inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: tell me about your 80s tale- gate parties.

Written By: smurfette 101 on 08/10/05 at 4:02 pm

my first tale gate party was out  on this ranch, we listened to music and had  a ball tell about yours ;) ;) :)

Subject: Re: tell me about your 80s tale- gate parties.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 4:50 pm

:D  Ahhhhm, tail gate parties!!!! Scorpions, Skid Row, Motorhead, Operation Rock & Roll, and on and on. Wow.....these were fun. Group of us would hit this outdoor venue early and people were always cooking burgers, sausages and stuff like that and had coolers of beer. Everyone's radio would be cranked up and metal filled the air! It was a fun way to meet new friends, share in the excitement at the concert we were about to see, make lots of good memories.

The 'fun' part was trying to keep the booze out of sight. Security roamed the parking lot frequently and if you were caught, you were in deep sh!t. Not sure what they did to you but I'd seen people carted off.

I had stopped doing drugs at 16 so I never partook when someone would spark up. I was very tempted but it didn't seem worth it. Booze was all I needed.

Man, those were the good old days. Even when I smell a BBQ now, I can still recall "Oh yeah, the Scorpions show." or "Wow, did we get wrecked before the Motorhead show. Sausages don't taste good the second time around"  ;D

I think, for me, the whole feeling of being in a massive parking lot in a literal sea of people who were just as excited about the concert and how frinedly it all was. The metal scene was the only place I ever really fit in-it was an incredible time to have lived and experience it all first hand.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/10/05 at 5:37 pm

:D I loved the parties too Metal..They were almost as good as the concerts! Yep security was bad..This one time a security PR**K nabbed my fave flask..was soo pissed..Some I dont remember..I know I was there cause the pictures say sooo........SCARY..Once before a Whitesnake concert we had a killer party with about 50 friends and well..I made it to the concert but passed out in the 6th row..my friends held my arms up whenever security went by so it looked like I was awake...LOl...Also back then you could "camp out" for tickets..we did this alll the time..those parties were great too!!

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 6:01 pm

Sounds like a blast, Green! Too funny about your friends holding your arms up so you'd look like you were awake!

Never camped out for tickets...I worked at a record store so for most bands (no all but most), I could get on the guest list for and usually manage back stage passes.  Somebody on here mentioned  going nuts with a laminating machine...I have a backstage pass for Metallica's Justice tour when Queensryche opened for them. I should get that laminated. Only bad thing about the record store was, I don't have many tickets since I was on the guest list for so many shows.  :(

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/10/05 at 6:31 pm

;D Its me with the laminating machine..LOL...I laminate everything!! We used to have pretty killer tail gate parties too before the football games here..It was in the Liberty Bowl parking lot..But you cant beat the concert ones..

Written By: TC1970 on 08/10/05 at 7:01 pm

I always went into the concerts because the" druggies" hung out in the parking lots.  ::)  But  deep inside I wanted to be out there with them.  Looking back, most of the "druggies" were inside the concerts. LOL

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 7:25 pm

I always went into the concerts because the" druggies" hung out in the parking lots.  ::)  But  deep inside I wanted to be out there with them.   Looking back, most of the "druggies" were inside the concerts. LOL

;D Every concert had an assortment of Mike Damone's of the drug world working each section of the lot.

Its me with the laminating machine

Are they expensive? I wonder if it'd be worth it to get one to preserve some of my stuff? I've got the concert tickets I do have in the CD jewel cases though, between the back cover and the jewel case. The 'Tallica pass I have is clipped up in my art room at my dad's house-least it was when I moved out.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/10/05 at 7:37 pm

:) I dont know how much the large ones cost but I have a personal one for smaller items.."Heatseal H100 pouch laminator" it was around 70 bucks..

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/11/05 at 12:07 am

:D..you are right Metal.. There was always a "Mike Damone"  in ev crowd...The guy that could get "anything"...The guy I knew was soo slick...I bet he is in the "farm" right now..And the guy also.. The one that had the DRUGS.. he was at ev tail gate party..( whether he had tickets or not! )....This guy..for real..always wanted to put his head in the microwave.."JUST TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN"...Mine had a stroke when he was 19..but...He is alive and well now..I met with his wife.to "catch up" and they have kids and he is a great father..Im soo relived..thought he was dead...The tailgate parties were the best.. I camped out one time for 4 days for tickets to see Van Halen..not Van Hagar..lol..I also camped out to see mettallica..That show Rocked!!

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/11/05 at 5:38 am

:D..you are right Metal.. There was always a "Mike Damone"  in ev crowd...The guy that could get "anything"...The guy I knew was soo slick...I bet he is in the "farm" right now..And the guy also.. The one that had the DRUGS.. he was at ev tail gate party..( whether he had tickets or not! )....This guy..for real..always wanted to put his head in the microwave.."JUST TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN"...Mine had a stroke when he was 19..but...He is alive and well now..I met with his wife.to "catch up" and they have kids and he is a great father..Im soo relived..thought he was dead...The tailgate parties were the best.. I camped out one time for 4 days for tickets to see Van Halen..not Van Hagar..lol..I also camped out to see mettallica..That show Rocked!!

Stroke at 19??? HOLY CRAP! I was surprised when I read Steen Adler (G&R) had a stroke from drug use. Was even more sshockedwhen a 23 year old college guy was in hospital with my mom. Kid did NOTHING by yell-it was primal instinct, I guess from what they said. Must have been a frat party or something as the nurses said he had a blood alcohol level that should have killed him but instead caused a stroke.

Glad your friend did ok and is married and had a family and all now. I always wanted to camp out for tickets back in the day. Never did though.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/11/05 at 3:19 pm

:-\\  Yep..19..I dont remember what particular thing caused it..he did it alllll....The bad thing is after that he still came to all the parties..his whole left side was screwed up..hand always stretched out..mouth turned down at the corner..but yea..he's o.k. now..I really miss the tail-gate parties..seems like you cant really have them anymore here for rock concerts..they are really strict..But they do have "after" parties..Like when I saw Page and Plant at the Pyramid here after in the parking lot across the st. a Led Zep cover band was jammin out..It was a cool St. party

Check for new replies or respond here...