inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Memorial to Peter Jennings

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 8:58 am

:\'(  A great voice was hushed yesterday when TV news anchor Peter Jennings died of lung cancer at age 67..I remember news was something I never wanted to watch as a kid..it was scary..too much reality..but in the early 80's as a teen that all changed when I started to watch Peter Jennings..He had such a calmness about him, poise, his voice carried out to me and whatever was happening, however horrible, I knew we would all be ok because he said so..America..The whole world..will miss you terribly Peter, news will never be the same again.. :\'(

Subject: Re: Memorial to Peter Jennings

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/08/05 at 4:12 pm

He is one of my favorite reporters, he was calm, collective, and cool, especially he was reporting the most horrible news events, in my mind Peter Jennings is one of the last great reporters, especially with news networks and regular networks becoming more and more biased.

Rest in Peace, Peter, you will be missed.

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20050807/21/a/8/8/a887d2ad7d23bde00c720ee0a1828afa0_full.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/08/05 at 4:12 pm

RIP Peter Jennings :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/08/05 at 4:36 pm

While surfing the net, I found that had for downloading Peter Jenning's final news broadcoast, before dying dying recently. While watching I couldn't help but think that he was his usual calm, quiet, reassuring self, right until the very end.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Peter_Jennings_Cancer

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 5:11 pm

Yes..He was so very dignified. To me there will never be anyone near as good as he was.. :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/08/05 at 6:25 pm

He was very avid during the 9/11 tragedy...I read somewhere that he worked for over 60 hours straight. He will always stand out in my mind during that time.

Erin :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 6:30 pm

Absolutely Erin..during 9-11 I was soo upset and I watched him day and night..My husband is a union electrician and he went up there to help..Peter Jennings gave me a certain calmness during that time..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/08/05 at 9:39 pm

Absolutely Erin..during 9-11 I was soo upset and I watched him day and night..My husband is a union electrician and he went up there to help..Peter Jennings gave me a certain calmness during that time..

yes, I totally agree. The day of the terrorist attacks, I sat in front of the tv from morning until very late that night....and he did have a calming affect, he was a great newsman.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 10:34 pm

Jamie..since you are a Canadian..did you remember him when he was young?...

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/09/05 at 9:29 am

I couldn't believe it when I saw the news yesterday morning. I didn't expect this only 4 months after he announced his diagnosis.  I agree with the others...he was a very grounding and calming voice during the September 11th attacks-was something just very calming about him.

For the umpteenth time, I started back on the Nicotrol patches yesterday after I heard it. Have been wanting to quit the cancer sticks for a long time-hopefully this time will be the winner.

We lost a very dignified, level-headed, compassionate professional. I miss miss him greatly.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/09/05 at 11:18 am

Jamie..since you are a Canadian..did you remember him when he was young?...

No, way before my time, I was born in 1976.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 1:26 pm

I hear ya Metal..I quit smoking as well..luck to us both..

Written By: Howard on 08/09/05 at 3:43 pm

He also covered The New Year's Eve Countdown in 2000.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/09/05 at 6:00 pm

I hear ya Metal..I quit smoking as well..luck to us both..

We can lean on each other for support Green. I quit for 3 years in the 90's. Medical problems with my mom drove me back. Living with a  smoker doesn't help tho-roomie smokes. Man does it STINK when you've not touched one in two days! Stay tough! We can do this!

HOWARD I saw clips of him hosting New Years Eve 2000. Not sure what I was doing, probably at a friends house who was having a party.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 6:44 pm

I smoked my last one last night..Its gonna be tough..Ive smoked since I was 14..Im 38 now..Whew..Ive tried sev times but always went back after a couple of days..  I never saw the New Years with him..did you guys hear Christopher Reeve's wife has lung cancer too..and she never smoked!..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 8:14 pm

I smoked my last one last night..Its gonna be tough..Ive smoked since I was 14..Im 38 now..Whew..Ive tried sev times but always went back after a couple of days..   I never saw the New Years with him..did you guys hear Christopher Reeve's wife has lung cancer too..and she never smoked!..

yes I just heard that about his wife...such a pity...like the poor lady hasn't been through enough...and now this.

Erin

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 8:36 pm

I know it..she has been soo strong for so long and now this..makes you wonder..Why does god put so much on some pple?..

Written By: star500 on 08/09/05 at 10:40 pm

RIP Peter Jennings, he was a great reporter and he will be sadly missed.  :\'( I remember him so vividly during 9-11, he covered it for such a long time without stopping. He must have been exhausted, but like a good reporter he never showed it. My mom remembered that he was the first Canadian reporter to cover the Kennedy assasination in 1963, which must have been exhausting as well.
I'm sure he is up in heaven, reporting to the angels and to all the people there, what is going on down on earth.  :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 11:05 pm

Yes..Im sure he is..I saw today on "Entertainment Tonight"..the lighter side of Peter Jennings..When he was reporting and then they panned down and he had no pants on.. He was soo cool..I just talked to my husband ..whose in Cali.working..and I didnt know it but he stopped smoking too..He loved Peter as well..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 11:11 pm

Yes..Im sure he is..I saw today on "Entertainment Tonight"..the lighter side of Peter Jennings..When he was reporting and then they panned down and he had no pants on.. He was soo cool..I just talked to my husband ..whose in Cali.working..and I didnt know it but he stopped smoking too..He loved Peter as well..

good luck to the both of you on your path to stop smoking! I keep trying to urge my husband to stop chewing tobacco, he is so addicted to it, and it is so bad for you. My uncle had a friend who died when he was in his 20's because he chew snuff and got cancer of the lip...that would be so scary. I just wish he would try somehow to quit..because it's not something to take lightly.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 11:27 pm

:)  Thx Erin ..Metal's in on it too..I hope we can all quit..My mom started when she was 12..she was smoking cornhusks..lol..but she quit after 30 yrs..so did my dad when his viens in his neck clogged up..I have too..Im jonesin' right now..

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 5:39 pm

did you guys hear Christopher Reeve's wife has lung cancer too..and she never smoked!..

I was shocked. She went through nine years of turmoil with her husband...that wasn't hard enough-now she has to battle lung cancer? My heart breaks for her son...he's only 13 or so? I can't imagine the toll this is taking on him. To lose his dad and now to have to see his mother endure treatment for this and wonder if he'll be left without a mother.

That's not fair-how much can one person endure? My warmest thoughts are with her and her son right now.

I have too..Im jonesin' right now..

Try to divert your attention to something else. The key is in behaviour modification. It's very important to change routines, especially at key triggers that made you want to light up. I think, if you can manage a month on the patch-you'll see that the hardest part really is the psychological addiction rather than the physical. Least, that is the way it has always been for me. Once you get through that, you'll find yourself sort of laughing at yourself when you unconsciously reach for a pack and then you tell yourself, "I'm smoke free now...I don't do that anymore."  ;)

I'm here for ya! DON'T GIVE IN TO THE URGE! You are stronger than the cancer sticks!  :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/10/05 at 6:42 pm

;D THX..I just saw more on E! about Peter's death..Now HOLLYWOOD is going to have a smokeout..they are talking about secondhand smoke too..scary

Written By: richkeen22 on 08/11/05 at 12:25 am

:(    :(  im gona miss him...

Check for new replies or respond here...