inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Write-In to MTV

Written By: OliverDK on 08/20/05 at 8:58 am

It seems we all liked MTV and think that the programs s**k now, okay let's change it; write e-mails or letters to MTV, asking them to have at least one program with music from the 70s and 80s, if enough people write them then MTV will at least test the idea, and the powers of the Internet will have been used for good.

Subject: Re: A Write-In to MTV

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/05 at 10:10 pm

Good idea. Nothing will change unless someone says something or tries to change it.

I've often thought about Emailing them just about the possibilty of trying, say, an 80's video block for ONE hour a week - maybe make it in the afternoon or late at night so it doesn't disturb the flow of regular programming.

PS: I don't think I've ever talked with anyone who DOES like MTV as a whole now! I'm sure they're around, but just as an example, I have a buddy whose younger sister (I think she's 13 or 14) hates it and is more into the 90's (not the 80s really much, but I'll work on that, hehe!).

Alot more "kids" seem to share her sentiment too from what I've observed.

I think they just keep with the same styles since they don't want to mess with a winning formula or take a chance.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/20/05 at 11:06 pm

8) I absolutely loved MTV..I was in Florida on vacation with the "Parents" when I first saw MTV..We were in Destin Fla.  the first vidieo was " Vidieo killed the radio star" ...But The first one I remember very well was "Hurts so Good" by John Cougar Mellancamp....When we got home my dad got cable and on my 13" in red TV I GOT MY MTV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. I was sooo happy ...MTV was the best.. you could Rock out and watch your Faves sing it too...The absolute best by far WAS.....HEADBANGERS BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Finally some cool As# Jam!! Yep..Retro..we need some old time 80s ..at LEAST..an hour or so BLOCK..just for us...IM IN...Where do I kick a## and take names??? 

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/05 at 11:37 pm

^ Stuff like that is exactly why my self-catchphrase often is that I was born 10-20 years too late. ;)

The "70s/80s transition period" of roughly 1979-81 just seemed to be sooo exciting when all the changes were going down. The dawning of the new decade's technology and styles, and of course MTV was right up there with that.

I get really nostalgic upon hearing "Video Killed the Radio Star" just thinking about the entering of a new age. I love John Cougar-Mellencamp too - been listening to him alot lately. I first saw the "Hurts So Good" video as a kid in the early 90s - split between riding around on motorcycles and dancing at, what looked like, a packed club with a stage if I remember right.

Now if I could just take my DeLorean and tape all that stuff as it was happening! 8)

I only have some vague memories of MTV in the 80s (my parents watched it on occasion) but I still feel like I know it all. I did watch VH1 from late 1990-1993 more though. They still showed mostly 80's videos and related programming then, so I guess that's why it never felt far away.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/21/05 at 1:09 am

Yes, I will sign!

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/21/05 at 7:35 am

:D  VIDEO..HMMMM..OK..GOT IT!!!.. I couldnt spell last nite..LOL>>>>>I dreamed about my MTV last nite...I remember the first "commercial" ...whatever..the moon thing..you all know it..I dont think I ever turned my TV off in the 80s...MTV was constant........it has gotten really bad to me now...I just recently realized that there are 2 MTV channels now..ev time I turn it on its some wierd band I dont even know..Or a STUPID reality show..........Give me a break!!! I have to admit tho..I watch PUNKD sometimes..BUT....I REALLY MISS THE OLD MTV..Guess now they should give us our own channell...MTV..THE BEGINNING OF A LEGEND..it really was..Before we all sat in front of our stereos and pictured the band...or remembered the concert we had been to the weekend before..BUT..when MTV came out you could LOOK and listen..Its funny now..I saw on this E show or something..the "artists" now specifically write songs that will make a good VIDEO..if you hear it on the radio..you wont "GET" the picture till you see the VIDEO..Remember when MUSIC was really MUSIC?????????????????????????????????????

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/21/05 at 7:40 am

:o I want my HEADBANGERS BALL!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: OliverDK on 08/21/05 at 9:40 am

I actually got the idea from my mother and her struggles in the late 60s and early 70s, they would organize a Write-In against politicians and businesses, okay this might not be as important as what they were trying to do back then, but if we get on the Ghost-chain and spread the word, getting more people on.

I think we should organize it a little before launging the Write-In, you can contact me by my e-mail but we all have lots of e-mails in our address-lists, getting as many people as possible involved, we then agree on a date and that day people from all over the world will begin writing e-mails and letters, sooner or later the powers-that-be at MTv will have to react, one way or another.

That's Cyber Power!!!

Written By: Skippy on 08/21/05 at 11:00 am

I just watch VH1 classic  ::)

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/21/05 at 11:12 am

VH1  ::)

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/21/05 at 11:20 am

OK we didn't have MTV in Australia but we had similar music video programs. My greatest music video memory from the 80s was seeing a Fastway film clip were they were robbing a bank or something & they had guitars that were machine guns. I can't remember which song it was because i only ever saw it once & it was so long ago, but i just remember involuntarily chuckling with glee & thinking this is fu*kin awesome.

Written By: tv on 08/22/05 at 12:44 am

I want to see an MTV that caters to music listeners of all tastes. All music deserves to be heard even bad music. I mean what would ESPN be if they didn't talk about Sports? MTV 2 needs to turn into old self of a few years ago. Even radio refuses to play songs if a particular song turns off younger listeners. MTV 2 used to be good now its just like MTV currently.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/22/05 at 10:20 am

I'd like to see MTV either do a retro thing on weekends (I WANT MY HEADBANGERS BALL too Green! :-)  ) that caters to the genres we knew growing up or do something with MTV 2 or start up another channel that is retro.

VH1 Classics is cool and I like how they have something for everyone but it's not the same. There's no history there, the format of the shows is not the same-it's not what we grew up with. At the very least, I wish MTV would license the Headbangers Ball name or something to VH1 'coz that cheesy into with the devil silhouette for Metal Mania has got to go  ;D That's horrible.

I'll certainly join in on a write in!

Written By: mary on 08/22/05 at 7:19 pm

yeah they don't even play music anymore i know u can make petitions online. i'll try to find it

Written By: mary on 08/22/05 at 7:25 pm

i found it here's the link  http://www.ipetitions.com/index.html maybe someone with good writing skills can start it off. :)

Written By: OliverDK on 08/23/05 at 4:41 am

maybe someone with good writing skills can start it off. :)

That's a good idea Mary, and since I make my living as a writer I'm pretty sure that I can come up with something good.

Written By: mary on 08/23/05 at 6:31 pm

hey thanks, i suck at that writing stuff, if i did it people would be like what the hell is she trying to say and her grammar is all wrong ::) lol

Written By: OliverDK on 08/28/05 at 7:05 pm

This is my first version of the petition, any comments will be appriciated.

I WANT MY MTV BACK

I consider myself a “Child of the 80s” so I belong to the generation who were lucky enough to actually witness the birth of MTV some two decades ago, in that time we have seen MTV go from being the coolest station in the history of television to becoming just another dime-a-dozen TV-station, from showing the best and the coolest videos around to featuring nothing but reality shows and the same ten-fifteen music videos that we have already seen like a thousand times over.

It seems to me that the Powers-That-Be at MTV have decided that shows – which have nothing to do with music – like “Newly Weds”, “Punk’d” and “Room Raiders” are the way to go, in doing so it seems to me that the Powers-That-Be have turned their backs on the very concept by which MTV was founded; to create the world’s only TV-station featuring only music and music-related programs.

As we all know MTV is supposed to stand for Music Television, and I do remember when that was a fitting description of what the station were all about, but somewhere along the way that somehow changed, what made that change happen I do not know but I would like very much to see MTV go back to actually living up to the name, and I’m pretty sure that many others around the world feel the same way.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/30/05 at 4:09 am

8)  Retro..Good..I agree with all you said but..I think we need to specifiy...the MTV we want.. you know when it first started..In the 80s..thats the one we want...in the late 80s..early 90s it got to diff kinds of music... I remember all of a sudden it was mostly Rap-breakdance music...the other wierd stuff...No harm intended but..I want my original MTV....say 82..( I think thats when it started..)..to say..1987..88??  I guess they should have blocks of time periods...for each genre...cause I do want my headbangers ball..and I know ev one wasnt into that... but I loved the other stuff as well...I agree too that the mtv now is NOT..MUSIC TELEVISION...what the heck do shows like Punkd and the Surreal Life...have to do with MUSIC???  Yep...I want my ORIGINAL...MTV!!!!!!1

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/30/05 at 11:22 am

I want my MTV from 1982 - 1994. That being said, it has to include every genre of music. Let us not forget that MTV wasn't playing every artist or genre. They were very discriminatory until 1983!

Check for new replies or respond here...