inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: COMODORE 64(C)...WHO HAD ONE?

Written By: Classie83 on 09/19/05 at 9:43 pm

I miss the days when floppy disks were actually.....floppy...hehehe ::)

Subject: Re: COMODORE 64(C)...WHO HAD ONE?

Written By: Skippy on 10/11/05 at 12:39 am

I was feeling nostalgic recently and thought about getting one. Then I found some emulators, programs and games on the net. It's not exactly the same, but close.

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/05 at 12:44 am

I had a Commodore Vic-20, which according to the TV ads with William Shatner was "The future in home computer entertainment"  ;D

You had to stick the game cartridges in the back of the keyboard, then type in a series of commands to load up the game.  I believe you could also just stick in a game, turn it on, and the game would load right up, but I don't remember.

It also came with a optional tape player, which had special cassettes which worked basically like a history lesson.  The cassettes came in a brown binder that had 6 tapes per lesson

I still have my Vic-20, but it's so old, one of the pieces for it stopped working  :(

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/11/05 at 6:04 am

Yep i had one that i still played (among other games machines) up untill about 1992 or 93. My favourite all time game on C64 was Last Ninja 2 which came out about 1988, hell it's probably my all time favourite game period. It had some of the most kick a** synth music for a game ever. The music alone made me want to play that game, but the game itself was unbelievably good for 8 bit aswell & the backgrounds were so detailed. Hell i still remember the Commodore 64 commercial from the mid or late 80s in Australia & the jingle went like this: "Are you keeping up with the Commodore, because the Commodore is keeping up with you" Anyhow now i just run the emulator, the maximum 1541 speed setting is a bonus, but i miss having the real deal.

Written By: drewbru on 10/11/05 at 8:09 am

I miss the days when floppy disks were actually.....floppy...hehehe ::)

I didn't have a Commodore (my friend had one), but I did have an Apple II+, which also used floppy disks.  Every so often, I pull it out of storage and play a few games, like Snake Byte or Castle Wolfenstein.  I have the emulated versions of these games, but they just aren't the same.  It's amazing to me me that those floppy disks are still working, after 20+ years. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/05 at 11:09 pm

Nope.  We had an Apple IIe, that was our first computer.  My school had TRS-80s, which were even crappier than Commodore 64s. Were there any computers crappier than TRaSh 80s?

On the video game front, before we had our Atari system, we had an early version of Odyssey system, one evelutionary step up from Pong!
:D

Written By: Geneva on 10/15/05 at 6:32 pm

I had a Vic-20 and a Commodore 64.  Actually I still have the 64, and it still works great!  I really enjoy(ed) all the Infocom adventure games, and loved all the little extras that came in the box with them, like maps and treasures.  There's a site where you can play all the old Commodore text adventure games online, but the only drawback is you can't save.  Still fun though - www.ifiction.org.

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/16/05 at 9:14 am

Nope.  We had an Apple IIe, that was our first computer.  My school had TRS-80s, which were even crappier than Commodore 64s. Were there any computers crappier than TRaSh 80s?

On the video game front, before we had our Atari system, we had an early version of Odyssey system, one evelutionary step up from Pong!

Actually most of the games now are trash, the games back then were challenging with almost unlimited playability. Now the games have a save feature & i wonder how many kids these days go back & play the new games again from the first level after they finnish them. The fact that you had to start right from the start again with the classics meant that by the time you finished them you were a wiz at the first half of the game & new it back to front. F**k all this convex volumetric fog rendering and bilinear interpolated textures. Since when did it become acceptable for 30% of your system's resources to be devoted to rendering shadows, atmospheric scattering, ambient light effects, and all this other superfluous bullsheesh that game coders keep adding to their engines so they can win some imaginary pissing contest? Basically what i'm saying is who gives a flying f**k about graphics when all you get these days are these boring first person shooter games that all look, feel & play exactly the same LIKE DOGSH!T. If it aint a first person shooter then usually they just change the background & time period  & the weapon (eg a sword) & turn it into a ninja adventure game or something, but fundementally the game swtill looks & feels the same as everything else. I thought the 16 bit Super Nintendo era of games was the pinicle of gaming & looked good enough, not eye popping which didn't matter, because more importantly they were fun felt right a played well. To be honest i havent been excited about even one video game since the mid 90s. I'm just tired of people trashin the classic games just because they don't have these supposed eye popping 3D graphics with annoying & confusing camera angles to match, when this era has nothing exciting to offer except for just a whole bunch of over hyped over marketed eye candy. You've gotta wonder why a lot of the old stuff keeps getting rereleased on newer games consoles eg the original Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong & Pacman on Gameboy Advance, Activision Anthology on Playstation 2 & PC etc etc. It's because they are TIMELESS CLASSICS with is more than i can say for anything released in the last 5 years. I don't think i can even remember one game or care to from 5 years ago & for good reason.

Written By: Skippy on 10/16/05 at 2:04 pm

Actually most of the games now are trash, the games back then were challenging with almost unlimited playability. Now the games have a save feature & i wonder how many kids these days go back & play the new games again from the first level after they finnish them. The fact that you had to start right from the start again with the classics meant that by the time you finished them you were a wiz at the first half of the game & new it back to front. F**k all this convex volumetric fog rendering and bilinear interpolated textures...............................

Dang, every time I say the exact same thing, I get looks like I'm from Mars. I agree hole-heartedly. Playability & challenge before eye-candy. I know this is about the Commodore 64, but who here played "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on the Atari 2600? I bet I restarted 127.3 times before finally solving that stupid game.

Written By: krakboi on 10/17/05 at 1:25 am

I had this crazy executive version called the SX 64.  I can't believe my eyes were not damaged playing on the tiny ass screen.  This is what the sx-64 looked like:

http://www.classicgaming.com/jlounge/images/SX64-small.jpg

Written By: migi on 10/17/05 at 2:51 am

I had and still have (somewhere) my C-64 with hundreds of games! Damn, those days were great. I got it in Xmass 1984.
The sad thing is I don't have a working joystick so I've been trying to find one but still searching...

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/05 at 3:07 am

It must had been Christmas 1986 or 1987 when we had our first computer which was a Commodore 128, the only real good thing that  came from it was it showed how a computer thinks.

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/17/05 at 7:22 am

I had and still have (somewhere) my C-64 with hundreds of games! Damn, those days were great. I got it in Xmass 1984.
The sad thing is I don't have a working joystick so I've been trying to find one but still searching...

I can get working joysticks for it. I can get the old Atari 2600 joystick or a Sega Master System controller for it quite easily & very cheap. I used to use the Atari joysticks & when ever i broke one i'd use a Sega Master System controller temperarily untill i bought another. With the Sega controller obviously only one button was functional when plugged into the C64. You can also use a Sega Mega Drive controller aswell, they all used the same plug. This stuff is relativly easy to find here because in Australia. We have a chain of video games stores called Game Traders that take trade ins & sell vintage games, games machines & accesories aswell as selling all the latest stuff. Also another chain called Cash Converters which is a secondhand/pawn shop has a few of the old Atari joysticks in my area. It'd just be a bit of a drag to post it out to you, but i might be willing to do it for you if you are really determined & keen. I'll have to find out the details & how much it'll cost me exactly & i'll get back to you on it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/05 at 7:47 am

I can get working joysticks for it. I can get the old Atari 2600 joystick or a Sega Master System controller for it quite easily & very cheap. I used to use the Atari joysticks & when ever i broke one i'd use a Sega Master System controller temperarily untill i bought another. With the Sega controller obviously only one button was functional when plugged into the C64. You can also use a Sega Mega Drive controller aswell, they all used the same plug. This stuff is relativly easy to find here because in Australia. We have a chain of video games stores called Game Traders that take trade ins & sell vintage games, games machines & accesories aswell as selling all the latest stuff. Also another chain called Cash Converters which is a secondhand/pawn shop has a few of the old Atari joysticks in my area. It'd just be a bit of a drag to post it out to you, but i might be willing to do it for you if you are really determined & keen. I'll have to find out the details & how much it'll cost me exactly & i'll get back to you on it.
The joystick we had kept breaking.

Written By: migi on 10/18/05 at 2:44 am

Thanks a lot but I haven't REALLY tried to find one. Cash converters might be the place to check out...hmm I'll go there on my way home today. I prefered the original joysticks made for C-64 like Arcade, Turbo Arcade or Quick Shot II + or Turbo. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/05 at 2:54 pm

Actually most of the games now are trash, the games back then were challenging with almost unlimited playability. Now the games have a save feature & i wonder how many kids these days go back & play the new games again from the first level after they finnish them. The fact that you had to start right from the start again with the classics meant that by the time you finished them you were a wiz at the first half of the game & new it back to front. F**k all this convex volumetric fog rendering and bilinear interpolated textures. Since when did it become acceptable for 30% of your system's resources to be devoted to rendering shadows, atmospheric scattering, ambient light effects, and all this other superfluous balony that game coders keep adding to their engines so they can win some imaginary pissing contest? Basically what i'm saying is who gives a flying f**k about graphics when all you get these days are these boring first person shooter games that all look, feel & play exactly the same LIKE DOGSH!T. If it aint a first person shooter then usually they just change the background & time period  & the weapon (eg a sword) & turn it into a ninja adventure game or something, but fundementally the game swtill looks & feels the same as everything else. I thought the 16 bit Super Nintendo era of games was the pinicle of gaming & looked good enough, not eye popping which didn't matter, because more importantly they were fun felt right a played well. To be honest i havent been excited about even one video game since the mid 90s. I'm just tired of people trashin the classic games just because they don't have these supposed eye popping 3D graphics with annoying & confusing camera angles to match, when this era has nothing exciting to offer except for just a whole bunch of over hyped over marketed eye candy. You've gotta wonder why a lot of the old stuff keeps getting rereleased on newer games consoles eg the original Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong & Pacman on Gameboy Advance, Activision Anthology on Playstation 2 & PC etc etc. It's because they are TIMELESS CLASSICS with is more than i can say for anything released in the last 5 years. I don't think i can even remember one game or care to from 5 years ago & for good reason.

Well, I know what you mean about the "game save" option and overrated graphics of latter day gaming, but I was talking about Odyssey, I mean that's some lame-o bullsh!t!  You obviously never saw the Odyssey down-hill skiing game!  You'd turn to avoid the pixilated evergreens on the slalom run, and your skier would like like a ridged potato chip!

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/05 at 3:26 pm

Ah, the old days of computers with green text screens.  I sure don't miss those.  The TRaSh 80 was not a good computer, but I guess for it's time, it was top technology

I remember the Odyssey. That was very early technology.  Compared to the Odyssey, the Atari 2600 was like the X-Box of the early 80's  ;D

Written By: aylin gürkan on 10/26/05 at 4:01 am

I have comodore64 but I never used it.my father had bought it years ago...now it doesnot work.and I don't know how I could make it work.
my father thinks that the problem is about one of the cables...what can I do? I really want to see it working.  :-[

Written By: Mushroom on 10/26/05 at 11:37 am

I have comodore64 but I never used it.my father had bought it years ago...now it doesnot work.and I don't know how I could make it work.
my father thinks that the problem is about one of the cables...what can I do? I really want to see it working.  :-[

The first thing I would check would be the power supply.

The C-64 was notorious in having problems with the power supply.  The one that came from the factory had the entire thing sealed in a brick of epoxy.  At the time, there was a thriving market for "third party" supplies, with things like changeable fuses.

If it is more then that, you are probably best off buying another one on E-bay.

And yes, there is still a thriving "hacker 64" community out there.  There are things like IDE interfaces, Ethernet adaptors, CD-ROMS, and even more available for the old workhorses.

http://www.volny.cz/dundera/

Written By: chiefyamick on 10/26/05 at 11:00 pm

I can still say that I am an owner of a VIC-20 (and by god, it still works!!!) Just recently had to replace a couple of adaptor cables for it but I'm still in business. Don't have too many games for it though, but my fave will always be Shamus. BTW, anyone out there remember that game??? If so, anyone remember how to beat the Shadow??!!?!?!?!?!?  Yes, 20- something odd years later, it still plagues me.  :D

Written By: Jason Walker on 11/24/05 at 4:29 am

hi. i collect c64/128 software and hardware and so far have well over $4,000 worth of games etc. Its my hobby. im 32 yrs of age and have been a huge c64/128 fan since 1985 when i was 12 and my parents bought us one for $499.00 from Kmart. I live in sydney and would like to get in touch with any other c64/128 collectors.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/28/05 at 11:37 am

The first thing I would check would be the power supply.

The C-64 was notorious in having problems with the power supply.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/28/05 at 12:40 pm

Well, I know what you mean about the "game save" option and overrated graphics of latter day gaming, but I was talking about Odyssey, I mean that's some lame-o bullsh!t!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 9:05 pm

I didn't have a Commodore (my friend had one), but I did have an Apple II+, which also used floppy disks.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 9:10 pm

Oh wow, you've given me one whole example. So what, there were lots crap games on every system during the 80s. That's still better than the 97% of games that suck total sh!t these days because they're all exactly the same, First person shooter game slighty changed to be a beat em up, or a first person shooter changed slightly to be an action adventure game. Is that all they can do with all the technology we have nowadays, wow how creative. All that is to me is a cut & paste excercise. It's cause they give these people so much money & expect them to just churn these games out. Back in the 80s they had to program the graphics & all from scratch sometimes & even compose original music for the game, instead of just paying for the rights to use some top 40 peformers music & it was still better than what we have now even with what little they had to work with & there was usually more effort & care put into it. It's funny cause there'll always be ignorant people quick to make comments like yours & jump on the 80s tech bashing bandwagon & what's even sadder are all the sheep that agree & follow in that sort of thinking. It's about as immature & lame as my teenage cousins who'll see me playaing the old Nintendo & sarcasticly say "awesome graphics man" & laugh. Remember without that supposedly sh!tty technology there'd be none of your positively sh!tty clone games of today. Before making a comment like that why not do something more constructive like try some more of the other later C64 games you haven't tried instead. It's easy to play a hand full of the early sketchy games of an era & decide that the whole system or whole peroid of gaming was crap because of that. Instead why not download the C64 emulator & try a game like Last Ninja 2. You might be shocked & impressed at the standard & detail of the graphics & sound for it's time put out by a simple 8 bit system. The 80s wasn't all black & green screens & huge pixels, to me that's one of the most clitche' & inaccurate generalisations ever. By the way i have a friend who works in software development & if i told you half of what he tells me you'd probably be cynical & think modern games suck aswell & your attitude would probably be more like his & mine.
Hey the Commodore 64 was the first computer I actually was interested in and the first one I got to try out..at someone's house in New York State...They had a C64 and everything that goes with it..Lightsaver was the first game I played on that same C64...Thanks Commodore for starting me on the road to being a hardcore tech geek! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...