inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Newspapers

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/19/05 at 12:35 am

Does anyone know of a place on the internet, where you can view 80's newspapers?

Subject: Re: Newspapers

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/19/05 at 2:06 am

The only way I can view 1980's newspapers is through my college. If you have a student ID or know someone with one, you can use that to search databases online through the college/university.

Written By: OliverDK on 08/19/05 at 7:59 am

Just in case you can't find anything online, most major libraries where I live have old papers on microfilm, maybe it's the same thing where you live, it's worth checking out anyway.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/19/05 at 9:35 am

Maybe individual city papers are the way to go.

A few years back I was checking the San Jose Mercury News website which (at the time anyway) archived stuff as far back as 1985. If you didn't subscribe to it or something, I believe, they didn't let you view any more than the first paragraph of a given article.

Still though I remember spending, like, hours checking out developments on a couple local highways that were only recently built here in an already developed part San Jose back in the late 80s/early 90s -- Highways 85 and 87 (Ultraviolet, you might know what I'm referring to). :)

It drove me bazonkers that I couldn't see the full text, but at least it was enough to get the jist of what each one said.

Another related question: Not sure where these would be accessed, but I'd also love to see old articles on, say movie stars or other celebrities from the 80's. So many times on VH1's Behind the Music, for instace, they'll flash back to a clip of an old newspaper so I'll keep pausing the tape trying to read as much of it as possible! ;)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/20/05 at 2:23 am

Thanks everyone.

Written By: OliverDK on 08/20/05 at 6:54 am

Another related question: Not sure where these would be accessed, but I'd also love to see old articles on, say movie stars or other celebrities from the 80's. So many times on VH1's Behind the Music, for instace, they'll flash back to a clip of an old newspaper so I'll keep pausing the tape trying to read as much of it as possible! ;)

Try asking your mother, if she is anything like mine she'll have old numbers of her magazines lying in a box somewhere.

Check for new replies or respond here...