inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This is soooooo weird!!!

Written By: OliverDK on 09/05/05 at 9:51 am

This is just so f**king weird; I hadn't really thought about it like that before, but I recently read this piece - forgot where - talking about how when our generation - and those born before us - said we were playing we usually meant some kind of physical activity, but that kids today say playing the mean on the computer.

Okay, I guess that didn't exactly come as a big surprise - especially if you have kids, I don't - but get this; I was chillin' out in front of the TV last night, and this Public Service Announcement telling parents to make sure that their children do at least sixty minutes of physical activity a day.

Is that just the weirdest thing or what, I mean have things really gotten that bad.

Subject: Re: This is soooooo weird!!!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/05/05 at 1:21 pm

There are a lot of fat kids out there.  They could use some exercise.

Written By: OliverDK on 09/05/05 at 8:41 pm

That's just it Chris; as it turns out this is a big radio/tv campaign and it's meant for kids in general, not just for those with weight problems.

Written By: Tam on 09/05/05 at 11:20 pm

Kids today are now being called:

Generation O

O = Obese

Written By: kairi747 on 09/06/05 at 1:48 am

it's not all that weird to me.  when i was teaching back in the late 80's - mid 90's (i'm now a stay-at-home mom  ;D) i remember the first really nice day of the spring.  a teacher said to her class, "you'll be able to go outside and play when you get home today."  her response was a bunch of blank stares - they had no clue what that meant!  like you said, they would all go home and "play" on the computer.  sad, isn't it?  i am happy to say that i am fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood with lots of kids who do play outside all the time.  this summer was a huge dodgeball-fest!

Written By: rip_jeans on 09/06/05 at 7:32 pm

It could be the fact that while growing up in the 80's, we didn't have a computer. But, even if you did own one, could you do the things like accessing the www, e-mail, or download files like you could today? "Playing" back in my days means shooting hoops, riding our bikes, ditch em, ringing your neighbors door bell and running away from the property before the owner opens the door and much more.

Written By: OliverDK on 09/07/05 at 7:46 am

It could be the fact that while growing up in the 80's, we didn't have a computer. But, even if you did own one, could you do the things like accessing the www, e-mail, or download files like you could today? "Playing" back in my days means shooting hoops, riding our bikes, ditch em, ringing your neighbors door bell and running away from the property before the owner opens the door and much more.

Exactly, I mean we did have computers - sort of - in the 80s, but they weren't as important a part of our lives as they are today, I must admit that I've been hit by this myself; not so long ago I used to start the day with a cigarette, now I turn on my computer - to check for e-mails - and then I lite my cigarette.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/07/05 at 8:18 am

This cracks me up too...Kids nowadays have no concept of the real outdoors!!...If I didnt have a pool my kids woulda stayed in all the time..I was always trying to tell them about when I was little and all we had was outside..Again..The BLANK stares..LOL... :o I remember when some of the mothers in my nieghborhood would even LOCK thier doors for hours..( you kids STAY outside!!,, God knows what they were doing in there..LOL)...We LOVED to be outside..I NEVER came home unless I had to...I would be 2 or 3 blocks away playing Kickball..Dodgeball..Freeze Tag..Hide and Seek..Or Playing Lewis and Clark..exploring new and Wild frontiers!!!  It was the BEST..The thing about today tho also is that its just not Safe like it used to be...We could wander then and not worry so much about getting kidnapped..I worry ALL the time when my Daughter is outside...constantly watching out the window...

Written By: karen on 09/07/05 at 9:19 am

The thing about today tho also is that its just not Safe like it used to be...We could wander then and not worry so much about getting kidnapped..I worry ALL the time when my Daughter is outside...constantly watching out the window...

Do you really think it is more dangerous outside than it used to be?  Or is it just that things are reported more now?

Written By: 80s gail on 09/07/05 at 1:32 pm

i've not got kids but if i did i  would worry an awful lot. i used to be out all the time when i was a kid my parents couldn't get me in the house used to play out at night too. it's very sad that todays kids can't do this

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/07/05 at 1:50 pm

Do you really think it is more dangerous outside than it used to be?  Or is it just that things are reported more now?

Nope.

When i was a nipper growing up in the mid 90's i always used to go out and play. We'd have big football games, build dam's across the brook (that the council had to be called to remove  ;D) and ride our bikes for miles.

Nowadays, if i'd play football with my mates we would still see young kid's, but nowhere near as many. I also think part of the problem is parental controls. If my mother had her way i would have been in back or front yard. My father on the other hand was the one who said 'Go on, bugger off out of the house'

Written By: OliverDK on 09/07/05 at 1:58 pm

It's sad to admit it, but it seems like games that have been played for generations are dying out, our favorite game was called Daaseskjul - roughly translated Daase means Can (As in sodacan) and Skjul means Hiding or Hideout - and the main concept was that the rest of us would hide, and the one who was It would try to find us, once the It had found someone he or she would run back to the can and shouted out " 1-2-3... The name of the one found ...In the can " and if one of us could run up to the can and shout "1-2-3 all out of the can " and everyone was free, it was usually played after sunset, but I haven't seen anyone playing games like that for a very long time.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/07/05 at 2:01 pm

I know that sometimes I have to really give my kids a nudge to get them to go outside and play.  :-\\

Written By: rip_jeans on 09/08/05 at 4:19 am

This cracks me up too...Kids nowadays have no concept of the real outdoors!!...If I didnt have a pool my kids woulda stayed in all the time..I was always trying to tell them about when I was little and all we had was outside..Again..The BLANK stares..LOL... :o I remember when some of the mothers in my nieghborhood would even LOCK thier doors for hours..( you kids STAY outside!!,, God knows what they were doing in there..LOL)...We LOVED to be outside..I NEVER came home unless I had to...I would be 2 or 3 blocks away playing Kickball..Dodgeball..Freeze Tag..Hide and Seek..Or Playing Lewis and Clark..exploring new and Wild frontiers!!!  It was the BEST..The thing about today tho also is that its just not Safe like it used to be...We could wander then and not worry so much about getting kidnapped..I worry ALL the time when my Daughter is outside...constantly watching out the window...

I'm with you on this one. Between grades 3 and 5 while in elementary school which ended at 3 pm, I didn't come home until 7 pm. And that was on a daily basis. It was a group of friends about 10 and we do all types of sports activities. You name it, we did it. It was the thing to do, to be seen outdoors having fun. It was the cool thing to do. If you stayed inside, you basically had no friends. In my case what was weird was that one day I would hangout with a group of friends in the same grade as me and they were mostly males. Another day I would hangout with a different group of friends, but they were one year older than me and they were mostly females. And you know what, no matter which group of friends a hungout with, we all did the same type of activities and was never inside anyones houses. Growing up I hated staying inside the house.

Written By: kairi747 on 09/08/05 at 9:17 am

my kids still play dodgeball, manhunt, tag, hind and go seek, capture the flag, etc....
and sometimes i even play with them!  i love it!  :D

Written By: OliverDK on 09/08/05 at 11:00 am

my kids still play dodgeball, manhunt, tag, hind and go seek, capture the flag, etc....
and sometimes i even play with them!  i love it!  :D

That's what I like to hear.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/08/05 at 6:41 pm

There are a lot of fat kids out there.  They could use some exercise.

Like me! Hey, look, a donut! *mmmm*

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/08/05 at 8:22 pm

;D  I know!! I hated to be inside as well..Unless I was watching M-TV>>LOL>>>But that was when I was older and at nite... we NEVER came inside...and I do think It was safer back then....I dont really remember Near as much Kidnapping and such..Id stay out till Past dark even.. The time I came home was..A neighbor bought 6 doors down had a Huge BELL hanging in the front yard..Im Talkin you could hear it 6 blocks away!!!...The mom or dad would pull the chain and ring it when thier 3 kids supper was ready and I would head home as well...Isnt that Hysterical??? And I didnt live in the country either..in the suburbs..in the middle of a bunch of subdivisions!!..I thought it was a great idea then...But that was wayyy before Cell phones!!..That bell is Still in the front yard!!

Check for new replies or respond here...