inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who Loved The Game Show "Double Dare??"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/05 at 9:32 pm

I used to love to watch "Double Dare" on Nickelodeon all the time! Remember some of the goofy prizes they would win..... a pair a British Knights (BK) shoes, an awesome computer system, sometimes a trip to Space Camp...etc.  I used to always want to be on that show...have any of you ever been contestants on the show?

Erin :)

Subject: Re: Who Loved The Game Show "Double Dare??"

Written By: pell on 08/27/05 at 2:08 am

I used to watch it, too. It came on around the same time as "You Can't Do That on Television" which I also watched a lot.

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/27/05 at 8:57 am

DOUBLE DARE WAS THE SECOND BEST SHOW EVER (magnum pi is first)

Written By: Bobby on 08/27/05 at 10:49 am

I used to watch an 80s/very early 90s kids show called 'Double Dare' as part of the Saturday morning show 'Going Live'. It featured loads of gunge and that but most definitely something totally different to what you guys are talking about.  :)

I just found out it was adapted from the show you guys are talking about.  :)

http://www.ukgameshows.com/index.php/Double_Dare

Written By: robby76 on 08/27/05 at 11:14 am

I watched the US version (which started in 1986) before moving to the UK in 1989. I liked it as a kid, but when I watched the UK version I think I was a little too old for gunging  ;D I remember the UK host was a riot though! Was his name Simon or something?

ps: yeah Peter Simon, just looked at your link Bobby.

Written By: Bobby on 08/27/05 at 12:20 pm

I watched the US version (which started in 1986) before moving to the UK in 1989. I liked it as a kid, but when I watched the UK version I think I was a little too old for gunging  ;D I remember the UK host was a riot though! Was his name Simon or something?

ps: yeah Peter Simon, just looked at your link Bobby.

Peter Simon was great. Very over-the-top and would always get gunged himself in the end.  ;D

They changed it to 'Run the Risk' later on and it just wasn't the same at all.

Written By: nally on 08/27/05 at 12:40 pm

I enjoyed the game show "Double Dare" (aka "Super Sloppy Double Dare" in 1989). Since it was a kid-oriented show, and I was a kid back then, I enjoyed watching it. The bonus round featured a sticky obstacle course, which featured eight obstacles, which the winning team would try to complete in one minute or less.

In fact, I just watched an episode of it on the Nick GAS channel last night. It brought back memories for me.

Written By: zazzlez on 08/27/05 at 2:59 pm

I loved double dare..Did you ever notice that Mark Summers would never get dirty and would freak out if someone tried to get stuff on him!!

Written By: nally on 08/27/05 at 3:12 pm

No... but I think it happened to Harvey the announcer once. :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/27/05 at 3:54 pm

I saw it a couple of times, it was a pretty good show.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/28/05 at 1:08 am

I loved double dare..Did you ever notice that Mark Summers would never get dirty and would freak out if someone tried to get stuff on him!!

I saw an interview of him one time and he admitted to having OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), and it would literally drive him crazy if he got dirty in any way.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/29/05 at 2:59 pm

I looooveed that song. I even tried to make my own obstacle course.

Written By: gemini on 08/29/05 at 3:35 pm

I saw an interview of him one time and he admitted to having OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), and it would literally drive him crazy if he got dirty in any way.

He's on the Food Network now, doing the Food Unwrapped show. I remember watching Double Dare with my girls. It was a fun show!  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/29/05 at 8:52 pm

He's on the Food Network now, doing the Food Unwrapped show. I remember watching Double Dare with my girls. It was a fun show!  :)

oh I LOVE that Unwrapped show...it is so awesome!!

Written By: gemini on 08/29/05 at 9:11 pm

oh I LOVE that Unwrapped show...it is so awesome!!

Me too! I love watching how they make certain kinds of candy and stuff.  8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/29/05 at 9:59 pm

Me too! I love watching how they make certain kinds of candy and stuff.  8)

yes, it brings back many childhood memories!

Written By: nally on 08/30/05 at 1:42 pm

He also hosted a short-lived game show on GSN a couple years back, "WinTuition" (2002-03); I liked that show.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/31/05 at 2:07 pm

My mom, brother, and I would all watch it in the evening at it's original air time. They had several family shows like that around that hour (I believe it was between 5:30-7pm). We even had the Double Dare game at home, but it wasn't quite as cool as the show.

Written By: nally on 08/31/05 at 2:15 pm

My mom, brother, and I would all watch it in the evening at its original air time. They had several family shows like that around that hour (I believe it was between 5:30-7pm). We even had the Double Dare game at home, but it wasn't quite as cool as the show.

I agree with you totally about the home game. I got it for Christmas in '88, but it wasn't nearly as cool as the show.

Another kid-oriented game show that was on at the time was "Fun House"; it premiered in the late 80's, I believe, and ended in the early 90's. Anyone remember that show?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/31/05 at 3:34 pm

I agree with you totally about the home game. I got it for Christmas in '88, but it wasn't nearly as cool as the show.

Another kid-oriented game show that was on at the time was "Fun House"; it premiered in the late 80's, I believe, and ended in the early 90's. Anyone remember that show?

Yes, I couldn't remember the name of that one, but I liked that one (Fun House) too. I think some blond guy hosted that one..

Written By: nally on 08/31/05 at 3:35 pm

Yes, I couldn't remember the name of that one, but I liked that one (Fun House) too. I think some blond guy hosted that one..

J.D. Roth was the guy's name. He later co-hosted "Sex Wars", a show that was on in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/31/05 at 3:40 pm

J.D. Roth was the guy's name. He later co-hosted "Sex Wars", a show that was on in the late 90's/early 2000's.

That's it! I totally remember him now. Remembering his name really helped. Thanx Nally! I do remember that short lived game show, Sex Wars, but not too much. I could've sworn he hosted another show on the Animal Channel, yet I may have him mistaken with another blond guy.

Written By: nally on 08/31/05 at 3:41 pm

That's it! I totally remember him now. Remembering his name really helped. Thanx Nally! I do remember that short lived game show, Sex Wars, but not too much. I could've sworn he hosted another show on the Animal Channel, yet I may have him mistaken with another blond guy.

Perhaps. I'm not sure about the animal show.. :-\\

Jeff

Written By: Patrick Bateman on 08/31/05 at 11:50 pm

Who Loved The Game Show "Double Dare??"

Guilty as charged. I loved Double Dare.

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/05 at 11:32 am

I never got Double Dare with my cable system  :\'(  I do remember other kid related Game Shows like "Fun House", "Kidstreet" and that one where the kids would have to run through a maze sticking video game boxes to their velcro suit, and slide down a tunnel

There was a short-lived Game Show in 1977 called Double Dare, hosted by Alex Trebek

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/02/06 at 11:55 pm

I used to love to watch "Double Dare" on Nickelodeon all the time! Remember some of the goofy prizes they would win..... a pair a British Knights (BK) shoes, an awesome computer system, sometimes a trip to Space Camp...etc.  I used to always want to be on that show...have any of you ever been contestants on the show?

I remember Double Dare!! My lil brother <hes 29 now> OUCH! loved that show.. I only liked the end with the course they had to do, i still see the show sometimes on Nick GAS late at night and I still watch the end and root for the families... the prizes really date the show.. LOL.. Bks.. Ha ha.. I remember them, do they even make them still?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/03/06 at 8:46 pm

I remember Double Dare!! My lil brother <hes 29 now> OUCH! loved that show.. I only liked the end with the course they had to do, i still see the show sometimes on Nick GAS late at night and I still watch the end and root for the families... the prizes really date the show.. LOL.. Bks.. Ha ha.. I remember them, do they even make them still?

yes, it is hilarious to see all of the prizes! How about the mini-van they would give away on Family Double Dare....it was complete with wood paneling!! ;D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/03/06 at 10:50 pm

yes, it is hilarious to see all of the prizes! How about the mini-van they would give away on Family Double Dare....it was complete with wood paneling!! ;D
Oh I know Erin... EWWW... that wood paneling was the Worst... Reminds me of the Brady Bunch!

Written By: nally on 06/25/09 at 1:56 pm

There was a short-lived Game Show in 1977 called Double Dare, hosted by Alex Trebek

Yes, and it was a completely different program. I saw some eps from it on GSN about a year or so ago. It was kind of an interesting show.

Written By: Dude111 on 06/28/09 at 5:27 pm

Good game indeed!!

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/29/09 at 6:27 pm

I was a huge fan of Double Dare too. I have no idea which of my friends I'd have chosen as my teammate, but I wanted to be a contestant in the worst way! I mean, what 12-year-old wouldn't want to win a Disney vacation for his family? That was usually the grand prize at the end of the obstacle course in early seasons. 'The Sundae Slide' looked like a blast to try, but I hated the '1-Ton Human Hamster Wheel', it always looked impossible to me. Anyone remember some of the other challenges in the course?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: ralfy on 08/16/16 at 11:55 am

"Double Dare: Nickelodeon Show Revived for 30th Anniversary at Comic-Con"

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/double-dare-nickelodeon-show-revived-30th-anniversary-comic-con/

Written By: Howard on 08/16/16 at 1:58 pm

"Double Dare: Nickelodeon Show Revived for 30th Anniversary at Comic-Con"

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/double-dare-nickelodeon-show-revived-30th-anniversary-comic-con/

Wow, 30 years already?  :o

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/16/16 at 5:56 pm

That show was my life. I was in love with Marc Summers, I desperately wanted to go on the show My best friend actually attended a taping when she and her little brother were kids. I'm so jealous.

Written By: nally on 08/16/16 at 6:22 pm

I was a huge fan of Double Dare too. I have no idea which of my friends I'd have chosen as my teammate, but I wanted to be a contestant in the worst way! I mean, what 12-year-old wouldn't want to win a Disney vacation for his family? That was usually the grand prize at the end of the obstacle course in early seasons.

I'm not sure which friend I would have chosen to go on the show with me, but I bet it would've been fun. The prizes seemed like fun to me too.

'The Sundae Slide' looked like a blast to try, but I hated the '1-Ton Human Hamster Wheel', it always looked impossible to me. anyone remember some of the other challenges in the course?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

I remember a few. There was one really hard obstacle in which a flag would be hidden within an array of falling plastic balls; that was super challenging. It was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. (Can't find of a picture of it online anywhere, at the moment.)

Edit: The name of this particular obstacle, by the way, was "Time's Running Out!"

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/16/16 at 8:26 pm

I loved Double Dare growing up, as I did pretty much all Nickelodeon game shows back in the day (GUTS, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Nick Arcade, etc.).

Actually, I attended a taping of an episode of Double Dare at Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando when my parents went there on vacation back in the '90s. That was a pretty cool experience. 8)

Written By: nally on 08/16/16 at 11:05 pm

Actually, I attended a taping of an episode of Double Dare at Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando when my parents went there on vacation back in the '90s. That was a pretty cool experience. 8)

Oh, nice! I bet you enjoyed that. O0

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/17/16 at 6:47 am

I enjoyed it so much I even made up a mini-obstacle course every morning when I was in second grade while waiting for the bus. I also remember hoping for new episodes for years after the final episode in 1993, only to be disappointed that there wouldn't be another until 2000. I still like watching it today for nostalgia and all the memories it brings back when Nickelodeon was truly the #1 network for kids.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/16 at 7:52 am

That show was my life. I was in love with Marc Summers, I desperately wanted to go on the show My best friend actually attended a taping when she and her little brother were kids. I'm so jealous.

Was your friend a part of the show?

Check for new replies or respond here...