inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tell me your "secret songs" please...

Written By: SergioQ on 08/14/05 at 9:21 pm

Ok, we all have them.  Songs that we love, but would never ever ever want our friends to know that we like them.  Think that scene from Tommy Boy and you know what I mean.

Anyway, I need everyone's help here, and this is the perfect place.

For fun, I decided to take a survey of everyone's favorite "closet" songs. 

So please take the survey.  It's super quick, spam free!

And just as important, I want 100,000 entries.  I want the results to really reflect something.  So am begging you, please, pass the link along and help me on this personal quest.

Here is the link for the suvey:  http://www.fourgauchos.com/cgi-bin/survey_3.pl

Thank you all so much!

Sergio

Subject: Re: Tell me your "secret songs" please...

Written By: ADH13 on 08/14/05 at 9:28 pm

I don't ever pass on links, but I will give you my answer.

We Are The World - USA For Africa :)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 08/15/05 at 8:27 pm

ok i did your survey  :)

Written By: Atari on 08/16/05 at 7:15 am

Because others' opinions of my bad taste don't matter, here's mine:

Don't Talk To Strangers- Rick Springfield

:)

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/17/05 at 1:39 am

Sandra and Arabesque were my "closet artists", although my mother knows about Sandra's hit "Maria Magdelena", I never told her that I have many of her other songs and Arabesque's songs! I'll admit, "Maria Magdelena" started off as a guilty pleasure, but Sandra's other songs grew on me and now I'm a fan of her music and Arabesque's music!  :) :)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 08/17/05 at 11:29 am

I really don't have any "closet songs", because I really couldn't care what others think of my taste in music.  :)

Written By: zcrito on 08/17/05 at 4:08 pm

I really don't have any "closet songs", because I really couldn't care what others think of my taste in music.  :)

I thought I was the only one.  ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/25/05 at 8:17 pm

I have to agree with that... I guess it's not a question of embarrassment.. but more of songs that don't fit in the styles I usually like.

Another is Summertime, Summertime - Nocera

Written By: Phosis on 08/25/05 at 10:07 pm

Almost Paridise. . . .Anne Wilson and Mike Reno.

Help me, I'm a wreck :-[

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/27/05 at 7:45 pm

I dunno why others opinions still matter to me but I'll admit...

Company B's Fascinated is one I really love listening to. I always did love that song but would never admit it to anybody. I'd never have been able to live it down if any of my buddies found out.

Perfect Love is another one of their songs I'd secretly listen to.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 08/27/05 at 8:16 pm

The songs that I most often get called a "sick puppy", a "dag" or a "sad case" for putting on the jukebox at a club would be:

"Karma Chameleon" -Culture Club
"Video Killed The Radio Star" -The Buggles
"Freedom" -Wham!
Anything by KISS

But, I figure these songs would not be on the jukebox if I were the only one who still enjoyed them and they beat the crap out of most of what's in the top 20. Music is there for us to enjoy and I'll be damned if I let another person's opinion affect my enjoyment!

Written By: MarcDaShark on 08/27/05 at 8:39 pm

I was just about to say that "Karma Chameleon" is a bit of a catchy song.  "I'll Tumble For You" isn't that bad ether.  I don't usually listen to such music but for music that's a bit on the feminine side, I can appreciate those songs a little.  I don't really listen to any gay artists either.  I'm not homophobic or anything, but music that's sometimes girly just turns me off.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/05 at 7:48 am

I was just about to say that "Karma Chameleon" is a bit of a catchy song. "I'll Tumble For You" isn't that bad ether. I don't usually listen to such music but for music that's a bit on the feminine side, I can appreciate those songs a little. I don't really listen to any gay artists either. I'm not homophobic or anything, but music that's sometimes girly just turns me off.

Well yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to be caught listening to songs like that unless it was from really good friends or something (that's the textbook definition of a guilty pleasure song!). ;D

But I could care less if the singer is gay or straight - it's the song that counts IMO, though I kinda see your point too, LOL.

The only Culture Club song that I really like is "Karma Chameleon" - just really danceable and catchy, in the same vein as songs like "Wake me up Before You Go Go".

Their other stuff never much appealed to me - I also like Do You Really Want to Hurt Me, Time, and Miss me Blind, but not on a "repeat listen" basis.

Written By: MarcDaShark on 08/28/05 at 8:52 am

Yeah I don't really care if an artist is gay either.  I could be caught listening to Frankie, Giorgio Moroder, Soft Cell, Pet Shop Boys, all of which who are gay.  It's just that sometimes gay artists tend to make feminine music and girly music as a whole turns me off.  All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be caught dead listening to anything too poppy, dancey, girly, or too happy.  I'm more the person that is into serious music with more attitude.  Whether it be rock, rap, or hardcore electronica, I like it.

Written By: danieladreams on 08/28/05 at 3:03 pm

Sexy Girl- Glen Frey

Check for new replies or respond here...