inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember NEOPOLITAN gum??

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/16/05 at 9:59 pm

:D  Am I crazy..or Does anyone remember this gum??..It is very well possible that its from the 70s ...so bear with me..It was the stick chewing gum...the flavors were of course..Vanilla..Choc..and Strawberry..The sticks were divided equally in the pack..and..I think ..Maybe..there was a Zebra on the pack????????? I loved that gum!!! Does anyone remember it and have you seen it lately?..

Subject: Re: Remember NEOPOLITAN gum??

Written By: pell on 08/17/05 at 12:14 am

:D  Am I crazy..or Does anyone remember this gum??..It is very well possible that its from the 70s ...so bear with me..It was the stick chewing gum...the flavors were of course..Vanilla..Choc..and Strawberry..The sticks were divided equally in the pack..and..I think ..Maybe..there was a Zebra on the pack????????? I loved that gum!!! Does anyone remember it and have you seen it lately?..

I remember a gum with a Zebra on the pack, and I think it's still around. I can't remember if it was called Neopolitan, but that kind of sounds right.

Written By: pell on 08/17/05 at 12:18 am

Actually, the "zebra" gum is called "Fruit Stripe". It has different flavors, so maybe that's what you were thinking of.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/fruit-stripe-gum.htm

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/17/05 at 6:27 pm

;D  Yep..I remember the Fruit Stripe now..but the gum Im thinking about def had Vanilla..Choc..and Strawberry...........I want that gum!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Joe(inMO) on 08/24/05 at 10:18 pm

WOW- You are the first person to mention it in years. I've asked others about it over the years, but nobody remembers it but me! (I was beginning to think that I imagined it.) I don't remember what it was called. One encouraging sign is that, as of a few years ago I know they were still making Beechnut which harkens back to the same time frame (around 1975). One thing I think I remember about it was that the package had a little tree on it- kinda like the old Stix Baer and Fuller logo;but I could be wrong. If I get any leads I'll leave another post here .Thank you for your post- at least now I know I'm not crazy.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/25/05 at 2:33 am

:o Oh Joe!!!!!!!!!!!! So Im NOT crazy...LOL..............Yea.someone else remembers this gum....JOE..We are on a mission!!!  Find this Gum...yes we will!!!  Im still lookin..If you get any new INFO..E-Me... ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/25/05 at 4:01 am

Actually, the "zebra" gum is called "Fruit Stripe". It has different flavors, so maybe that's what you were thinking of.

I remember when Fruit Stripe came out, I use to say the word "Yipes" all the time because of it.. I love chewing it, but of course those flavors got stale in about 10 seconds.. so, I'd pop in another piece and collect a huge wad of sticky sugar tar in my mouth.

Written By: joe(inMO) on 08/25/05 at 12:53 pm

Me again. I did a little more snooping and I think I made some progress. The gum we're looking for is Adam's Ice Cream Flavored Gum (at least I'm fairly certain). Adams is the producer of Beemans, Black Jack, and Clove chewing gum. As recently as the 90's you could still buy Beemans, Black Jack, and Clove here in St. Louis at Walgreens. I bought some back then, but I havent bought any more in years. All three can be bought online. The tree logo I mentioned was NOT on the neopolitan gum as I thought, but on Teaberry gum which dates back to the same time and can also be purchased today. Teaberry was made by Clark(Brothers?). Clove is set to be discontinued soon.  Adams plans on rereleasing their Sour gum from that same time period. I do not remember such a product at all.  I found Adam's Ice Cream Flavored gum mentioned on a web site that talked about the food of the seventies. I could not find a photo of the package, a place to purchase, or even information as to whether this product is still produced.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/26/05 at 12:18 am

:Dthx joe.. I am still dreaming of that gum..I woke up today chewing on my pillow...LOL...sure didnt taste like choc.. ::)

Written By: joe (inMO) on 08/27/05 at 10:34 pm

Ok Green, now its my turn! Do you remember the candy UFO's that existed at about the same time as the Adam's Ice Cream Flavored gum? (They were my SECOND candy Holy Grail). They had a styrofoam-like quality and tasted something like an ice cream cone (just the cone itself). When you broke them open they contained little candy pellets/ball bearings. Well, I found them for sale online! They are usually referred to as satellite wafers. -I swear that I don't have a sweet tooth! (I just love the thrill of the hunt!)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/27/05 at 11:48 pm

::)I honestly dont remember the candy you are talking about...but sounds interesting...id like to try some!!

Written By: Adam on 09/18/05 at 11:01 pm

Adam's definitely had Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry Ice Cream flavored chewing gum in the '70s. I came across your e-mail chain while attempting to find another whacky flavor they did. I think it was wild berry or something. It definitely was not Teaberry. Teaberry is/was produced by Clark which has been bought out by NECCO (New England Confectionary Co). I can't even find Beeman's, Clove or Black Jack on the Cadbury/Adams web site. What kind of berry was that?

Written By: Scooby on 10/10/05 at 7:57 am

LOL Excellent thanks fo rthe link:

I was trying to remember the name of this gum this morning! LOL

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/11/05 at 1:07 am

8) OOBY OOBY Doo Weve Got Alot to do now....THX>>>> ;D

Written By: BCRichrocker on 10/11/05 at 2:14 pm

The "Neopolitan" gum sounds pretty cool and vaguely sounds familiar. What year(s) was it out? Fruit Stripe has been out many years (ever since I can remember as a child back in the 1970s) and I remember that gum well. In fact, my kids love it now.

Check this out:

http://www.farleysandsathers.com/Products.htm

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/05 at 10:40 pm

Hmmm...I couldn't find Neopolitan gum anywhere. 
Are you sure you're not confusing it with this dentition demolishing sticky cr@p:

NEAPOLITIAN CANDY
http://www.hometownfavorites.com/images/items/Large/hfca854.jpg

You can probably still find Neapolitan in your nearest Brach's bulk candy section.
Neapolitan refers to Naples.  There was supposedly something Italian about it.

I definitely remember
FRUIT STRIPE GUM
http://www.jamiegaines.com/stuff/fruit_stripe.jpg

Two chews = no flavor left
but we bought it anyway!
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...