inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which TV-Series???

Written By: OliverDK on 08/10/05 at 1:51 pm

I'm trying to get my local network bring some old tv-series, and a title would help a lot, the one I'm after takes place onboard a USN carrier, and the theme-song seems to have been "Sailing" and possibly by Rod Stewart, I remember seeing it as a kid, so it's probably from the late 70s, maybe early 80s.
I hope someone can help me out.

Subject: Re: Which TV-Series???

Written By: Watcher29 on 08/10/05 at 1:58 pm

Do you know who the actors were? You might be able to find it in the actor's resume on IMDB.com.

Written By: OliverDK on 08/10/05 at 2:04 pm

I have no idea who the actors were Watcher, I couldn't have been more than ten or so when I saw it.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/10/05 at 2:07 pm

I'm trying to get my local network bring some old tv-series, and a title would help a lot, the one I'm after takes place onboard a USN carrier, and the theme-song seems to have been "Sailing" and possibly by Rod Stewart, I remember seeing it as a kid, so it's probably from the late 70s, maybe early 80s.
I hope someone can help me out.

McHale's Navy??

I've never actually watched this show, but since you mentioned a USN carrier and the show has the word "Navy" in it, I thought it might be the one...

Written By: OliverDK on 08/10/05 at 2:14 pm

McHale's Navy??

Thanks but that wasn't it Odyssey, they flew jets in the one I need, maybe Tomcats, Phantoms or even Skyhawks, I'm not sure which but they were jets, "McHale's Navy" is about the Pacific War.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/10/05 at 7:31 pm

Thanks but that wasn't it Odyssey, they flew jets in the one I need, maybe Tomcats, Phantoms or even Skyhawks, I'm not sure which but they were jets, "McHale's Navy" is about the Pacific War.

Was it an American show?

I have searched hard, and have not found a bit of information on this show.  I even looked at the credits for Rod Stewart and Christopher Cross (Who did "Sailing") and found nothing like it.

I even went as far as to do a "Movie Connections" link with such movies as "Top Gun" and "Final Countdown" and also came up blank.  Are you sure you are remembering a TV series, and not a mini-series or movie?  And also about the time frame?  The only TV series I can think of that regularly featured aircraft carrier landings is "Baa Baa Black Sheep".

Written By: Skippy on 08/10/05 at 8:38 pm

Call to Glory? Tour of Duty? Supercarrier? China Beach? All of these had war/military themes. Supercarrier was a short-lived 1988 seies.

Written By: saver on 08/10/05 at 10:59 pm

my answer on the other question I left on the other thread was a show called Emerald Point???

Written By: OliverDK on 08/11/05 at 3:02 am

I just checked it with my mother, I mostly remember the series because she used to sing "Sailing" to make me go to sleep when I was a kid, she remembers the series but not the title of cause, according to her I must have seen it between I was 5 (1976) and 10 (1981), and back then when we got american series on danish tv they were usually 2-5 years old, so it must be from the early 70s, late 60s.
I'm not even sure it is american since Rod Stewart is scottish, so it could be british, but he was an international name even then, and the only navy in the world that operates true carriers is USN, so...

Written By: saver on 08/12/05 at 5:34 pm

After contacting the Christopher Cross know it alls...they replied they weren't aware of any show that legally used Sailing for a theme:

No "significant" television show has ever used "Sailing"
: for a theme song. But we have discovered that a few small cable shows
: (public access) or regional television commercials have used it for a
: theme song without the proper authorization. So he may have seen a
: community access program using it or something. But nothing of any
: significance. And they would have used it ilegally.

Now you think it was fro the 60's or 70's?

Drama? Foreign run?

Hope you find out? :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...