inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was anyone else creeped out by this Tom Petty video?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/19/05 at 7:41 pm

I've mentioned this before, but couldn't resist making an exclusive topic for it.

Anyway, I've been mildly freaked by the Alice in Wonderland themed video for "Don't Come Around Here No More" since I first saw it. That was back at maybe 2 or 3 years old, when my parents had MTV on at the time. Heck, for the longest time, I thought of Tom as this mean guy solely because of his mad hatter image there!

The sudden screams of "HEY!" didn't help either. Neither did the cake scene.

In fact, this one made me shy away from videos in general - several years later when I started watching VH1 on a regular basis (around 1991-93), I was always "on guard" for it, lol.

I was fine watching if I knew it was on (which I did several times - it was extremely popular even years later), but I wasn't fond of it "surprising" me. I have it on a couple compilation VHS tapes now, and I still feel that way! ;)

What did everyone else think of it, either then or now?

Subject: Re: Was anyone else creeped out by this Tom Petty video?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/19/05 at 7:51 pm

The cake cannibalism scene (if you wish to call that) creeped me out more!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/05 at 8:01 pm

That scene creeps me out too  :o

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/19/05 at 8:57 pm

Yeah, that part freaked me the hell out!!!! Damn, I just caught a visual of it...thank you very much! *hides in the corner*  ;D

Written By: MetalManiac on 09/19/05 at 8:59 pm

I can't remember anything specific but the video in general creeped me out and I liked that  ;)  It's been forever and a fortnight since I've seen the damn thing. Wish I could see it again.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/19/05 at 9:00 pm

Yeah, that part freaked me the hell out!!!! Damn, I just caught a visual of it...thank you very much! *hides in the corner*  ;D

Glad to be of service!  ;D

Creepy moment # 2: Drowing in a cup of tea...  ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/19/05 at 9:33 pm

::) That video Totally freaked me out..when I was young Alice in Wonderland was a fave book...after that video I was Trippin..

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/20/05 at 2:07 am

Glad to be of service!  ;D

Creepy moment # 2: Drowing in a cup of tea...  ;D

Yeah, that was a bit creepy (not like the cake though). I thought it was semi-cool to be in a big cup like that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/20/05 at 9:38 am

^ Yeah, I actually liked the huge donuts and sugar cubes, LOL!

While the cake eating scene was pretty creepy, I think another one that rivals it (which I never quite understood) is during the bridge of the song. They're all at the table eating donuts and sugar, when Tom dives forward across the table, landing on "Alice", then pushes over a stroller containing a baby pig with its nose getting bigger.

Freakin' weird! ;)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/20/05 at 10:45 am

Yes, that video was very creepy... Fit the song though ???

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/05 at 4:48 pm

I always wondered if I was the only one who thought it was really bizarre - I guess I wasn't alone!

Written By: TC1970 on 09/20/05 at 5:13 pm

The cake part was a bit odd but Tom Petty creeps me out in genreal.  :P

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/20/05 at 5:55 pm

Me too! It was on the top 5 best music videos of 1985 on the TV show "Back in..." and I could not believe that because the video somewhat still creeps me out after a few views of it!

But then... it makes Snow White look less scary!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/05 at 6:30 pm

It definately looks like a bad acid trip or something.

Cat

Written By: Triviamom on 09/20/05 at 6:48 pm

While I thought it rather bizzare at first, I didn't find it creepy at all. It sort of reminded me of the whole 70's, drug-induced, HR Pufnstuf-esque era. If you read Alice in Wonderland, the whole book has many, many events that could only have been conjured up with the help of some drug-induced hallucinations. ;) I think Petty just embraced those references when he made that video.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/22/05 at 12:30 pm

It definately looks like a bad acid trip or something.

Cat
  WELL THATS THE THING... PERSONALLY, i FOUND THE VIDEO WAY LESS CREEPY THAN THE MOVIE ALICE IN WONDERLAND, NOW THATS A ACID TRIP.. Walt Disney was a sick SH** ;D ;D ;D

Written By: woops on 09/22/05 at 4:50 pm

Not much

Though I'd use the word bizarre, not creepy.

Written By: Amber on 09/24/05 at 9:04 pm

Haha, I always liked that video.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/25/05 at 12:26 pm

While I thought it rather bizzare at first, I didn't find it creepy at all. It sort of reminded me of the whole 70's, drug-induced, HR Pufnstuf-esque era. If you read Alice in Wonderland, the whole book has many, many events that could only have been conjured up with the help of some drug-induced hallucinations. ;) I think Petty just embraced those references when he made that video.
Well said and I agree :)

Written By: zcrito on 09/25/05 at 12:43 pm

I remember the video well. It stood out from the others at the time since it was so odd and negative. Even the VJs used to comment on it.
Tom Petty was becoming like Pink Floyd with songs that were a little too spiteful for me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/05 at 1:03 pm

I remember the video well. It stood out from the others at the time since it was so odd and negative. Even the VJs used to comment on it.
Tom Petty was becoming like Pink Floyd with songs that were a little too spiteful for me.

Yeah, it did almost seem kinda angry/negative.

I think it would've balanced better if he'd filmed a funny, off center video that contrasted the more negative nature of the song. Much like Huey Lewis did with his videos, for instance.

Do you remember what any of the VJ's said about it offhand? Just curious.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/05 at 6:15 pm

I like the video, but also find it creepy too.

Written By: SkyLowLow on 09/28/05 at 9:01 pm

I've mentioned this before, but couldn't resist making an exclusive topic for it.

Anyway, I've been mildly freaked by the Alice in Wonderland themed video for "Don't Come Around Here No More" since I first saw it. That was back at maybe 2 or 3 years old, when my parents had MTV on at the time. Heck, for the longest time, I thought of Tom as this mean guy solely because of his mad hatter image there!

The sudden screams of "HEY!" didn't help either. Neither did the cake scene.

In fact, this one made me shy away from videos in general - several years later when I started watching VH1 on a regular basis (around 1991-93), I was always "on guard" for it, lol.

I was fine watching if I knew it was on (which I did several times - it was extremely popular even years later), but I wasn't fond of it "surprising" me. I have it on a couple compilation VHS tapes now, and I still feel that way! ;)

What did everyone else think of it, either then or now?

I'm not sure about being creepy out.

But I do remember it fbeing the first truely "trippy" video I saw.  It was so strange and weird yet, it was impossible to turn away.  I think it may be the reason I like Petty.  Or is that the reason I smoked pot?....  Damn you Petty! :P

Written By: drewbru on 10/01/05 at 10:45 pm

As a big Pink Floyd fan in the 80's (see my avatar), I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  Much of Pink Floyd's music was written by Roger Waters, who expressed a lot of personal pain through the music.  I never saw it as spiteful, however.  It was more like Waters was attempting to exorcise his inner demons through music.  I also believe that he is a lyrical genius; if you listen to his lyrics from "The Walll", "The Final Cut", "Dark Side of the Moon", and "Animals", they are very intelligent, more along the lines of poetry.  IMHO, only Sting comes close in that department.  I agree that Pink Floyd isn't the sort of music you listen to when you want to feel good about life.

Written By: zcrito on 10/02/05 at 5:14 am

As a big Pink Floyd fan in the 80's (see my avatar), I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  Much of Pink Floyd's music was written by Roger Waters, who expressed a lot of personal pain through the music.  I never saw it as spiteful, however.  It was more like Waters was attempting to exorcise his inner demons through music.  I also believe that he is a lyrical genius; if you listen to his lyrics from "The Walll", "The Final Cut", "Dark Side of the Moon", and "Animals", they are very intelligent, more along the lines of poetry.  IMHO, only Sting comes close in that department.   I agree that Pink Floyd isn't the sort of music you listen to when you want to feel good about life.

I do like Pink Floyd. I was just surprised by a song like "Another Brick In The Wall" when it came out.
Teachers as villiains is not something I'd thought I'd hear from PF. I think it was the beginning of all "negative/spiteful" music from that point on.

I miss the early Pink Floyd.

Written By: drewbru on 10/02/05 at 9:36 am

I do like Pink Floyd. I was just surprised by a song like "Another Brick In The Wall" when it came out.
Teachers as villiains is not something I'd thought I'd hear from PF. I think it was the beginning of all "negative/spiteful" music from that point on.

I miss the early Pink Floyd.

I enjoy all of Pink Floyd's repertoire, from the early psychedelic "Ummagumma" through the anguished "The Final Cut".  I think that starting with "The Wall", Roger Waters tried to force his views on the rest of the band, which eventually led to the breakup of PF. 

Check for new replies or respond here...