inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's wierdest singers ?

Written By: electric80lady on 09/15/05 at 3:00 am

Like Eddie Murphy with " My girl wants to party all the time?" i still have it on a 45, but i
don't remember where i bought it way back then and i don't remember hearing it on the
radio.

Remember Devo ? i never did understand the video to the song "whip it."

I was also still wondering from 82/83, was Flock of Seagulls just one man or a group ?

and, was "Come on Eileen" the only hit for Dexy's Midnight Runners ?

Subject: Re: 80's wierdest singers ?

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/05 at 12:23 pm

Like Eddie Murphy with " My girl wants to party all the time?" i still have it on a 45, but i
don't remember where i bought it way back then and i don't remember hearing it on the
radio.

Remember Devo ? i never did understand the video to the song "whip it."

I was also still wondering from 82/83, was Flock of Seagulls just one man or a group ?

and, was "Come on Eileen" the only hit for Dexy's Midnight Runners ?

'Party All the Time' was quite popular back in the day.  The surprising part... it wasn't his only hit.  In 1989, he hit the top 40 again with a song called 'Put Your Mouth on Me', a song I never quite cared for.  lol

Flock of Seagulls were a 4 piece, but by 1985, had become a three piece

Come on Eileen was the only top 40 hit for Dexys Midnight Runners in North America, where it reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart.  In the UK, they had 9 top 40 hits from 1980-1986:

1980 - Dance Stance
1980 - Geno
1980 - There There My Dear
1981 - Show Me
1982 - Come on Eileen
1982 - Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)
1982 - Let's Get This Straight (From the Start)
1983 - The Celtic Soul Brothers (More Please Thank You)
1986 - Because of You

Come on Eileen was the biggest selling single of 1982 in the UK.  In America, their only other hit was 'The Celtic Soul Brothers' which reached #86 on Billboard in 1983 :)

As for the Devo video... i'm still trying to understand that one myself  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...