inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MAGNUM PI

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/21/05 at 3:37 pm

BEST SHOW OF THE 80s HANDS DOWN was MAGNUM PI

Subject: Re: MAGNUM PI

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 5:26 pm

I certainly enjoyed it for what it was. It certainly had it's place in time.  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/21/05 at 6:03 pm

It was one of my favorite shows back then.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/21/05 at 10:26 pm

I have the DVDS of Magnum PI & i can't agree with you totally that it was "hands down" the best show in the 80s. There were soooooo many great shows in the 80s & yes Magnum PI was one of my many favourites but on a scale i wouldn't say it was the best or my very favourite. To be honest i couldn't say which show was & if i were to make a comment such as that i'd have to try & go through & think of all the shows i ever watched from the decade & have a really good think about it. I like the opening credits to Magnum PI, when i got the DVDs i hadn't seen the show since it was on TV in the 80s & when i heard the music in the opening credits i cracked up laughing. Man that funky guitar is soooooo funny, not to mention the images that accompany it. That opening sequence is so delightfully cheesy that it just evokes invulntary chuckles when i see it, i love it. :)

Written By: robby76 on 08/22/05 at 12:34 am

Magnum was great, but there were greater more consistent shows. A-Team comes to mind. MacGyver was but once it hit 88/89 it started getting tired. Airwolf was okay in the early seasons too, as was Knight Rider. These 5 shows really are interconnected. You never hear of one without the other being mentioned at some point.

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/22/05 at 7:08 am

mac guyver suc ks compared to magnum :( so does a-team. Ill stick with sellek

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/22/05 at 9:10 am

No way dude. A-team had so much more likable characters, as opposed to Magnum, his pompas buttler style character of a friend that he lived with (who hit a bad guy on the show once & the bad guy didn't even flinch) & his other friend the black guy that piloted the chopper. Anyway this is a retarded & childish argument. I enjoy seeing them all as grew up with all the shows & to argue that one is better than another is pointless & stupid. The only point i was trying to make is that TV was quite decent & at least watchable back then & there were so many good shows it's just impossible to say one particular show was the best. Besides a lot of people are bound to disagree with you & does make them wrong, hell no because it's only the best by your oppinion. Anyway by saying only one & only one show is the best is a bit limited & limiting to me. One thing i know for sure though is that i enjoyed A-team a lot more than Magnum PI but i liked them both.  I also liked Hill Street Blues & 21 Jump Street & about 20 or more other shows though, but i'm not about to say one of them is hands down the best out of all of them, it's pointless.

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/23/05 at 9:14 am

dude this wasnt started to make arguments its just oppinions  ???  its ok just a few deep breaths and itll be fine

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/23/05 at 1:38 pm

LOL ooooooooooooooook ::)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/23/05 at 11:11 pm

;D OK..Magnum was pretty cool...He was the finest guy on TV with a Mustache..LOL...no..really I liked the show..you guys CRACK me up!!!  Macgyver..well....any guy that can make a bomb with a stick and a rock is Bada**!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Really ..magnum was all around Suave and cool...But for real tho...Macgyver could do ANYTHING...with anything he had available..LOL!!!!!!!!!!!  " Wait..men..we have some silly putty and some string..and some wood...and....a TARP!!..OMG..we can get off this mountain!! ILL make a Glider!!!...Ta DA DA....Were Saved...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Written By: Sarah G on 08/24/05 at 5:34 am

8)When I think back to the 80's Magnum PI was on my must watch list and amongst other programs.  I was only about 10 I think?  Any way Magnum PI was and still is a cool program.  I think I watched it about 5 yrs ago when one of the tv channels was running reruns.  Yes in New Zealand when there's a time slot that needs filling 80's programs are run.  About 3wks ago Knight Rider was on.  I watched a bit of it to see if I still liked it like I did back then but No I'm afraid that I must have grown up :\'(Cheers Guys!

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/24/05 at 7:03 am

yup sellek was a classy guy

Written By: raggtoppz on 08/30/05 at 8:04 pm

i grew up watching Magnum PI. i remember watching it faithfully at 10, 11 years old. my parents had no problem with the show. there was never sex. the only time they showed Magnum in bed (fully clothed) was when he found out his wife was still alive. kids can't wtch tv dramas like that today. i spent years recording old re-runs. it took me over 5 years in the 90's, but i have them all!!  i have over 25 tapes chuck full of Magnum's. that was before they started putting old tv show on DVD"S!!!!  oh well. go 80's!!!!!!!!!  8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/30/05 at 11:19 pm

;D I was being a little silly...Magnum was really cool...My parents were faithful watchers..My dad started wearing hawaiian shirts and grew a mustache...mom told him to get over it...( he did the DON Johnson thing too from Miami Vice..to this day he still wears NO socks...).....But..I really did like Tom Selleck...he was very Cool..Sexy...and I really liked him in 3 men and a baby and Quigly (?) down under...

Check for new replies or respond here...