inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Scene from any Brat Pack Film

Written By: iluvthe80s on 09/14/05 at 7:36 am

My favorite scene from a Brat Pack movie would definitely have to be from The Breakfast Club, where Bender (Judd Nelson) asks
Vernon, "Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?"  Then Vernon responds with, "You''ll get the answer to that, Bender, next Satuday.  Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns."  ;D

Subject: Re: Favorite Scene from any Brat Pack Film

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 6:29 am

Surprised I didn't answer this earlier - good topic!

Well, it's hard to pick one favorite scene from a movie like the Breakfast Club - it all flowed together so well (one of those "all in one time frame" movies, like Airplane, etc), but I personally liked when they all go out to get snacks and end up running from Vernon. ;D

As for the other movies, I'll have to think about it a bit.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/16/05 at 6:47 am

8)  I love the whole movie..Breakfast Club..All the scenes had meaning to me..I could really relate to the one where Alley Sheedy and Emilio Estevez were talking about parents and he asks her..So..what do they do to you?...and she replies..They ignore me...I love the scene too where Judd Nelson was brushing his teeth with Molly Ringwalds eyelash brush..Hysterical..only a chick would appreciate that!...I liked alot of scenes in St Elmos Fire too...One that sticks out is where Judd Nelson goes to rescue Demi from a "Gangbang" and all the arabs were watching MTV...then she says she doesnt want to go home cause she doesnt wanna "waste all this good coke"...and calls the hot Jewish guy from accounting...LOL...

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 6:51 am

^ I agree - I must've totally missed the eyelash brush part though. ;D

The more emotional and serious side of the movie is extremely relateable (and timeless) on a personal level too - probably why it became such a big success. I actually only just saw it for the first time a couple months ago (hard to believe, lol) and always hoped they really did remain friends "next Monday".

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/16/05 at 6:59 am

8)  Me Too!!  I know it was just a movie but I always thought it would be so cool if the next monday Bender and the Prom Queen walked the halls together...and Emelio and Alley were a couple..I love the scene at the end too where she rips his patch off his Varsity Jacket...

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 7:02 am

8) Me Too!! I know it was just a movie but I always thought it would be so cool if the next monday Bender and the Prom Queen walked the halls together...and Emelio and Alley were a couple..I love the scene at the end too where she rips his patch off his Varsity Jacket...

Yeah. I really changed my mind about Bender through the movie the most. I kinda thought he was a jerk at first, but then you could totally see why later on.

Even though I'm a guy I could relate to Allison too, since she pretty much just did her own thing and didn't care what people thought. It was nice seeing her come out of her shell too. :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/16/05 at 7:30 am

:) Yep I was like her..did my own thing too...Didnt you love the scene when she walks out with her hair back and makeup ( after Molly gave her the makeover) Anthony Michael Hall's reaction was excellent..

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 7:48 am

Oh yeah, now that comes back to me too - I liked both versions of her actually, but that was still cool. :)

BTW, on an off note, I loved all of Anthony Michael Hall's characters -- he was a nerd, but a nerd with a humorous, cool/wild side, as opposed to a "dorky" nerd, if that makes any sense. ;)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/16/05 at 7:54 am

8)  I really think Anthony Michael Hall was an underated actor.. He was perfect as the nerd..I cried at the scene about him having the flare gun in his locker...it was very moving then turned to funny..great scene,,( glad he has a great series now..he deserves it..)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 8:03 am

^ Me too. :(

That was one of those things I had to watch a couple times before the full reality of it totally sunk in. But it got to me as well.

P.S. My fave role of his was Rusty in the original (Wally World) Vacation.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/16/05 at 8:07 am

:D Yes!!!!! dont you just love when Rusty gulps dads beer..LOL............

Written By: TC1970 on 09/16/05 at 7:15 pm

When Rob Lowe lights the flame using an aerosol can.  :)

Written By: chiefyamick on 09/17/05 at 8:41 pm

You have to love the scene from "Breakfast Club" when they're dancing in the library.... ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/17/05 at 11:56 pm

8) I also loved pretty much ALL the scenes in 16 candles...The background sounds were sooo funny..loved Ev scene Long Duck Dong was in!!..I love my American girlfriend!!..LOL...

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/18/05 at 9:29 am

Yeah, LDD was cool - I always got a huge kick out of the fact that most of what he said was either humorous or quasi s*xual - in a very cute/non offensive way though!

Back when I first got the internet (my dad and I shared the computer) we had his "No more yank-ee...." soundbite as the Error message for awhile! ;D

On another note, I also loved it when Samantha and her dad are talking about her younger brother - she says "Mike thinks I'm a dork" and dad says, "Mike is a dork". So fitting and true! ;)

Written By: Triviamom on 09/20/05 at 7:10 pm

"Dong's been here for 5 hours and he has somebody. I've lived here my whole life and I'm like a disease".

"Fresh breath is a priority in my life".

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/20/05 at 7:52 pm

8) " The Donger is Tired!!".........OOHH and when sam says..." I cant believe my grandma just felt me up!"....LOLLLLLLLLL

Written By: Perryfan on 09/21/05 at 9:55 am

"Oh, look, she's gotten her boobies....and they're so perky!"

Written By: Dagwood on 09/21/05 at 6:29 pm

Every scene with Long Duc Dong in Sixteen Candles.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/05 at 1:54 am

My favorite scene from a Brat Pack movie would definitely have to be from The Breakfast Club, where Bender (Judd Nelson) asks
Vernon, "Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?"  Then Vernon responds with, "You''ll get the answer to that, Bender, next Satuday.  Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns."  ;D

That's exactly the one I'd pick!  The whole first half of "The Breakfast Club" totally rocks!
Another great moment is when Vernon tries to prop the door with the chair, and then when he tries to get Andrew to prop it open with magazine rack.  I expected MORE from a varsity letterman!
It kills me how much Bender's Led Zep pantomime reminds me of being in detention hall with the "burnouts."  It's a total flashback of uncanny realism!
Also, I still get a knot in my gut when Bender is imitating his dad bawling him out.  I had the same kind of blowouts with my dad, "No, dad, what about you?
F******k you!!!!"

Funny, one of my favorite scenes in BC is the one without any bratpackers.  The one in the basement with Vernon and Carl the janitor.  Carl was always my favorite character.
"Well, when I was a kid, I wanted to be John Lennon."
"Don't be a GOOF, Carl!"

"You know what wakes me up in cold sweats in the middle of the night, that when you get old, when I get old, these kids are going to be taking care of me!"
"I wouldn't count on it."

Let's see now, favorite scenes from a few others:
SIXTEEN CANDLES: Dinner with the grandparents and Long Duk Dong.
FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF: Ferris and Cameron crank call Ed Rooney.
WEIRD SCIENCE: Chet discovers catatonic grandparents in pantry.
PRETTY IN PINK: Andie confronts Jack about mother's abandonment
^(one of the best dramatic scenes in any Hughes film, directed by Howard Deutsch)
National Lampoon's VACATION: Clark wigs out in Phoenix when the family says they want to just go home.
SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL: Duncan & co. crash Hardy's party.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/22/05 at 10:25 pm

:D  MaxwellSmart....I absolutely agree with ALL those scenes!!!  I loved Carl too........" I am The Eyes And Ears Of This School..."  Love it when he tells them about the clock and All ck thier watches..LOL!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...