inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Comeback 80's Songs by 60's/70's Artists

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/24/05 at 7:51 am

Some of the artists in this poll had never really gone away, while other faded into oblivion for a while and then came back in the 80's with at least one huge hit.  There are probably many more examples that other people might think of that aren't on this list.

I like all these songs, but my votes go to 'Kokomo' by The Beach Boys and 'You Got It' by Roy Orbison.  :)

Subject: Re: Best Comeback 80's Songs by 60's/70's Artists

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 08/24/05 at 3:44 pm

Other: Queen -I Want It All

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/05 at 4:45 pm

Cool topic.

Of the ones on your list, I like "You Got it", Kokomo" "What's Love Got to Do With it" and "Let's Dance" the best. I voted for the latter as a fave - that's how I was introduced to David Bowie.

I know a ton of other good ones too, just off the top of my head:

Hard to Say I'm Sorry - Chicago
Dude Looks Like a Lady - Aerosmith
Centerfield - John Fogerty
We Built this City - Starship
Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead
Legs - ZZ Top
Just Another Night - Mick Jagger
The Flame - Cheap Trick
I Just Called to Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder
Boys of Summer - Don Henley

Written By: 90s boy on 08/24/05 at 6:29 pm

I'll go with What Have I Done to Deserve This? - The Pet Shop Boys w/Dusty Springfield Ive seen the video before Dusty Springfield has that house wife from hell look in that video from what i remember what year did this song come out in I'm guessing somewhere between 1986 to 1988

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/05 at 6:34 pm

I'll go with What Have I Done to Deserve This? - The Pet Shop Boys w/Dusty Springfield Ive seen the video before Dusty Springfield has that house wife from hell look in that video from what i remember what year did this song come out in I'm guessing somewhere between 1986 to 1988

Hey, if that's what I'm thinking of, I absolutely LOVE that song (despite only being a very casual fan of theirs)! :)  I always thought it was called "How am I Gonna Get Through."

Yeah, it sounds very 1987-ish to me. I think I vaguely recall it from that time too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/24/05 at 7:47 pm

Hey, if that's what I'm thinking of, I absolutely LOVE that song (despite only being a very casual fan of theirs)! :)  I always thought it was called "How am I Gonna Get Through."

Yeah, it sounds very 1987-ish to me. I think I vaguely recall it from that time too.

I recently rediscovered the Pet Shop Boys w/Dusty Springfield "What Have I done to Deserve This?" and I couldn't stop listening to it for days.. I forgot how good of a song it was. But, yes, she does look WAY overdone in the video. To me that is a real comeback because she hadn't had any hits since the 1960's.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/25/05 at 1:53 am

I'm not voting for any of those LOL.
You forgot one huge comeback song in 1989 from a 70s artist. Poison by Alice Cooper. He was still around in the 80s, but it wasn't till  that song & that album that he had an official comeback into popularity & into the mainstream eye & out of almost what you could call obscurity. He suddenly became as popular again as he was in the 70s.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/25/05 at 2:16 am

Actually the David Bowie one aint to bad

Written By: 90s boy on 08/25/05 at 3:38 am

maby it was 88 ido like theh song though

Written By: 90s boy on 08/25/05 at 3:43 am

I recently rediscovered the Pet Shop Boys w/Dusty Springfield "What Have I done to Deserve This?" and I couldn't stop listening to it for days.. I forgot how good of a song it was. But, yes, she does look WAY overdone in the video. To me that is a real comeback because she hadn't had any hits since the 1960's.

do u have any idea when this song came out im hoeping it was 88 the year i waz born

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/25/05 at 3:57 am

That, I can confirm, 90's boy, was a hit in 1988  ;D

Written By: _adam_ on 08/25/05 at 5:36 am

Aerosmith(with Run DMC) -Walk this way

Written By: Atari on 08/28/05 at 5:25 am

Big Bottom by Spinal Tap

Anyone who has seen the movie wlll understand :)

Written By: zcrito on 08/28/05 at 2:28 pm

Everyone is listing some good examples.

Some I like that can be considered comeback songs

Let`s Stay Together -- Tina Turner (this remake was really her comeback song in the '80s. It's not a bad cover too)
Lady (You Bring Me Up) -- The Commodores
Run Runaway -- Slade
Treat Her Like a Lady -- Temptations
Owner of a Lonely Heart -- Yes

Stevie Wonder did have some other good songs in the early '80s - "That Girl", "Lately", "All I Do" and "Overjoyed".

All those songs by Foreigner in the '80s like "I Don`t Want To Live Without You".

Even though his "Off the Wall" album came out in 1979, can Michael Jackson be considered a comeback in the '80s?

Written By: Wacky Packages on 08/28/05 at 3:42 pm

I voted for other, because my favorite comeback wasn't on the list.

And I wonder how many people remember this comeback from 1981?:

And that would be from the Scottish singer known as Lulu.

Lulu of course is best remembered for her performance in the 1967 film  "To Sir, With Love" (starring Sidney Poitier), and also took that theme song to #1 in the fall of that year.  But she had a comeback the year I graduated (this was her first record she recorded since 1976 and also the first hit she had since 1970) and that was a song I do believe made it #18 on the charts:

I Could Never Miss You (More That I Do)

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/29/05 at 7:40 am

I voted for other, because my favorite comeback wasn't on the list.

And I wonder how many people remember this comeback from 1981?:

And that would be from the Scottish singer known as Lulu.

Lulu of course is best remembered for her performance in the 1967 film  "To Sir, With Love" (starring Sidney Poitier), and also took that theme song to #1 in the fall of that year.  But she had a comeback the year I graduated (this was her first record she recorded since 1976 and also the first hit she had since 1970) and that was a song I do believe made it #18 on the charts:

I Could Never Miss You (More That I Do)

I remember that song, though I haven't heard it in almost 25 years - for a long time I thought it was sung by another one-name artist, Sylvia (who had that big hit in '82 called 'Nobody')

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/05 at 1:39 pm

I said "Other"-Tina Turner "What's Love Got to Do With It."

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 08/29/05 at 11:53 pm

Actually, to be true to this poll, I would have to vote for:

Touch Of Gray    Gratefull Dead

This is actually ironic, since Touch Of Gray was the only "top 10 hit" that the Dead ever had!  (I may be wrong, but I think it was the only time they ever broke into the "top 40")

I can't think of a group which was so unsuccessfull when it came to record sales, yet had such a fan base.  I guess none of their fans ever actually bought their records.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/30/05 at 11:25 am

Marvin Gaye and Tina Turner get my votes! I wouldn't call David Bowie a comeback artist b/c he was still continously making music. He hadn't disappeared and then returned in a big way.

Written By: Bobby on 08/30/05 at 1:19 pm

I picked 'You got it' (was that posthumous?). I know Roy Orbison was a member of 'The Travelling Wilbury's before he died.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/31/05 at 6:19 pm

I picked 'You got it' (was that posthumous?). I know Roy Orbison was a member of 'The Travelling Wilbury's before he died.

Good question. I'm not sure - he died in December 1988, and I'm pretty sure "You Got it" was a hit in early 1989. At the time of his death, I believe he had just finished the album it was on. I like that one though, it's catchy and one of those songs where it sounds '80s but more in a subtle way. Reminds me of Tom Petty's "Learning to Fly" (not surprising since they were both a member of the Travelling Wilburys).

Written By: rip_jeans on 09/01/05 at 8:00 am

Although, not one of my favorite comeback song from a 60's or 70's artist, it is a sizzling video for those who saw it growing up. It was Cher's - If I Could Turn Back Time.

As far as the best comback song for me, it's a tie between What Have I Done To Deserve This by Pet Shop Boys with Dusty Springfield and Poison by Alice Cooper.

Written By: Jack Black on Crack on 09/01/05 at 9:08 pm

Kokomo by the Beach Boys wasn't really a comeback tune, but nonetheless it was still an excellent tune  :)

The Beach Boys had 10 hits in the 80's, 5 of which reached the top 40:  Come Go With Me (1981), The Beach Boys Medley (1981), Getcha Back (1985), Wipeout (1987) and Kokomo (1988)  :)

Written By: pumbaaj on 09/02/05 at 8:55 am

"What About Love?" by Heart.    They were a 70's group that went through a lull period.  "How Can I Refuse? and "Allies" were released before this song, but they didn't make it to the Top 40.  I think this song also marked the debut of Ann Wilson's new figure.  ;)
Wes

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/02/05 at 3:00 pm

Other: Love & Mercey by the brains of the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson. Released in 1988, the "Beach Boys" found out about his LP and quickly threw "Kokomo" together ::) I also picked another "Other" Everything by the J. Giels Band who hadn't had much succes since 1973's "Give It To Me" but released TWO awesome LP's in the 80's. Love Stinks from 1980 and Freeze Frame from 1981, they both spawned a few hits and I actually like both albums in thier entirety :)

Written By: rip_jeans on 09/29/05 at 3:03 am

Surprise nobody has mentioned Blondie.

Written By: bruce on 12/28/05 at 8:44 pm

Knockin at  Your Back Door  by DEEP PURPLE  im not sure if thats the song title Iknow they put out an album in 85  or 86  it was a hard rockin album but sadly my cassette broke years ago

Written By: TheRemf on 12/28/05 at 10:42 pm

I don't know whether "Sharp Dressed Man" or "Legs" would be considered the comeback song, but you cannot deny ZZ Top made a strong comeback in the early to mid 80s.  They were one of the few 70s bands that made a good transition into video.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/28/05 at 11:36 pm

Monkees fan, i was a kid when they came on, how was i supposed to know they didn't play their own instruments?  But they came back, and the song was catchy. forever a fan.
That was Then, This Is Now. but a pretty sucky video, weren't they thawed out with hair blow dryers??

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/29/05 at 2:05 pm

This is a tough one, but ultimately I had to vote for the incomporable Tina Turner, who truly defined the word comeback with her miraculous return to superstardom in the 1980s...

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/07 at 1:32 am

My favourite comeback hit of the 80s was 'Just Like You' by FM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqFFbmbQqY

http://www.thebandfm.com/Storage/8/275_FM_000_r4_c2.jpg

FM were a late 70s Progressive Rock band from Canada led by very mysterious Nash the Slash.  Following their successful 1977 debut 'Black Noise', Nash left for a solo career and though the band went on with a few forgotten albums, they called it quits in the early 80s.  A few years after, Nash enlisted the help of his former bandmates to appear on his 1984 solo album 'American Bandages'.  This album led to the reformation of FM, which resulted in 2 albums and 5 hit singles, the biggest if which was 'Just Like You' which scraped into the Canadian Top 40 in 1985

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_%28Canadian_band%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_the_Slash

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/21/07 at 2:05 am

Haven't looked through this thread, so don't know if this one's been mentioned .. but certainly impressive I reckon (currently listening to )...

'Being with you' by Smokey Robinson. His day looked to be over in the Uk, with his last top 20 hit there being in 1971 (I don't blame you at all).

The UK public liked 'Being with you' enough to make it #1, in 1981 ... so a pretty impressive comeback, I reckon, I reckon !

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/21/07 at 4:30 am

While we're on the subject in general, does anyone agree there seemed to be a higher percentage of '80s hits from older artists that had their roots some years before, than in any other era? The '90s had it quite a bit too, but from what I know and the pieces I remember from that time, the comeback songs seemed a little more widespread and definitely "cooler" in the '80s.

One thing about Eighties music that I always liked was that it really seemed designed for pretty much everyone to be able to enjoy it. The popular stuff definitely had a safe, clean cut feel. In retrospect it was pretty easy for artists to keep up with the times. All you had to do to "go '80s" was shoot a few music vidoes, add some synthesizers and a slick production, and you pretty much had the formula right there. Yet there was still alot of variety too. I'm not sure if they did this in order to get on the radio and MTV, or if they got airplay because of their accessible sound, but it worked.

Do you think that's why so many of those middle aged artists were able to make such successful comebacks? Heck, some of their '80s songs were even MORE popular and identified with them than their original stuff! Like "We Built This City".

Check for new replies or respond here...