inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Go-bots question?

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/12/05 at 10:09 am

Hi guys,
Are there any Go-bots fans here from Australia? I ask this because i'm so sure that in Australia Go-bots was actually called Machine Men. Am i correct? I can't find anything related in google searches when i type "Machine Men" or "Machine Men - 80s cartoons"
I distictly remember the theme music at the start which went "mighty Machine Men, mighty robots, mighty Machine Men, mighty vehicals". Were the words to the theme music of the one that aired in the U.S. different to what i just mentioned? You know, like the word Machine Men replaced with Go-gots. Because if that is the case, then i'm probably right about it being called Machine Men in Australia & vice versa.

Subject: Re: Go-bots question?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/12/05 at 10:21 am

Your right....

The lyrics in North America for the ads were....

Mighty Go Bots, Might Robots, Mighty Vehicles, Mighty Go Bots, Go Bots!

I am from Canada, and more of a Transformers fan.

P.S. Did you see or hear of Go Bots: Challenge of The Rock Lords?  ???

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/12/05 at 10:37 am

Your right....

The lyrics in North America for the ads were....

Mighty Go Bots, Might Robots, Mighty Vehicles, Mighty Go Bots, Go Bots!

I am from Canada, and more of a Transformers fan.

P.S. Did you see or hear of Go Bots: Challenge of The Rock Lords?   ???

Yes i remember Rocklords.  I remember during a school holiday back in 86 or 87 my mum took us on a trip to the city & remember i wanted a G1 Ravage & while i was on the train i asked my mum if she'd buy me Ravage. An old lady sitting across from us overheard & asked me "what's a Ravage" LOL. I'll never forget that, i wonder if that old lady is still alive now. Anyhow i couldn't find Ravage in any toy store that day so i got the Constructicon called Mix Master & my brother got a Rocklord. Don't ask me the name of the Rocklord character my brother got that day because there's no way in hell i remember.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/12/05 at 10:44 am

Yes i remember Rocklords.  I remember during a school holiday back in 86 or 87 my mum took us on a trip to the city & remember i wanted a G1 Ravage & while i was on the train i asked my mum if she'd buy me Ravage. An old lady sitting across from us overheard & asked me "what's a Ravage" LOL. I'll never forget that, i wonder if that old lady is still alive now. Anyhow i couldn't find Ravage in any toy store that day so i got the Constructicon called Mix Master & my brother got a Rocklord. Don't ask me the name of the Rocklord character my brother got that day because there's no way in hell i remember.

My favorite name for a Go Bot is Cy-Kill.

He is an evil robot, who kills....  ;D

http://www.progressiveboink.com/b/images/hanna/cy-kill.jpg

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/12/05 at 10:57 am

My favorite name for a Go Bot is Cy-Kill.

He is an evil robot, who kills....  ;D

http://www.progressiveboink.com/b/images/hanna/cy-kill.jpg

Yeah i remember Cy-kill he was the motorcycle & the leader of the evil Go-bots. My little cousin had the toy of Cy-kill.

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/12/05 at 11:12 am

I still can't figure out why the hell they changed it from Go-bots to Machine Men in Australia. It really makes no sense & was completely pointless.
I know that changing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Teenage Mutant "Hero" Turtles in the UK was done because the word ninja is Japanese for assisin & implied a voilent nature, but if you ask me it was yet another totally pointless excercise.

Written By: Acidpiss on 09/12/05 at 4:06 pm

Go-Bots = ghetto Transformers.

They were a paltry attempt to capiltalize on the transforming robot craze, which we all know Transformers ruled.

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/12/05 at 4:55 pm

Go-Bots = ghetto Transformers.

They were a paltry attempt to capiltalize on the transforming robot craze, which we all know Transformers ruled.

Are you sure you're not still 8 years old? Man who really give's a flying fu*k, that's not even what this discussion is about. I already know all about Transformers. I started this topic because i was asking a question about the less mentioned Go-bots which i have vague memories of compared to Transformers, which everyone constantly talks about. Who really cares which one is better. That's the most unoriginal commonly used lame comment i read & hear from so many people. We all know Transformers was superior, so whart's your point.
Anyway you're half wrong there. I'll admit i liked Transformers better & it certainly made a bigger impact on my life as a kid, but i have fond memories of both & here's how it really is.
Gobots was never a rip off of Transformers, or vice versa. The 2 just happened to come to the USA at the same time. To be honest i kind of remember the Go-bots (Machine Men) cartoons hitting Australia before Transformers ever did. Although Transformers had been around for years (late 70s) in Japan through Takara long before the west had ever had a taste of it. It's all capitilizing on ideas & marketing, Hasbro just capitilized on Takara's original idea in the U.S. Bottom line is it's all about making money, every bozo knows that. Also, Hasbro bought the Gobots name back in the early 90's in an attempt to bury their compitition forever. "Transformers: Gobots" is a kids line put out by Hasbro these days, to use the name, however it has no relation to the Tonka Gobots of the 80's. Like it, or hate it, because of Hasbro buying the property, we may never see a re-release of the series or the toys ever. Who really cares if it's "Ghetto" Transformers anyway, i liked both for different reasons. Arguing over which one is better is d*mn lame & totally pointless, period.  Well you can keep p*ssing in the wind if you like though.

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/12/05 at 5:08 pm

BTW every idea is stolen from somewhere else & then changed & expanded on. I'm quite sure Takara drew their inspiration from elsewhere & capitized on it. Japan has had that sort of crazy stuff long before the U.S. jumped on the bandwagon.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/12/05 at 7:31 pm

Here's a website that has some info about Go-Bots...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobots

Written By: Satish on 09/12/05 at 7:43 pm

BTW every idea is stolen from somewhere else & then changed & expanded on. I'm quite sure Takara drew their inspiration from elsewhere & capitized on it. Japan has had that sort of crazy stuff long before the U.S. jumped on the bandwagon.

The Japanese comic book character Mazinger Z from the early 70s is generally credited with starting the "giant robot" theme that dominated Japan during the rest of that decade. It eventually arrived in the US in the mid-80s in the form of "Transformers" and "Gobots".

Check for new replies or respond here...