inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the best food in the 80's

Written By: Beth on 08/09/05 at 6:46 am

what was the best food in the 80's that people ate alot or just loved so much. If u can think of any that'd be cool. I'm from the late 80's so i dont know but would like to know anyway, C-ya

Subject: Re: What was the best food in the 80's

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/09/05 at 7:27 am

I remember when Hamburger Helper had a flavor called Pizza Bake - it came out in 1985 and was probably discontinued around 1989 or 1990 - anyway, you took hamburger and mixed it with the pizza sauce, you baked the cruse separately then you spread the meat and sauce mix onto the crust, added cheese if you wished, then cooked it in the oven for about 20 minutes.  I ate it so often I got sick of it, unfortunately.  I wish they'd bring it back though.  :)

Hamburger Helper also had other variations of it too, like Taco Bake and Sloppy Joe Bake.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/09/05 at 9:19 am

Sloppy Joes I guess...I ate a lot of those

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/09/05 at 9:45 am

Here in Australia K-mart stores all had a resturaunt inside every K-mart store called Holly's or Hollie's. The food was great, but in particular they had real authentic creamy milkshakes in a huge traditional milkshake glass like what you'd get at a 50's dinner or something. The strawberry milkshakes even had the little tiny pips or seeds from real strawberrys in it. I've gone close to mad trying to find another place that makes them even remotely similar like a proper milkshake should be. K-mart closed all it's Holly's restaraunts in 1990 or 1991, so since then i've been trying to find another place that makes "real" milkshakes like that, with absolutly no success. Every other place that makes milkshakes these days like Donut King, Wendy's & even privatetly owned cafes & restaurants make very generic ones with just some frothed up milk & a bit of artificial flavouring & i always "have to ask" them to blend some cream or whipped cream into it as an extra & some places even charge me extra for that. It's ridiculous. 

Written By: JT1972 on 08/09/05 at 10:59 am

Everything tasted better then. Maybe it was because you're a kid.
Everything seemed to be bigger sized too!  I miss Maple Buds, Jello Pudding Pops, Koo Koo bars and the Pop Shoppe the most  ; (

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/09/05 at 11:31 am

Everything seemed to be bigger sized too!  I miss Maple Buds, Jello Pudding Pops, Koo Koo bars and the Pop Shoppe the most  ; (

They brought Pudding Pops back last year - I've seen them in supermarkets.  :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 3:31 pm

::)  I loved KRYSTALS..could eat at least 10 back then..In some parts of the states they are called White Castle burgers but its the same thing..They were perfect after a long nite of drinking on the town.. open real late..

Written By: Sakura on 08/09/05 at 3:35 pm

I remember Jolt Cola. It wasn't really o food but I was the best it was like drinking two cups of pure caffine. ^^

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 3:52 pm

:D  Yep JOLT cola was a trip..I drank quite a bit of it..

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/10/05 at 12:46 pm

Nope, in my case i'm 100% positive that these milkshakes were the real deal & were the best ones i've "ever" had. In no way is this selective memory. Last time i had one was just before Holly's closed down in 1991. I was about 14 i think, so i was already a teenager & my memory of the taste & texture is extremely vivid. So vivid in fact  that when i think about it i can still taste it. Everything i've tried since then has been a poorly made, generic milkshake, made with milk & a bit of artificial flavouring & maybe some whipped cream blended in (if i actually ask for it) & believe me i've tried "a lot" of other places since 91 to find something even remotely similar with no success. Fu*k, i'm still so pi*sed off about Holly's closing down to this very day & i want one of those milkshakes right now. 

Written By: ADH13 on 08/10/05 at 1:55 pm

S'mores Crunch Cereal
Mello Yello soda
Chef Boyardee "Roller Coasters"
Bigfoot ice cream bars (was shaped like a foot-vanilla arch & heel, chocolate toes and a gumball
under the big toe
Corn Quistos (similar to Combos)

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/10/05 at 2:03 pm

Alf icecreams on a stick were great. Shaped like Alf with toffee & caramel icecream. Also Bubble-O-Bill, similar to the Alf ones except shaped like a cowboy & with a bubblegum nose. Also Chocito chocolate bars, don't know if that's how is spelled though.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 4:55 pm

:D  Yep JOLT cola was a trip..I drank quite a bit of it..

I think this soda made me realise how annoying I was when I was doing coke  ;D My best bud drank this a lot and he was totally wired when he drank it. I'll never forget one night at work while we were eating pizza and a customer made us laugh and he had Jolt in his mouth and it came out his nose. Killed my appetite but it was a riot. I tried it once and it was nasty!

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/10/05 at 5:01 pm

::)  Hmmm I know what you mean about annoying..JOLT did have that affect..lol..

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 6:06 pm

Somehow, I ended up with a promotional JOLT jockstrap LOL!  Have no idea how I got it because I never drank it. Hmm...not sure I should be saying this on a  family board???  :D

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/10/05 at 6:53 pm

;D  LOL..Metal!!..  another fave food ..I dont really remember when Reese Cups came out but I ate a WHOLE lot of them in the 80s..I remember eating a whole bag once of the minis after a particular run-in with a Graphics....lol..

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 7:32 pm

I was going to say something naughty till I realised it would maybe be too naughty ;D  I loved those peanut butter cups-they didn't mix well with alcohol though! Trust me, chocolate is nasty the second time around :P I wonder if they had promo jockstraps? At least that was a product I actually consumed ;D

Almond Joys were awesome too!

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/10/05 at 7:41 pm

;D  HAHAHA.................. ;D  Almond Joys were great..still are

Written By: rich1981 on 08/10/05 at 11:04 pm

One of my favorite cereals at that time was Dino Pebbles, even though I really was never really into the fruity/cocoa pebbles cereals.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/11/05 at 5:42 am

Any of you ever contemplate getting one of those small variety packs of these sugar bombs just for the fun of it? Every once in a  while I pass by in the grocery store and think "Do I buy it or not?" I've always passed but I'm real tempted.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/11/05 at 7:28 am

I loved Gold Rush ice cream bars - they were vanilla ice cream caramel, peanuts, and a peanut butter center covered with chocolate.  I'm salivating just thinking about it.  :)

I also ate Peanut Butter Crunch n Munch - I remember they had a breakdancing commercial for it when it first came out.

Written By: aprilfrcho2005 on 08/24/05 at 2:07 am

Does anyone remember Crystal Pepsi?  Or remember the PayDay candy bar, but it was chocolate covered?  Also does anyone remember Salsa flavored dorities?  Or Taco flavored Doritos?  If so e-mail me at aprilfrcho2005@hotmail.com

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/24/05 at 9:29 am

little cesars pizza (the one by my house went outta biz  :\'()

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/24/05 at 7:55 pm

Cereals
Count Chocula (I think that's how it's spelled)
Cookie Crisps (it's back on the market again!)
Yummy Mummy

Check for new replies or respond here...