN....great soundtrack album too.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 8:36 pm

The Breakfast Club...especially the bad boy (Emilio Estevez?)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/06/05 at 9:22 pm

OOHHH YEA..Breakfast Club!!!  The bad boy was Judd Nelson...I woulda givin him my diamond earring too!! love that movie..know every word...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/06/05 at 10:41 pm

Gremlins is also a good film too.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/06/05 at 10:52 pm

I like Back to the Future and Flight of the Navigator.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/07/05 at 12:42 pm

I would pick 'The Burning'. It's the best slasher movie of all time. It has truly stood the test of time. its just as creepy now as it was back then.

I have the Australian original 80s old rental VHS version of The Burning, but the raft scene is pretty badly cut from what i've seen in my Tom Savini special effects documentary called Scream Greats Volume 1 (rare & out of print now). What's it like in the U.S. or is it cut over there aswell? for those who haven't seen it, there's a very very young Jason Alexander in it, & yes he has hair.
Anyhow back to the topic. As for my movie pick i'd go with Trick Or Treat. It's cheesy but if you're into metal, hair bands or just rock & you grew up in the 80s (or not) this is the ultimate must see rock flick of all time. Or just sit your kids down & force them (at gunpoint if neccesary) to take a fun & tacky history lesson & educate them on rock n roll & metal 80s style the way it was meant to be, when only rastas & black dudes had dreadlocks & baggy jeans & facial piercings were only worn by those who frequented fetish & sex shops.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/07/05 at 3:34 pm

I seen The Burning a couple of years ago. It was uncut. They showed the raft scene in its entirety. You should track it down if you can. I recommend this film to anyone who has never seen it.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 5:26 pm

:D  I cant remember The Burning but I remember one scary movie with a reall coool raft scene..gory!! i cant remember the name, maybe one of those tales fron the crypt movies, some kids got trapped on a wooden raft thing in the middle of a lake and this blob thing in the water gets up in a crack and pulls this guys leg through and it snaps straight up...really awsome....

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 5:36 pm

8)    Oh Yea..CAFE80s..Ive seen Trick or Treat..great flick...I was and still am a rocker and that movie was cool...Does anyone remember that old movie with Tom Selleck.. where hes the cop and Gene Simmons was the most excellent bad guy?..At least I think it was Tom...I remember Kirstie Alley was in it too ..as a hot secretary..wayyy before she needed Jenny Craig!! Oh wait..was it called Runaway?? It had these really cool mechanical spiders too..

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/05 at 6:13 pm

8)     Oh Yea..CAFE80s..Ive seen Trick or Treat..great flick...I was and still am a rocker and that movie was cool...Does anyone remember that old movie with Tom Selleck.. where hes the cop and Gene Simmons was the most excellent bad guy?..At least I think it was Tom...I remember Kirstie Alley was in it too ..as a hot secretary..wayyy before she needed Jenny Craig!! Oh wait..was it called Runaway?? It had these really cool mechanical spiders too..

Yeah, that's the movie...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/05 at 6:14 pm

Robocop is another good movie as well.

Written By: rip_jeans on 08/07/05 at 8:49 pm

Eddie Murphy's Raw (standup comedy) in 1986 or 1987. Which would make me 12 or 13 when I snuck in the theaters with my 3 buddies. (buddy's sister bought us the tickets)  Absolutely hilarious! Murphy at his finest, if you don't mind that every 3rd word is obscene.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 9:44 pm

8)  RIP..RAW was great... It was soo nasty..cussing and what not..we were soo cool cause we got to see it and most kids didnt till much later..

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/07/05 at 10:07 pm

Posting about 80's movies? I could be here all day if you let me, LOL!

I didn't majorly get into movies until I was about 9 or 10 (circa 1991) but most of them were from the 80's (well starting in the late 70's and up to the then-present).

One favorite would be obvious from my screen name of course! A few others off the top of my head:

-UHF
-Any of the "Vacation"s
-Police Academy (yeah all the first 6!)
-Breakfast Club
-The first 4 Ernest movies
-Uncle Buck
-Ghostbusters 1 and 2
-Summer Rental
-Planes Trains and Automobiles

Overall though, I like how, other than pop culture and technology NONE of the situations in these movies are truly "dated". I mean, all the situationss in Ferris Bueller or Fast Times At Ridgemont High are very relateable today 20 years later.

In the mid 80s you could NOT say that about a movie from 1965.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 10:54 pm

:D  Marty..guess you like John Candy Huh? Me too..he was one of the many larger size comedians that died waaayy too young.. loved Uncle Buck.. my 9 yr old daughter saw it a few days ago for the first time and she loved it too...Love the big pancake!!..You are right..the same situations still apply today..Ferris is such a classic..You always have the soo jealous older sisiter/brother..lol....Playing SICK is an ART..I mastered it... Little me is very good at it too..lol..The vacations are Classic too!..Love cousin EDDIE!! My dad had some White shoes..yeeewww..Always some wierd unc or cousin...lol!!!!!!!1

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/07/05 at 11:06 pm

:D   I cant remember The Burning but I remember one scary movie with a reall coool raft scene..gory!! i cant remember the name, maybe one of those tales fron the crypt movies, some kids got trapped on a wooden raft thing in the middle of a lake and this blob thing in the water gets up in a crack and pulls this guys leg through and it snaps straight up...really awsome....

The movie you speak of with the raft scene is Creepshow 2 which wasn't really that gory at all & it was only an M rated film. It's three short stories in one film, if you know what i mean. The Burning on the other hand had an extremly gory raft scene that makes the one in Creepshow 2 seem like a walk in the park. Theres a quick couple if seconds in that raft scene were a girl gets her fingers chopped off with garden shears & it looks crazy. The special effects were done by Tom Savani & he's the master. I have a Tom Savini documentary that shows some of how they did the effects for that raft scene. In particular the bit with the fingers, ouch.  The Burning is pretty much almost exactly like Friday The 13th part 1 just with a few small things changed. It's even set in a summer camp. Check it out if you liked the more gory violent no holds bared horror of the late 70s & early 80s.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 11:11 pm

;D THX Cafe80s!!! Guess back then it was scary to me ...Ill have to ck out the burning..More gore..I love it!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/07/05 at 11:18 pm

:D Marty..guess you like John Candy Huh? Me too..he was one of the many larger size comedians that died waaayy too young.. loved Uncle Buck.. my 9 yr old daughter saw it a few days ago for the first time and she loved it too...Love the big pancake!!..You are right..the same situations still apply today..Ferris is such a classic..You always have the soo jealous older sisiter/brother..lol....Playing SICK is an ART..I mastered it... Little me is very good at it too..lol..The vacations are Classic too!..Love cousin EDDIE!! My dad had some White shoes..yeeewww..Always some wierd unc or cousin...lol!!!!!!!1

Oh yeah, I made it a point to see anything he was in (easy since they were pretty much all lighthearted comedies), so I was pretty saddened when he died in '94.

The pancake scene never fails to make me hungry, LOL! Right after that, another favorite is the drunk clown. Heck I once even audiotaped that part of the dialogue I liked it so much (listen to the whole "Get in your mouse and get outta here" scene sped up, esp the noises the clown makes after Buck punches him!). ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 11:35 pm

8)  Long live John Candy! Yea..told my daughter..When she brings home her first boyfriend..We are gettin out the DRILL..heehee..Another great flick from 1986 I think was "Stand by me".. I loved River Phoenix..his death was soo unnesscessary( Did I spell that right?..lol)..He was soo very talented.. that movie was great for all the young actors.. Kiefer Sutherland was great as ACE..Wil Wheaton was perfect..cameo by John Cusack as the older deceased brother was soo moving.., Jerry O'Connell..VERNE..What can you say..He was adorable..The pennies!! ...and Corey..He was great till he started acting like MIKE!! I love Stephen King and I was soo happy to see this be made into a movie..and a really good one!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/07/05 at 11:37 pm

My favorite 80's movies:

National Lampoon's Vacation
Breakfast Club
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Flight of the Navigator
Return to Oz
The Boy Who Could Fly
Goonies
She's Out of Control
Dirty Dancing

Erin :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 11:44 pm

:D ERIN...Think I remember the boy who could fly.. wasnt that the one about the next door nieghbors..who was in it..its been a looong time!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/07/05 at 11:51 pm

:D ERIN...Think I remember the boy who could fly.. wasnt that the one about the next door nieghbors..who was in it..its been a looong time!

Yes, the actor who played the "boy who could fly" was Jay Underwood.  It was about a girl named Millie who moved into this house and lived next door to this odd boy, whom she finds out later, can really fly...he doesn't talk at all...but grows to have feelings for Millie. The girl who played Natalie on "Facts of Life" was in this movie, she played Millie's friend.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 12:01 am

8) THX ERIN..I remember it now! that was cool...Ill have to rent it ...

Written By: TC1970 on 08/08/05 at 6:56 am

Awesome movies listed!

I would recommend St. Elmo's Fire.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/08/05 at 12:34 pm

I have The Boy Who Could Fly which is ourt of print now over here in oz & it'll probably never see a DVD release in Australia either. It also stared Wonder Years' Fred Savage as Millie's little brother. I still remember the Cottee's Cordial Boy Who Could Fly promotion on TV. Peel the label on the bottle & win tickets to the movie or something like that. :) Ahhhhhhh the memories.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/08/05 at 4:08 pm

Another favorite of mine is Red Dawn, I also like Back To The Future as well.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 4:53 pm

;D I loved Red Dawn as well..It was scary because it had a plot that you actually believed COULD happen..I had nitemares for awhile thinking that the bad guys were going to drop in at school and kill ev..It was the beginnings for sev great actors and actresses..Patrick Swayze, C Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen,..Harry Dean Stanton was excellent as Patrick and Charlie's dad..very moving, esp the scene at the fence when he was remembering when they were little...and Powers Boothe is very good too..Great Flick!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/08/05 at 6:19 pm

I have The Boy Who Could Fly which is ourt of print now over here in oz & it'll probably never see a DVD release in Australia either. It also stared Wonder Years' Fred Savage as Millie's little brother. I still remember the Cottee's Cordial Boy Who Could Fly promotion on TV. Peel the label on the bottle & win tickets to the movie or something like that. :) Ahhhhhhh the memories.

I have a copy of the video tape too, I found it on Ebay on time.

Written By: OliverDK on 08/08/05 at 6:53 pm

Streets Of Fire - Tooooooooo cool
Battle Beyond The Stars - typical sci-fi of the early 80s
Explorers - Starring a very young River Phoenix
Combat Academy - A funny version of T.A.P.S.
The Last Dragon - Love the final fight scene
The Dungeon Master - A cool movie, it was called "The Computer Demon" in Denmark, shows the metal band WASP
Electric Dreams - Who can forget that one?
Flight of the Navigator - I had almost forgotten the Sarah Jessica Parker was a babe once, back in '86
Christiane F (Wir Kinder Vom Bahnof Zoo) - A german movie about teenage junkies in east Berlin, have a David Bowie concert

That's more or less what I can come up with, but you should check out www.fast-rewind.com it's got lots of info on 80s movies, a lot from the 70s too.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 7:16 pm

8)  I remember Streets of Fire a little..Ill have to go get it..I do remember Michael Pare..so very hotttt!! I really liked Eddie and the Cruisers..That was great..OMG...Im watching a rerun of King of Queens and I just heard Doug freaking out cause his wife had never seen Breakfast Club!!...then she gets pissed and he says shes just mad cause hes Ferris Bueller and shes the Bitchy sister...SOOO FUNNY!!!

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 8:32 pm

Here's another great flick from 1988..I remembered it cause it just came on TV tonite.."The Seventh Sign"..its about Revelations..has Demi Moore..Michael Biehn..and Jurgen Prochnow is excellent

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/09/05 at 8:55 pm

I also like Strange Brew, it's a good movie, and it's funny too...  ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 9:11 pm

:D YES! That was hysterical! Bob and Doug McKenzie??..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 9:12 pm

Do you guys remember the "Breakin" movies? Breakin and Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo?

Also...

Do you remember those Disney TV movies, "Boogedy" and "Bride of Boogedy"??

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 9:43 pm

8) I remember the Breakin movies..thought they were funny..I never got the spinning on your head stuff..

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/05 at 1:10 pm

8)

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 11/30/05 at 3:27 am

I hope these are good enough: GOTCHA!, TUFF-TURF 

Check for new replies or respond here...