inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Toys from the 80's

Written By: Beth on 08/07/05 at 2:01 pm

Toys from the 80's name as many as you remember. and if u want to tell us about these toys so other's remember that'd be cool. I'm thinking hands down game is from the late 80's early 90's  and Farm animals were something to keep kids occupied. well post back soon

Subject: Re: Toys from the 80's

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 2:18 pm

:D  This was prob from the late 70s..maybe early 80s..but I loved the STRETCH ARMSTRONG and STRETCH MONSTER... remember they were squshy, but tough...you could pull on thier arms and legs it they would SSTTRREETTCCHH real far..I got both and we had a war..Think monster won..I ended up stabbing ARMSTRONG to see what was inside..buncha really sticky red stuff...got all over my rabbit fur coat..pissed!!...lol

Written By: JT1972 on 08/07/05 at 4:16 pm

Toys from the 80's name as many as you remember. and if u want to tell us about these toys so other's remember that'd be cool. I'm thinking hands down game is from the late 80's early 90's  and Farm animals were something to keep kids occupied. well post back soon

I absolutely loved the Fisher Price collections - The Castle and The Village mainly. (Although these may have been late 70's)
Of course my Barbies - Golden Dreams, Magic Curl, Pink and Pretty etc...I still have them all.
Strawberry Shortcake dolls were fun too.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/05 at 6:15 pm

G.I. Joe and Masters of The Universe are a couple of my favorites.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/07/05 at 8:15 pm

I was mostly into legos (mostly generic), playdoh,  BrioTM train sets, toys which I can build stuff with.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 8:24 pm

:D  Rich..OOHH I loved LEGOS too!! Used to sit for hours with my friends..we'd combine our stuff and make these HUGE cities and play for HOURS!! And PlayDoh...Loved it!!..But wasnt allowed to have any..MOM thought it was too messy..Shoulda seen her face when Ole STRETCH got stabbed and red stuff was all over...lol..sorry MOM..

Written By: robby76 on 08/07/05 at 8:35 pm

I used to love Playmobil, especially my native american indians... you should see what Playmobil look like now... they've improved ten fold... such lucky kids today!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/05 at 8:39 pm

LEGOS rule!  :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 9:16 pm

8)..Robby..what was Playmobile? I remember the name but I cant place it..And Indians too..cant believe I dont know it..My grandma is full blooded CHEROKEE ..hubby is LAKOTA SIOUX....I still love the little plastic cowboys and indians too..always was the indians of course.. and the green army men..we used to dig holes in the side of a hill and put firecrackers in the hole and blow the crap outta them...so much fun!!

Written By: robby76 on 08/08/05 at 4:57 am

Playmobil were a little larger than Lego. It's been around for absolutely ages. I'll post a pic of the Indian Village that they released in 2000 (confession - I actually bought this set... yes I was in my mid-20's).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/miester30/playmobil.jpg

Playmobil nowadays is a lot more detailed and authentic which is why I couldn't resist the urge to buy it again. I love Native Americans... such a fantastic culture and people. My Mum always said that she thought I must've been one in a previous life.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 8:11 am

;D THX Robby! I remember Playmobil now..The pic jogged my memory..I never had one tho..I will now..HA! So I can buy that Indian set at ToysRUs or somewhere like that? whats the price range?  :-*

Written By: robby76 on 08/08/05 at 10:32 am

It's for sale on Ebay along with a lot of other Native American Playmobil sets. I t already has 4 bids on it though. Happy bidding!

http://search.ebay.com/playmobil-indian_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

If not, you can try the local toyshops as I'm sure they still continue the Native American theme.

Written By: robby76 on 08/08/05 at 10:47 am

GREEN 67 - I also collect these little beauties...

http://www.dogsoldiersfigures.com/index.htm

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 3:09 pm

;D  THANKS ROBBY!!!!!!!!!!! those Dogsoldiers are absolutely GREAT!!! Im soo excited..baby girl says shes getting them..no!!! MINE! ALL MINE!! LOL.........

Written By: Sakura on 08/09/05 at 4:11 pm

I loved The Tinker building set( I think that was what it was called) and the topple game. I used to play with popples alot to and my little pony. Oh and those scary looking troll dolls with the jewel in their stomach

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 4:38 pm

I just thought of another cool toy I had..I was 11 I think,maybe 12, for Christmas I got this remote controlled VAN..they only came in yellow..I think they were called MONSTER MACHINE or something like that..it even made noise I think..anyone else remember this??

Written By: Beth on 08/12/05 at 2:08 pm

Barbies........ Let's just say an average girl had at least 5 or more of them and Girls always made up stories to go along while playing barbies. I can remember getting a barbie coloring book, I'm sure i scribbled then hehe

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 12:45 am

In general most of my toys were the generic type one got for a buck or two at either a grocery store or drug store toys aisle. However occasionally I did get high class toys like Star Wars, GI Joes, Lego's and Transfomers. For some reason Transformers seemed to be the higher class of toy for me.

Written By: dcs84 on 09/18/06 at 9:57 pm

I used to prefer the independent toy store when I was growing up rather than the ToysRus model.  With the independent there was always the chance of finding something unique or exciting.  For example the painted toy soldiers from England called Britains Deetail, or as mentioned, Playmobil, and Play Asterix figures from Europe, and they still stocked Kenner Star Wars and Smurfs, Nintendo Game and Watches etc.

Written By: robby76 on 09/19/06 at 12:16 am

Play Asterix figures from Europe.

I collect PlayAsterix figures... only the Gauls though. I just need the fishmonger and his wife to complete my collection.

I agree with the independant toyshops. They were always more exciting to run round. Toys R Us is like a hypermarket.. all sterile and factory looking. No fun at all for a kid.

Written By: Cat0617 on 09/20/06 at 12:30 am

I remember having a rainbow brite doll,a glow worm,LEGOS,cabbage patch kids,care bears,barbies,mister potato head (this may have come out before the 80's i'm not sure),little tikes kitchen set fridge,stove and sink three piece set,popples,play-dough play sets,smurf stuffed animals,a grover doll,a kermit the frog doll(his hands and feet stuck together with velcro so that you could hang him off stuff),a garfield stuffed animal that had big plastic eyes that could open and close,and and an ALF doll.
I also used to play with the plastic cowboys and indians that were made out of the same plastic that the army men were. I remember that the play sets came with cowboys,indians,horses and fences. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...