inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Bon Jovi

Written By: bigmark35 on 08/30/05 at 5:18 pm

So I have been seeing the new Bon Jovi video on VH1 a lot lately and I must admit that I really like the song. I have always been a fan of their older stuff, I mean who doesn't like Livin on a Prayer, but I think that this new song is sweet. I think that it is pretty impressive that these guys are still rocking and making hit songs unlike so many other bands. I found a link for the single Have a Nice Day. Check it out and tell me what you think.

*link deleted by moderator*

Subject: Re: New Bon Jovi

Written By: Acipiss on 09/03/05 at 10:08 pm

I really like those guys up until the Keep The Faith album. After that, they slid downhill big time.

Written By: kairi747 on 09/04/05 at 2:31 am

i think have a nice day sounds SOOO much like it's my life.

Written By: migi on 09/04/05 at 7:31 am

Have a nice day is really good!!!
I've been a Jovi fan for 19 years now and I'm gonna buy the new album also. Bon Jovi never fails.

Written By: Acidpiss on 09/04/05 at 8:49 am

I love every song off of the self-titled album. I liked three songs off of Fahrenheit. I love every song off of Slippery When Wet. I love roughly 90% of New Jersey (the album as a whole is a classic, but there are a few weak tunes on there). I liked maybe 3 songs off of Keep The Faith. The only other thing since then that I've dug was the "It's My Life" single. The rest of that album was lame. Everything I've heard off the new album is lame as well.

I don't know what it is that fans of these type bands, (Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc.), expect these bands to grow more and more commercial and increasingly blander as time goes on. Is it because their fans are old farts who don't like that loud rock and roll rubbish anymore?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/04/05 at 8:33 pm

I love every song off of the self-titled album. I liked three songs off of Fahrenheit. I love every song off of Slippery When Wet. I love roughly 90% of New Jersey (the album as a whole is a classic, but there are a few weak tunes on there). I liked maybe 3 songs off of Keep The Faith. The only other thing since then that I've dug was the "It's My Life" single. The rest of that album was lame. Everything I've heard off the new album is lame as well.

I don't know what it is that fans of these type bands, (Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc.), expect these bands to grow more and more commercial and increasingly blander as time goes on. Is it because their fans are old farts who don't like that loud rock and roll rubbish anymore?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

I couldn't agree more with that. :)

I'm a fan of the same Bon Jovi you are (Slippery is not only a classic, but the album that introduced me to "metal" in the first place!). As for their 'new' sound, "It's My Life" off Crush was okay, and it rightfully restored them to the charts a few years ago.

The 2002 follow-up, which I didn't buy (and from the reviews I read and the soundclips, didn't seem like it would be something I'd like) was pretty much Crush Part 2. If the new album is in the same direction, it'll be the third in a row.

I think bands like them know that their new material will sell on name recognition alone, so maybe they don't put as much effort into it. I don't have a problem with them going more modern (nothing lasts forever) - bands have to try new things. But the problem is they're not doing a good modern sound.

There's a CLEAR difference between 60s or 70s bands that had new hits in the 80's and 80s bands' new material (for the most part) today. The middle aged artists had very fresh, exciting new songs in the 80's and it really sounded like they were having fun.

I don't really see that today with Leppard, Bon Jovi, etc.

Not to knock them though, even if they never came out with another note, I'll always love their 80s albums. Plus, the guys themselves are cool, even if their music isn't as much. ;)

Written By: Acidpiss on 09/05/05 at 4:08 am

I did think that the stuff that went down with Alec John Such was kinda B.S.

If he was that bad of a performer, wouldn't he have never made the cut to join the band in the first place?
Or couldn't he have been let go after the first album/tour?

I dunno exactly what went on (as I'm not in the band) but it seemed to me like there was more going on than what they said.

And, just to mention, I haven't liked a Def Leppard album since Adrenalize. Well, 3 or 4 songs off of Euphoria were okay, but Slang? Gimme a break. And X was just garbage.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/20/05 at 9:33 am

BUMP

Well, I happened to catch the video/song on VH1 this morning not long ago. I was really skeptical from what I'd heard in this thread, so it's far better than I thought.

In some ways, yeah it's still got traces of the "It's My Life" sound (which was duplicated on the 2002 album Bounce) but more fun and catchy. Heck, it's even got a guitar solo! 8)

Overall, I'd say it's a mix of modern rock and 80's pop/rock. Maybe I was a little hard on it earlier. I hope the other songs are somewhat in this vein.

Check for new replies or respond here...