inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Christiane F

Written By: OliverDK on 08/08/05 at 7:07 pm

Does anyone know the German movie "Christiane F - Wir Kinder Vom Bahnhof Zoo" from 1981, maybe we knew it because Germany is our neighbor, but my 9th grade teacher showed us this fantastic movie, it affected my life in ways I can't even put into words, but it's a fantastic movie about teenage junkies in East Berlin.
The movie is in German but it's out with English subtitles, and you get to hear David Bowie sing a rare version of "Heroes" in German, but that's really just the backdrop to tell the story of 14y.o Christiane on the streets of Berlin, and the world she lived in, it's not a nice movie by any standards but it's a strong story.

Subject: Re: Christiane F

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 7:33 pm

Ive never heard of that movie but would like to see it..is it anything like Trainspotting? I think thats the title..It had Ewan Mcgreagor as a heroin junkie..that movie freaked me out..

Written By: Powerslave on 08/08/05 at 11:22 pm

Nope, it's nothing like "Trainspotting". It's darker and far more realistic and examines teenage heroin addiction and prostitution in a way only European films can. It's very, very in your face.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 11:25 pm

Have to rent it..THX Powerslave

Written By: OliverDK on 08/09/05 at 6:09 am

Nope, it's nothing like "Trainspotting". It's darker and far more realistic and examines teenage heroin addiction and prostitution in a way only European films can. It's very, very in your face.

A very good describtion Powerslave, you hit it right on.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/09/05 at 8:00 pm

It's a disturbing and appalling film that everyone should see.

:)

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/10/05 at 11:50 am

Hey Powerslave, you sound like a man after my own heart. I like your attitude. You're right though Trainspotting almost unintentionally glorifies the Heroin lifestyle in some strange & fu*ked up sort of way & i'm sure some people idolise & wanna relate to some of the characters as fu*ked as that may be. That's probably because when they make movies in the west they always try to make something about them seem "cool" (what ever that is). Whereas Christiane F - Wir Kinder Vom Bahnhof Zoo sounds more like the ultimate deterant & a powerful story that skips the wanking about & sticks to being real & honest. I will have to see it.

Written By: OliverDK on 08/10/05 at 12:30 pm

I like to think of that film as actually saving lives, we had two danish claasses senior year and only one saw the movie, no one of twenty-five ever fell for hard drugs - some weed now and then - but three from the other class died by overdoze in five years, might be a coincidence but I like to think that Christiane's story made an impact on all of us who saw it.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/10/05 at 7:09 pm

I would like to see Christiana F., since I am a fan of German cinema. Another great film German from the 80s is "Marianna and Julianna", about two sisters having separate lives.

Check for new replies or respond here...