inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember Banquet Boiling Bags?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/26/05 at 5:53 pm

Does anyone remember these? They were made by Banquet Foods. You could get either a piece of turkey or BBQ beef. It would be one piece of meat with gravy in a plastic bag and you would boil the bag to cook it. It only took a few minutes. After it was cooked, I would pour the contents of the bag over a piece of bread. Yummy! These might have originated in the 1970's, I'm not sure. I remember them from the early to mid 80's, and all of a sudden they disappeared. Banquet still makes TV dinners and pot pies, but its been 20 years since I've seen a boiling bag.

Subject: Re: Remember Banquet Boiling Bags?

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/27/05 at 7:36 pm

I vaguely remember those but my roomie has boil in a bag rice. Does that count? I only remember Green Giant vegetable boil in a bag veggie side sidses.

Written By: PATRICIA BROOKS on 03/25/13 at 11:19 am

Those boil in bags were great and you could fix one in a matter of minutes

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/25/13 at 9:07 pm

Does anyone remember these? They were made by Banquet Foods. You could get either a piece of turkey or BBQ beef. It would be one piece of meat with gravy in a plastic bag and you would boil the bag to cook it. It only took a few minutes. After it was cooked, I would pour the contents of the bag over a piece of bread. Yummy! These might have originated in the 1970's, I'm not sure. I remember them from the early to mid 80's, and all of a sudden they disappeared. Banquet still makes TV dinners and pot pies, but its been 20 years since I've seen a boiling bag.

The timeframe between "TV dinners" (in aluminum trays), "boil in bag" (what you describe), and "TV dinners" (in microwave safe trays) was very narrow.

Boil-in-bag was faster than reheating in a conventional oven and cheaper on packaging costs, but it was just dumb luck that plastic bags that could (a) be boiled, (b) be frozen, and (c) be almost guaranteed not to leak after being shipped to the supermarket and hauled home by the consumer... came out shortly before the microwave oven (and microwave-safe plastic/cardboard containers) rendered them obsolete.

Written By: Laj on 05/29/13 at 2:23 pm

8)

I remember them from the 60's and 70s'. they ahd turkey, chicken, roast beef, bb beef. the gravy was good but meat was sometimes tough. they were 12 cents at one time.

Written By: zcrito on 05/29/13 at 6:32 pm

Yes, I remember the roast beef ones.
I'll look the next time I'm at the store to see if they still make 'em.

Check for new replies or respond here...