inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Movie Club

Written By: OliverDK on 08/07/05 at 7:23 pm

It all started when me and two of my friends got together to celebrate that "Streets of Fire" had finally gotten released here in little ol' Denmark, I'm not really sure who actually got the idea but the way it works is that we meet once a month, each of us brings at least one movie and then we order some pizzas and six-pack.

Subject: Re: 80s Movie Club

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/07/05 at 7:48 pm

8)  Hey Retro..I love this! Ive done it for years..with not just 80s movies but ...say..last month I had my "Lonesome Dove" party...We do it ev. 6 months..Wear cowboy hats..get plenty of beer, toast the Texas rangers and watch the whole min-series..my next one is to honor the release of "The Jerk" on dvd..My friend has a Karioke machine and Im gonna sing the THERMOS song..lol..These parties are great...if anyone lives near the Mem Tn area feel free to come!!

Written By: OliverDK on 08/08/05 at 10:42 am

I love it Green!!!

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/08/05 at 11:59 am

I've been doing the same thing for a while now. Although i'm a bit particular when it comes to detail so my movie collection is all genuine ex rental VHSs  with original cover art all from the year they were released. For me DVDs are a dime a dozen & don't feel as special & collectable & you also don't get all the great old previews of all the other old movies that came oot around the same time. This all started when one day me & my brother made a list of old 80s flicks we grew up with  like D.A.R.Y.L. & Explorers etc & when we went to about 6 different video libraries to rent them, not one place had even one of the movies on our list. I then got on the phone & rang a few more video libraries that were outside my area & still couldn't find ant of them. I was told that most stores were phasing out VHS & most of the movies i'm after don't & probably never will get a DVD release in Australia. This irritated me a lot. From that point on i decided i was on a mission to find ex rentals of these movies & buy them so that i always have them there even 20 years from now & so that i'm never faced with this problem again. So i started a list that grew & grew & started finding places that source these titles for me or sell them & searched through second hand stores & ebay. It all kind of snowballed into the collection i have now. I have everthing that was on that list now & much much more. I've filled 2 huge shelves & my room now looks like a video library from the 80s.  It's also great to have stuff like the first three Star Wars films & The Exorcist without the new added digital footage all in their very first VHS rental releases with their original cover art & all, which are impossible to find these days & possibly worth some money. My original Ghostbusters release has a really old 80s Coca Cola comercial with kids dancing around in fluro clothing just between the previews & the start of the movie, that in itself is enough reason for me to own the original release over the DVD. Although some titles i have doubles of in the form of DVDs aswell. My girlfriend thinks i'm obsessed, i don't i just think i'm stuck in the 80s & so badly wish i could go back.

Written By: OliverDK on 08/08/05 at 2:28 pm

We've got the same problem in Denmark, getting the cool movies from back then, I have to order them from Canada and USA.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 2:47 pm

;D I know what you guys mean..While I have some dvd's, newer movies, the kids had to have.. I have the majority of movies on vhs..( I even have some 8-Tracks..) My living room sounds like yours Cafe..ive got 6 shelves filled with original movies, mostly 80s stuff..and boxes and boxes in the bedroom..at one point I had evthing organized on a rolodex in order but when my daughter was little she found it and decided to draw on it and destroy alot of it... :\'( so now Im not sure what all I have, the reason Ive bought alot of movies on DVD is that Ive watched the old ones sooo much they are falling apart..I have replaced some tho with rentals..like you were talking about Cafe..I found a great little place in midtown Memphis that sells and still rents vhs tapes..I found one of my fave ooold horror movies there last week..ever seen "GARGOYLES" from 1977? its cheesy but to this day its one of my faves..Bernie Caseys voice just scares me..but yep..my next party is a "JERK" one...

Written By: OliverDK on 08/08/05 at 3:28 pm

I think it's cool so many of the 80s movies you can actually get on DVD, and not just the famous ones, like "Breakfast Club" and "Top Gun", I just got "Flight of the Navigator" . "Battle Beyond The Stars" , "Explorers" and "The Last Dragon" from the United States, so I'm looking forward to the next meeting in the 80s Movie Club.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/08/05 at 4:00 pm

Sounds like a cool idea!

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/08/05 at 5:03 pm

We can't get Explorers or Flight Of The Navigator on DVD over here RetroGuyDK.
I know what you mean though Green67, with most of my videos they were in good condition except for the labels on the tape which were starting to come off after the glue gives from all those years of heat from inside the VRCs. So i bought a special glue that won't harm plastic, but it can supposedly glue glass to glass if nessecery. I'm like a repair shop basically restoring then to the best possible condition. Sometimes i even buy more than one copy of the same video if i can find it & i use the cover in the best condition, the tape in the best condition & the labels in the best condition. I basically mix & match. It's very time consuming though with so many titles. Thankfully some i haven't needed to repair because i've found them in near mint condition which blew me away considering how old they were. 20 or so years old, wow has it really been that long

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 5:20 pm

8) I need the name of that glue..thats what happenen to me Cafe..My movies in the boxes ..well I dont know what happened but the labels just started falling off..ive taped some of them but that does not work well..Hey If I win the Tn Lottery this week Ill fly you and Retro in for Movie nite...LOL..you guys think im kiddin but I would!  Cross your fingers............

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/08/05 at 6:07 pm

8) I need the name of that glue..thats what happenen to me Cafe..My movies in the boxes ..well I dont know what happened but the labels just started falling off..ive taped some of them but that does not work well..Hey If I win the Tn Lottery this week Ill fly you and Retro in for Movie nite...LOL..you guys think im kiddin but I would!  Cross your fingers............

hehe cool. :)  I'm not sure what the glue is called because the label is really worn, but from what i can make out i think it's Weldbond as one word. It says on the label "BONDS MOST ANYTHING" It's not harsh on plastic or other materials like some super glue might be. Not sure if they sell it in the U.S. though, but have a look around anyway.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 6:13 pm

;D  THX...appreciate it....

Check for new replies or respond here...