inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: does everyone remember their 80s shoes

Written By: smurfette 101 on 08/09/05 at 10:34 am

i certainly remember a pair of mine, they were called keapas shoes , those were the  coolest shoes i ever had, do you remember what you had in the 80s.

Subject: Re: does everyone remember their 80s shoes

Written By: JT1972 on 08/09/05 at 10:55 am

My footwear included:

Jelly shoes
Chinese slippers
Peter Pan boots
Granny boots
Desert boots
LA Gear Sneakers

Written By: robby76 on 08/09/05 at 11:11 am

LA Gear... I remember those, did the company go bust or something? I remember you had to stick the tongue out way over your jeans.
I also had sneakers which you could unzip from the rubber sole and replace with another shoe print. Those were both in the late 80's though.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/09/05 at 11:34 am

LA Gear... I remember those, did the company go bust or something? I remember you had to stick the tongue out way over your jeans.
I also had sneakers which you could unzip from the rubber sole and replace with another shoe print. Those were both in the late 80's though.

I bought a pair of LA Gear shoes at Famous Footwear recently - mine are white with lilac trimmings and they have various colors with girl's names for each color.

BTW, during my senior year of high school, I did own a really cool pair of high top sneakers, but I wore them out really fast.

Written By: pell on 08/09/05 at 2:33 pm

I almost always wore high-top sneakers, but only the ones the looked like little boots, not the skinny old-style Converse. I still prefer to wear shoes or boots that come over my ankles.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 3:41 pm

;D  I miss the shoes!!! I had Converse ( red ) , LA Gear..with the two diff colored laces, Reeboks-high top-pink, The CHECKERED VANS..( had to have them after I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High!!, But...my absolute FAVE pair of shoes was my knee high moccasins with the fringe...wore them completely out!!!I had the short pair too but the knee-highs were my FAVES!!

Written By: Chrisrj on 08/09/05 at 4:33 pm

I was a kid back then, so...

The only ones I truly remember are those lace-less checker-patterned sneakers I had in the 3rd grade(1988-89).

Of course, I also had velcro shoes, but they weren't that 80s-specific...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/05 at 4:41 pm

Most of the shoes I wore went with my uniform. I think it was in the 80s when I discovered New Balance and they are the only sneakers that I will ever wear.

Cat

Written By: rip_jeans on 08/09/05 at 5:22 pm

Nike
Puma
Converse
Pro Wings
Adidas
Reebok

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 6:47 pm

;D  I forgot the CANDIES high heels!! I modeled in high school briefly and we all had them..loved the clear ones!

Written By: kairi747 on 08/09/05 at 9:28 pm

clear jelly shoes
pink reebok high tops
vans - pink and white checkerd with turquoise blue shoelaces

well, those were my faves!

;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 10:36 pm

i wore...

jellies
kangaroos (the one's with the little zippered compartments)
black & whites
keds
moon boots (in the winter)

Erin :)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/09/05 at 10:40 pm

all I can remember was early 80's those wood-like tan soles with the blue buckle going across the top...  i've actually been seeing them again in the stores lately..  but they don't look very comfortable!  not sure how i put up with them back in the day

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 10:42 pm

all I can remember was early 80's those wood-like tan soles with the blue buckle going across the top...  i've actually been seeing them again in the stores lately..  but they don't look very comfortable!  not sure how i put up with them back in the day

do you mean Dr. Scholl's sandals? I used to have a pair of those when I was younger as well..they were so uncomfortable!

Written By: ADH13 on 08/09/05 at 10:43 pm

do you mean Dr. Scholl's sandals? I used to have a pair of those when I was younger as well..they were so uncomfortable!

I don't think I ever knew who made them... but they were sandals and all there was were the hard sole and the blue buckle.. no straps or anything

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 10:50 pm

Is this what you mean?

http://www.clogsonline.com//ImgUpload/P_696025_1272748.JPG

Written By: ADH13 on 08/09/05 at 10:54 pm

Is this what you mean?

http://www.clogsonline.com//ImgUpload/P_696025_1272748.JPG

yep, that's the one!!!  But when I was a kid I don't think I ever saw them in any other color besides blue!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/05 at 10:56 pm

ya, I think I had a blue pair too when I was younger! They were SO hard to walk on!

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 11:00 pm

I totally forgot about Dr. Scholls sandals..I had some of those too. they were supposed to be good for your "ARCHES"..they were uncomfortable!!

Written By: Tam on 08/10/05 at 12:27 am

I had twp pairs of high top sneakers that resembled Converse, but of course werent.
One pair was red, the other grey.
I would wear one red shoe and one grey shoe, exchanging the laces as well! I was a freak!
I also had these dress shoes that I wore all the time.
I cant remember the actual name brand of them but I can tell you that I called them
"Pickle Stabbers" because of the severly pointed toe that was covered in steel!!

;D :D

Written By: Gis on 08/10/05 at 1:38 am

Hmmm early 80's when I was at school I had these black laceup shoes that were in fashion in the U.K, you wore them with over the knee socks ! Also flat black pointy toed shoes.
After that I had a pair of white then red baseball boots, also white boxer boots.Suede pixie boots a pair of leather boots with fur round the top like Bono used to wear which I LOVED and wore to death.Then long black over the knee suede boots. Finally as the 80's drew to a close cowboy boots.I still have my favorite pair of burgandy ones now.
I was then, and am still now a big boot fan rather than shoes.I have loads of pairs of boots and I mean loads ! ::) 

Written By: karen on 08/10/05 at 5:29 am

I had a pair of maroon suede pixie boots with little medallions hanging off the cuff, school shoes were generally 'pork pie' lace ups in the early eighties.  I remember I had a pair of yellow 'jazz' shoes which were so comfortable.  I also had a pair of grey leather 'grecian' style sandals which I wore out.  The only problem with them was one of the buckles squeaked as I walked.  :-[

Written By: TC1970 on 08/10/05 at 6:19 am

We always had generic shoes.  ;D
I always wanted a pair of Kangaroos. 

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/10/05 at 10:18 am

I had twp pairs of high top sneakers that resembled Converse, but of course werent.
One pair was red, the other grey.
I would wear one red shoe and one grey shoe, exchanging the laces as well! I was a freak!
I also had these dress shoes that I wore all the time.
I cant remember the actual name brand of them but I can tell you that I called them
"Pickle Stabbers" because of the severly pointed toe that was covered in steel!!

;D :D

for a very short period of about 6 months i actually used to were one hawian blue Converse Chuck Taylor on one foot & one purple one on the other. How un-metal of me ;D :D shhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone. ;D I'm embarrassed :-[ i think i'll shut up now.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/10/05 at 5:07 pm

;D  LOL CAFE!!!!!!!!! Im guilty too..wore my pink Reebok on one foot and Red converse on the other..How very odd..I think someone even asked if I was Tripping...

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 5:17 pm

for a very short period of about 6 months i actually used to were one hawian blue Converse Chuck Taylor on one foot & one purple one on the other. How un-metal of me   shhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone.  I'm embarrassed  i think i'll shut up now.

The Intergalactic Metal Society will never hear it from me. I just hope they don't see some of the non-metal songs I posted I was listening to. I don't want my membership revoked.  ???

In the 80's, I wore Converse hi tops all the time. I still have two pairs that look like they were resurrected from the Krypt Keepers coffin ;D I'm still trying to find a new pair.

I also wore black flat boots, like King Diamond wears. If anybody knows where you can still buy these, I'd be forever grateful! I want my black boots back and cannot find them ANYWHERE!  Obviously, they're still being made, King Diamond still wears them but I'll be damned if I can find out where he gets his.

\m/   

Written By: TC1970 on 08/10/05 at 7:08 pm

King Diamond most likey has his custom made. I be for a pretty penny you could get them too.

I thought I seen high top's someplace online... hmm.. ..If I can recall where I seen the site I will post  it. :)  Did you guys wear then loosely tied  with your jeans tucked in behind the tongue?

Zips were another brand I wanted but only so I could make the Z in the dirt.  :D

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 7:15 pm

King Diamond most likey has his custom made. I be for a pretty penny you could get them too.

I thought I seen high top's someplace online... hmm.. ..If I can recall where I seen the site I will post  it. :)  Did you guys wear then loosely tied  with your jeans tucked in behind the tongue?

Zips were another brand I wanted but only so I could make the Z in the dirt.  :D

Converse All Stars? I bought 2 pairs when they went out of business. I should have bought more. I wear Otomix Stingrays now which are great but don't have the nostalgia that Converse has. If you find the link, yeah-let me know please!  Yes...we wore them loosely tied and your jeans had to be tucked behind the tongue. I also remember us beating the hell out of them to make 'em look old right after we got them.

I should look into getting the boots custom made. <Gulp-do I admit this> I have a closet full of designer clothes (Yeah, sometimes ya gotta dress up-even us metal heads :D ) so the boots wouldn't be that far of a stretch to have made, I think.  Never had anything custom made. Couldn't cost anymore than the suede Gucci trenchcoat I got last fall though.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/10/05 at 11:58 pm

Converse All Stars? I bought 2 pairs when they went out of business. I should have bought more.

Actually Converse Allstars are still being made & you can get em in just about any sports store & casual shoe store over here. I just bought a new black pair to replace the ones i've been wearing for a year & a half & that now look like a dog's breakfast.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/11/05 at 12:15 am

The Intergalactic Metal Society will never hear it from me. I just hope they don't see some of the non-metal songs I posted I was listening to. I don't want my membership revoked.  ???

Yeah but bright blue & purple? It was so loud it screamed hippie, pun intended. I stuck to basic black before & after that & i keep the purple & bright blue pair tucked away somewhere. I've always stuck with Chucks or Doc Martens though. Although when i was really young my folks used to buy me Trax or Aerosport sneakers. Don't know if you have em in the U.S. though. Very cheapa*s  sneakers you could buy at K-Mart or Target & if you were still wearing them by highschool you'd probably get teased about it.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/11/05 at 5:30 am

Hmm, well purple is my favourite colour and it was the cover colour  of King's THE EYE. Purple stands for royalty.

Trax sounds familiar for some reason. Have to see if I can find them on line. I think I had the original red/white/blue Nikes for middle school but by the time I was  a freshman in HS I was into hi tops and no more Nike's for me.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 08/11/05 at 5:52 am

I would've been about 7 (1983) when my mum bought me some sparkly white jelly shoes. I wore them as "glass slippers", with my Cinderella costume. 1986, I had a bright yellow pair of sneakers, which I loved.... and consequently wore out. And finally, in 1988-89, when I started running, I was bought a pair of white/blue striped Adidas runners.
A big thing in the 80s, I remember was interlacing, threading your shoe laces like _ instead of X
                                                                                                                _               X
                                                                                                                _               X

Written By: Jennifer028 on 08/11/05 at 8:50 pm

I had every color of Vans..the lace on ones not the slip ons.  I hated the slip ons..lol

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/11/05 at 8:58 pm

;D  Aww I loved the slip ons!!

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/16/05 at 12:35 pm

I had every color of Vans..the lace on ones not the slip ons.  I hated the slip ons..lol

I love the slip ons. I never thought they looked that great back then but i love em now. Plus the black & white checkered slip ons were the traditional BMX racing shoes in the 80s & i looooove BMX from the 80s. It's so over hyped now, attracting more of the newbie skater crowd with all newbie skater fashions, yuck. Totally extreme  ::) LOL. Yeah what about good old simple fun.

Written By: aprilfrcho2005 on 08/24/05 at 1:58 am

OMG I remember i loooved Jellies, and my hot pink/white/black with triple laces LA Gears...I also remember British Knights

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/24/05 at 9:55 am

I wore Jellies too...I hated how when your feet would sweat they would stick to your feet....that was a gross feeling! LOL!

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/24/05 at 12:25 pm

BRITISH KNIGHTS :)

Check for new replies or respond here...