inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: help with a song from 1984

Written By: CharlieBrown243 on 08/13/05 at 4:21 pm

I am looking for the name / artist of a song released in 1984.  It was also included on a compilation tape here in Australia (Choose 1984).  My daughter has been searching for it and is driving me crazy "cause, Mum, you know all about music" ... I wish.  The song (she thought was called Big Girls ... no its not big girls don't cry) ... but has words in it about big girls ... I am afraid i cannot help her with this one ... *shrugs*
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ta
CharlieBrown from Aus  ;D

Subject: Re: help with a song from 1984

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/13/05 at 9:04 pm

Would you have any recollection of the lyrics?

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/13/05 at 9:37 pm

One tune that it might be is the infamous (considered infamous because it became an unitentional gay rights anthem; although the singers didn't intend this to be the case and it did become somewhat successful on the pop charts) is the 1983 (it was released in late 1982, but didn't chart until '83 -- in I do believe the Top 60's or so on Billboard Magazine's Hot 100 charts -- it hit higher on the dance charts because it was a club favorite, especially in many of the gay centers in the country {I'm not gay, but my brother is}, not '84), anyway the name of the tune I'm wondering if it was was:

"It's Raining Men" by the Weather Girls

The Weather Girls themselves were the African-American singers, Martha Wash & Izora Rhodes, who were quite hefty women (weight wise that is).  Wash and Rhodes were known before they became the Weather Girls (this info is from VH1, btw) as "Two Tons Of Fun" and in the 1970's sang backup for the group, Sylvester. 

After Wash & Rhodes broke up (shortly after, "It's Raining Men"), Wash started singing backup for the later successful 1990's group,
C+C Music Factory.  But Wash found out rather harshly how people could be prejudice about her weight, when despite Wash clearly singing backup vocals, instead a super model was used in the C+C Music Factory whom lip-synched Wash's vocals.  Wash got mad and then sued, successfully, C+C Music Factory.

What happened after that is not clearly stated on VH1.  Although I thought I'd read recently that one of the Weather Girls recently passed away (but I could be wrong about that).

Also on "It's Raining Men", Wash & Rhodes do make fun of their weight, briefly, and that the men raining down was Mother Nature's way of helping single women of heftier portions.    (The line is, "God bless Mother Nature, she's a single women to." & earlier in the song during the beginning Wash and Rhodes sing to other women, "Girls {and they say under their breath who are hefty} have we got news for you:  Here's the weather forecast:")

Hope this helps and perhaps this is the song your mom is trying to find. 

Written By: robby76 on 08/14/05 at 2:27 am

Here's what I found, but neither are from the early 80's:-

Big Girls Walk Away - Steve Winwood

Big Girls are Best - U2

If not just google "lyric big girls".... there's a mountain to sift through!

Written By: katt72 on 08/14/05 at 11:12 am

http://www.lyricality.com/lyrics/y238z038

I ran into this site aboutBig Girl lyrics from "Yes" but it says it was 1980 it came out. I guess you can read them and see if they are them maybe ;)

Written By: kairi747 on 08/14/05 at 11:33 am

how about u2's big girls are best?  here's some lyrics:

As long as the night is colored
Blue and black
Oh yeah yeah yeah
As long as you're on your knees
And she's not on her back
Oh yeah yeah yeah

Avenue Atlantico
Seventeen-oh-two
She's coco butter
Baby, she's the glue

She's got the baby at her breast
She knows big girls are best

We sing it, we go, we go
Ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma
We gonna weigh in
Ma ma ma ma ma ma

I'm gonna change like the weather
Hot to cold
Oh yeah yeah yeah
She's keeps it all together
She's got the motherlode
Oh yeah yeah yeah

She feels it
Every sensation
She's got a smile
Like salvation
She's got a baby at her breast
She knows big girls are best

Oh Oh ma ma ma ma ma
Ma ma ma sexy ma ma mom se ma ma
Ma se ma ma mom
Se ma ma ma se ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma

She's ellipitical
Also political
All so spiritual
Not superficial
Yeah, she's tropical
Yes, she's illogical
Those little girls are a pest
Big girls are the best

Written By: CharlieBrown243 on 08/14/05 at 3:14 pm

Would you have any recollection of the lyrics?

I did ask her to "sing it to me ... we were chatting on msn" and silly me does not keep chat logs ... i will get onto her again this week and see if she knows any of the lyrics ... thing is, when the kids do this to me, it gets me going as well so now I want to know what the song is  :) as well ... the lyrics did not ring a bell with me when she quoted them to me
thanks for your reply
Charlie

Written By: CharlieBrown243 on 08/14/05 at 3:30 pm

I think after seeing all the replies to my message that it will be easier to answer with one message instead of individually .... thank you all for your help and suggestions ... most of them I had already tried (tis how I stumbled on this forum) .... did the google search, no, its not U2 ... Weather Girls "its raining men" was one I had to find for her about 12 months ago ... another of those "mum i remember this song but can't remember the name, etc."

I remember this particular compilation coming out ... each year they release these sorts of albums with the top songs for the year, etc.  and when the two girls were still at home I would buy them for them .... and of course I would listen to them over and over as they played them .... I remember some of the other songs on the tape, but am stuck on this one totally ... I have asked my other daughter and she is stuck as well ... so we really have a mild dilema  ;) but I am not a person to give up too easily

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions ... will try each and every one of them again

Ta
Charlie

Written By: CharlieBrown243 on 09/01/05 at 5:31 pm

I'm back .... these are some of the words as My daughter remembers them from the chorus ... she says she can't remember much more, but these words are stuck in her head  "big girls faces break up , a big girls faces break up no no , a big girls faces break oh oh faces break up good girl a big girls oh oh we will make a no no ... "

ta
Charlie

Written By: aussie 80s fan on 09/05/05 at 5:27 am

That song would be "Big Girls" by the Electric Pandas (1984).

It started with the lyrics:

Big girls, they face this break-up
Big girls, hey hey, we will make up no no
Ah Big girls, ah ah, face this break-up big girls
Big girls, oh oh, we will make up no no

The lead singers name was Lin Buckfield

It came in at #1960 on Triple M (Sydney/Melbourne) "Essential 2005" Countdown that was aired between Xmas and Australia Day earlier this year.

Check for new replies or respond here...