inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Name for the 80's Generation

Written By: Adam on 08/17/05 at 12:21 pm

Hey

I'm looking for a bit of help....Is there a name for people from the 80's.  For example the 90's generation was called generation x.  Is there something like that for the 80's?

Thanks

Subject: Re: Name for the 80's Generation

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/18/05 at 2:50 am

Their name was the lucky generation. :D

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/18/05 at 6:06 pm

I thought we were Gen X? I used to hear "The ME generation" bandied about frequently.

:D I like The Lucky Generation...that works for me!

Written By: robby76 on 08/18/05 at 8:54 pm

Ooo weee, yes we were lucky indeed! Call it what you want, I was living it!

ps: 80's is Gen X I think and 90's is Gen Y... there's a whole thread somewhere that goes into it, you'll have to do a search at the top for Generation X.

Written By: OliverDK on 08/19/05 at 8:27 am

I like the name "Children of the 80s"

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/19/05 at 8:41 am

Generation X - at least its "main" years are people born roughly 1965-1980. If you spent a good portion of your childhood (under 12) or teenage years in the 80's, you're a Gen X-er.

Though I wasn't born until late 1981, I still consider myself to have more in common with that than my fellow "old Gen Y-ers".

Written By: rip_jeans on 08/24/05 at 4:34 am

Yuppies also come to mind as a name for the 80's generation. Although most people refer the 80's generation as Generation X.

Written By: Sarah G on 08/24/05 at 5:08 am

8)My teenage years was the 80's.  "DISCO'S WERE THE ONES".  So I belive the 80"s were Disco years.  What do you think?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/05 at 5:17 am

8)My teenage years was the 80's.  "DISCO'S WERE THE ONES".  So I belive the 80"s were Disco years.  What do you think?

First off, welcome on the board. :)

Disco's biggest years were roughly 1976-79, especially toward 76-77. Not sure exactly how old you are, but you probably can remember some of that from your childhood.

I'm a huge fan of everything 80's, so even though I wasn't around then, from what I've seen and observed, people started totally hating Disco when the 70's ended. A few songs, like "Celebration" from Kool & the Gang made it limp into 1981 but I'd say it was basically gone by the time 1980 started and revilled by 81.

However, I think Disco kinda helped set the stage for the dance music of the 80's - even if people then would've never been caught dead admitting it ('cause the styles and fashions became really embarassing by about 1981). ;D

Written By: OliverDK on 08/24/05 at 6:58 am

Here in Denmark the 80s generation are called - translated, of cause - the So-What? Generation, but unfortunetly it makes a bit more sense in danish, than it does in english and that's a first.

Check for new replies or respond here...